News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Just some stuff...

Started by daglob, December 28, 2013, 07:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

A cover I did for a Champions APAzine. It was originally going to be for my own contribution to a different issue a few months ago, but that cursed Real Life got in the way. When the coordinator asked if I could whip something up fast for the latest issue, I already had the sketch scanned and on my hard drive.

ShortFuse

Looks great. Always love the style of the old school covers.

Cyber Burn

You are one heck of an artist Daglob. I love it.

naitvalis

very nice "stuff" Daglob! i like all the characters style, they have indeed an "old school" fashion, however i don't like to much that "grainy" sand effect ,and also the sea and the sky need some other work in my opinion.
now if i can give a little suggest, you can enlarge that two "speacking" soldiers figures to give a more deep sense of perspective.

daglob

In a way, this is a "work in progress", which would have had more detail if the deadline weren't so short. In the original, I had some planes circling overhead (but didn't have the 1950s aircraft reference for this version), and a lot more soldiers. The desaturated pallete was deliberate, since for some reason early Altas/Marvel loved dull colors. As is, I cheated on the solders, using panels from assorted issues of G.I. Combat tracing and coloring them. That's why I dedicated the cover to them as well as Stan and Jack; they did all the hard work.

If Sluudge ever makes it into an issue, I will take your criticisms into account.

daglob

Another Haymaker cover:

Most of Doc was done by Christmas, after which computer trouble and assorted problems kept me from working on it. This is really a small version of the original, which would have had other pulp characters and NYC on one side and a tropical island on the other.

I remember John Romita Jr. saying that your best job is what you have time for, or something like that.

daglob

Today I was cleaning out an e-mail account, and look what I found:

Drifter

Patriot

Victor

Lady Victory, aka Victoria

Gigawatt

Rubber Band Man

Miss America

The Fox

Esquire

Matrix

Veil

Bronze Star

As some of you know, years ago I did the art to an independently produced module for Mutants and Masterminds entitled "Escape from Alcatraz". These are part of a follow up, "The Field Guide to Super-Heroes". The idea was to discuss certain archetypes in comics and give an example. Here we have several, such as Victor and Lady Victory (Superman and Supergirl types), Patriot (patriotic type-she's a girl, by the way), a mysterious avenger of the night (Veil, the killer harem girl), Shape-Shifter (Rubber Band Man), The Fox (a legacy hero who has had his name and birthright stolen, and spends as much time fighting corporate big business as he does crime) and others I don't remember the reason for. All, except, I think, for Drifter (the first one), are works in progress. Jason Tondro created the characters, and each one had a slight twist to the archetype, to show what could be done within the type.

detourne_me

wow!   Dude,  these are fantastic! All original characters?

daglob

Yes, but they are based on other characters. I believe Jason intended to list the comic characters that were in the archetype.