News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Dark Lord himself, SAURON!!

Started by spydermann93, July 06, 2016, 10:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spydermann93

Hey guys!

Are there any Lord of the Rings buffs out there? If so, could anybody explain to me the limits of Sauron's power and what exactly the One Ring does for him?

My knowledge is limited to second-hand book readings and the Peter Jackson movies, so I'm not 100% sure on how powerful (or really exactly what type of power) Sauron really is.

All I can really gather about the One Ring is that it gives people "ultimate power", but it never really specifies what that power is, exactly.

daglob

(remembering stuff from 30 years ago)

Well, you see, Morgoth is basically Satan, and Sauron is one of his minions, so...

The ring was interned to enslave the wearer's of the original rings, giving Sauron control over the lands of men, the elves, and the dwarves. This didn't happen exactly as planned. I'm not sure there was anything else beyond that. Also, the rings of the elves were never touched by Sauron.

Sauron had poured some of his power into the ring, and it had all the powers of the others. I don't remember about the dwarven rings, but the elven rings controlled water, air and fire. Possibly the dwarves rings controlled aspects of the earth. Anyway, the ring apparently enhanced Sauron's power when he wore it, sort of like Thor and his hammer, and when Sauron was defeated he lost a lot of his personal power. The ring, however did not, so this is why Sauron wanted it-to regain what he could of his lost strength.

The one thing they left out of the last scene at The Grey Havens was the revelation that Galadriel  had one ring, Elrond had another, and Gandalf had the third (the one that gave him control of fire-the reason his fireworks were so neat, and one reason why he had a chance against the Balrog). Oh, and Gandalf was an angel. ;)

spydermann93

Has Sauron ever been mentioned manipulating the elements at all, or was that just the Ring Bearers that used that stuff? All I saw him do in the movies was swing that giant mace around, but I know that there has to be more to his power than that in the books. You know, aside from commanding vast legions of Orcs, Trolls, and those blasted Nazgul. :P

And I never knew about the fire control of Gandalf and that makes quite a bit of sense. Alongside his magical status, that is :P

daglob

I don't remember; it was always "He's a big bad sorcerer... Eeeek! Ruanway!" and worry. He could resurrect the dead, but maybe only if you wore a ring. He could summon nasty critters. He could change his appearance so that he looked fair and elven. I haven't read all the books in the Lost Tales or Histories, and everything I have is in a box someplace. Seems like there was just a lot of talking about how bad he was in the original trilogy.

spydermann93

For now, all I have for him is his mace and an "In The Darkness Bind Them" direct attack that Hypnotizes the target. Oh, and a Passive Defense against all attacks except Mental (I feel that he's resistant to Magic).

Don't really know what else to do for him :P

daglob

A paralysis attack. He was supposed to have tutored some elves in magic, but I don't remember if it was specified what kind of magic.

Tolkein was a little vague on some things, such as battle scenes.