News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Smoke and Fire

Started by BentonGrey, August 20, 2016, 03:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

So, I'm back up pursuing my doctorate, four hours away from home.  I've mentioned this before, but I'm staying up here during the week and heading home on the weekends  This weekend I had to stay up here to get the semester started off right, so tonight found me sitting in my apartment doing some work when my wife called me at 11:00 at night to tell me my desktop had started smoking when she tried to turn it on.  Great.  Not only was I out of town for whatever the heck happened, but I won't even be able to get home to assess the damage until Thursday night.  One thing's for sure, the HDD is slag.  I had her facetime me and show me the inside of the case.  The cables going to the drive had literally melted off.  I have no idea of it is a total loss or if just the drive is dead.  Those of you that pray, please keep us in your prayers.  It's going to be a bit of a pinch just to replace the drive, but I don't know what we're going to do if I have to replace the entire thing.

On the plus side, I had JUST backed up my FF stuff to my laptop before I left.  My mods are safe, at least.  All the other stuff that was on my desktop and not my laptop, however...not so much.  I had just wiped it and reinstalled everything, gotten everything put on there from my backup several months ago, but I hadn't backed everything back up yet.  There's a lot that is probably lost, up in smoke.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that Benton. Of course I'll keep you in my prayers, and anything FF related I have is yours, just say the word.

daglob

BentonGrey

Thanks guys.

Well, fortunately drives have come WAY down since I last priced one.  I should be able to replace the drive and the power supply without too much trouble.  I just really, really hope that those are the only things I've got to replace.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 20, 2016, 04:30:57 AM
Thanks guys.

Well, fortunately drives have come WAY down since I last priced one.  I should be able to replace the drive and the power supply without too much trouble.  I just really, really hope that those are the only things I've got to replace.

Like CB said, anything you need, just say the word. We're here for you :)

spydermann93

That really stinks, Benton. Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like it was a mix of dust build up and a short circuit, or something like that. Dust is poison to computers.

BentonGrey

It's alive!  My rig, which I'm considering naming "Phoenix," has risen from the ashes!  I've got it up and running again, and though I still have to reinstall everything AND time is still limited, it should make modding a good deal easier again.
God Bless

spydermann93