News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Marvel Adventures Testing Thread

Started by BentonGrey, July 07, 2016, 12:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

Quote from: daglob on July 30, 2016, 03:00:39 PM
There should be a chance that The Hulk will fail, otherwise why bother to play?

Exactly. In the comics, Hulk would probably win, but this is a game. There should be some sense of relative balance, with even the most powerful characters having some chance of getting their arses kicked. But if someone like Hulk or Superman were to be completely unstoppable, than what's the point of even playing the game?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Jimaras8 on July 30, 2016, 02:20:47 PM
CB seems to me Hulk and Juggernaut are evenly matched in the comics. Have you given any sort of passive shield attribute to Juggie?

No, I haven't messed with any of the Stats, Attributes, Powers, Etc. While I could go in and change what I feel needs to be changed, basically, I want to play it as a noob would play it, to see how enjoyable it is, what the replay level is, and then worry about if any changes might be needed.

spydermann93

I'm really glad to hear that Cyber's test was so close, because in a fight between those two, it should be really close in some form or another. They both have limitless stamina (I have never seen either of them get tired) and their damage output can't really put the other down.

From a comic point of view: Juggernaut has a mystical shield powered by Cyttorak himself (who is above the power of Galactus, mind you) that's sole gimmick is being able to resist essentially any amount of force. Juggernaut and the Hulk have fought for years, neither one of them pulling a win. His sole and only weakness is mental attacks, none of which Hulk has. The only way Hulk could win the fight is if he throws Juggernaut off into space or sticks him so far in the Earth, it would take Juggernaut forever to get out. Other than that, neither of them could really put each other down, especially since they both only ever really just punch each other (Juggernaut may actually fight a bit smarter than good ol' Jade Jaws).

From a gameplay point of view: Juggernaut should be highly resistant to almost all physical attacks, the only type of attack the Hulk has in his arsenal. To me, the Hulk does not have the necessary advantages to overpower Juggernaut's power set nor does Juggernaut have the damage output to significantly overcome the Hulk's growing resistances (Defense Mechanism, ftw). It's fine here to see them both hurting each other since this is a game and having a match last for literal days would be a bit crazy and kill the gaming mood.

BentonGrey

Fair points, all, great discussion.  Thanks guys!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

I will say though, that I had thought that since the match had been going on for a while, and the combatants were finally running low on life points, that the fight was nearing it's end. I really didn't expect Juggernaut to fully regenerate his life points from almost nothing, to absolutely full in the blink of an eye, hence starting the fight over from scratch. Mind you, I was ok with that since it was a good fight, I just was wasn't expecting it.

Jimaras8

Benton, i have noticed an issue with some of the strings. For example all the serpent Society members have strings that look like this for their names: ss puff adder_01, puff adder. So their names in-game should be Puff Adder but i'm seeing ss_puff_adder. The desc of the name string hasn't changed. This happens to all the shield agents, the Hydra Machihnes like Gorgon and Dreadnought and some street level heroes like Coleen Wing and Shang-chi. Also Adam warlock. The weird thing is that evey other hero i have modified their names it appears fine inga-me. For example i have turned mhluke_cage_01, mhlukecage to mhluke_cage_01, luke cage and it appears fine in-game. Any thoughts?

BentonGrey

CB, I go back and forth about whether I should remove the Heropoint entries from everyone's AIs.  I do so for villains and minions that are in the campaigns, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it.

Jim, that's strange.  Given the errors I've discovered in the pulp mod's language files, I wonder if that might be the type of thing that is going on.  Were you using M25's tool to generate the dats?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 01, 2016, 10:59:36 PM
CB, I go back and forth about whether I should remove the Heropoint entries from everyone's AIs.  I do so for villains and minions that are in the campaigns, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it.

Jim, that's strange.  Given the errors I've discovered in the pulp mod's language files, I wonder if that might be the type of thing that is going on.  Were you using M25's tool to generate the dats?

I think removing them is the best idea. Villains get double the health as is (which is basically a heroic) and minions are, well, minions. I don't think your typical goons should be reviving themselves :P

BentonGrey

I should have clarified, I do try to remove them from the minions entirely.  You may be right about the villains.
God Bless

Cyber Burn

I tried the XMen2 Campaign, but got stuck on a Rooftop somewhere (I think). I got up to the Rooftop, but then lost my Character.  :huh:

I had run Alpha Flight earlier, and wanted to give them more of a challenge, so I put them against the Hulk. Poor Hulk didn't stand a chance, nor did he last very long...Actually, he didn't even take down any of Alpha Flight's Members.

spydermann93

Yikes! I see what you mean, Cyber!

That Genetic Damage did quite a number on him, haha :lol:

Well, the only ways to really deal with that is remove Hulk's resistances (Physical Resistance + Inv will do it) or make him H. Resistant to Radiation (which would be accurate, imho) or get rid of the Genetic Damage attack that somebody has (but that would have to go for everybody in the mod).

BentonGrey

Yikes!  That's unexpected!  I've put Hulk up against the X-Men and the Avengers with much better results.  Hmm...

CB, in X2, how exactly did you lose your character?  Did they just get out of camera range?

I have my camera set to the infinite dimensions.  I should probably make the mod have that too, considering that I'm using some high-rise maps.  Anyone know where those files are located?
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 02, 2016, 02:43:02 AM
CB, in X2, how exactly did you lose your character?  Did they just get out of camera range?

I have my camera set to the infinite dimensions.  I should probably make the mod have that too, considering that I'm using some high-rise maps.  Anyone know where those files are located?

Yeah, the building he climbed was too high for the camera to see, then he started losing damage little by little, and I had no idea who I was fighting. I tried to find the enemy (Most likely Hand Ninjas), but I couldn't fight what I couldn't see. When I tried to escape, I got knocked silly, and couldn't leave. I got stuck on the Rooftop until I had to stop playing to eat.

BentonGrey

Yeah, so I definitely need to fix the camera range.  Thanks CB, I would never have thought of that!
God Bless

BentonGrey

Okay, I've tried generating Lang files as well, and though I didn't get any error messages, they didn't update properly either.  I have no idea what the heck is going on.

:EDIT: Okay, I deleted the .temp strings file, and that seems to have fixed the problem.
God Bless

Jimaras8

I have seem to have found a work-around the names problem. I noticed that the problematic strings are the ones with gap between the words. For example i changed wonder man_01, wonder man to wonder_man_01, wonder man and the names appears fine in game. I have also done it with Dum Dum Dugan and it worked. So it seems that if there is a space between the words the strings only read the first part and not the descr.

BentonGrey

Ahh, that makes sense.  I don't know how those get in there without underscores in the first place.  Be sure to keep track of who you changed that way, because I'll need to check their entries in FFEdit too.
God Bless

Jimaras8

Every SHIELD agent, every serpent Society member, Shang-chi, She-Hulk, Coleen Wing, Adam warlock and Wonder Man. I will update the list once i find more.

BentonGrey

Okay, as I expected, all of them are properly formatted in FFEdit, so there was some kind of glitch when their strings were created.  I'm glad you noticed that Jim!
God Bless

Jimaras8

No problem. I'm about to finish the strings for the SS members powers so i will send you the updated strings.txt tomorrow. Then i will comb the rest of the characters. I haven't added bios, i will probably do it in the end.

Jimaras8

Ok i noticed another thing that really bugs me. In some characters the majority of string desription s are ok and then 1 or 2 powers don't generate the description. For example in ferdelance 90% of her powers appear normal and then her enhanced reflexes defense appears ss_ferdelance reflexes instead of "enhanced reflexes". The same with Diamondback's exlposive diamonds. It only appears in string form in-game.

BentonGrey

Ahh, you've stumbled upon an artifact from my trouble with adding in the characters.  Adding through the RR does a lot of cleanup for you, including truncating power names when necessary.  I had to add through EZHero, and it didn't truncate power names, so I had to do it by hand.  The ones you are having problems with are the ones I screwed up.  For example, Diamondback's explosive diamonds are actually listed as ss_diamondback ex diamond in FFEdit, but the string lists "ss diamondback ex diamonds_01"  You'll notice the lack of an underscore, which I imagine you've already been fixing, and the extra "s."  The same is true for Fer de Lance, whose 'reflex' is 'reflexes' in the strings.

On another note, I've made some tweaks to the first Avengers mission that should make it easier and hopefully prevent players getting wiped out in the first moment.
God Bless

trebean

I dunno if I should post here or the main Marvel Adventures thread but this one seems to be the most active. Anyway, is it just my eyes or do the skins for some of the characters seem a bit degraded? I didn't notice it at first but when I played it alongside the non mod characters it looked a little off, so I compared them to the skins on the AlexFF site and I do see some lost in quality. Was this intentional (like does it stop the bug of skins not loading properly sometime) or was it just a side effect of converting them to DDS format? I'll post a picture when I get back on my main computer.

BentonGrey

Howdy Trebean.  If there is degradation of skins, it is likely caused by conversion, though it really shouldn't be too noticeable.
God Bless

Jimaras8

benton, i have a couple of follow-up questions. Also exepct the strings tonight.

1. I'm seeing Princess Python in the strings but not in-game. I only see Python the animal which i assume is her pet?

2. Should Attuma and Lilandra be in the heroes character screen? Attuma is Namor's biggest enemy and all the Sh'ar toopers are in the foes screen.

BentonGrey

Okay Jim:

1) She's there as ss_princess

2) Lilandra should be there, Attuma shouldn't.  I've fixed that.
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Jimaras8 on August 06, 2016, 03:15:28 PM
benton, i have a couple of follow-up questions. Also exepct the strings tonight.

1. I'm seeing Princess Python in the strings but not in-game. I only see Python the animal which i assume is her pet?

Quote from: Cyber Burn on July 16, 2016, 07:43:57 PM
On a side note, you have a Python, do you still need a Princess Python?

She's in the Character Tab in FFEdit, but as far as I can tell, there is no Skin/Mesh for her in the Library.

BentonGrey

What the heck is with her?  I thought I already fixed this.  The file is in the proper place.  Maybe there's something wrong with the data path I'm not seeing.  Ahh!  Her character and template entry weren't matched.  I've fixed that and double-checked the data path.

On another note, I got a really cool surprise recently.  Alex, of Fortress fame, contacted me to let me know he had figured out a way to create launchers that point to different campaigns!  So, one of the biggest obstacles to my super-mods is going to be removed.  No-one ever reads the darn readme, so no-one ever knows how to play the other campaigns.  This way, they'll all be at a player's fingertips!

I got some new art assets from AA too, so I'll be sending out a more or less final build soon.

Jim, thanks so much for you work on the strings, man!  That's a big help, especially with me feeling burnt out on Marvel!
God Bless

spydermann93

With AA AND Alex working on this mod with you, this mod could be called a AAA title :P