News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 88: Batgirl New 52

Started by Podmark, August 20, 2016, 06:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the New 52 Batgirl costume?

Love
Meh
Dislike
Hate

Podmark

Once DC rebooted it's universe as the New 52 a few years ago, Barbara was back as Batgirl. This was her original costume:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Cyber Burn

While the armored look may be more appropriate for a fight, visually, this just really isn't Barbara to me. But since she's always been one of my favorite DC Characters, my judgement is probably skewed more than a bit.

Tomato

Quote from: Cyber Burn on August 20, 2016, 07:33:37 PM

Yeah, pretty much.

To me, this look is indicative of the problems the problems the Batgirl book had during this period. Gail Simone has gone on record about how the editorial staff was forcing creative decisions on the book that really didn't make sense, and the costume similarly doesn't make any sense once you start looking at it more closely. It's armored, but it's also so skintight you can see the outlines of her muscles and boobs. The gloves and boots are solid and metallic, but allow full range of motion and have fabric fold lines.

All in all, it's a mediocre costume that's trumped by versions that came before and after it.

Glitch Girl

Solid "meh" from me too.  There's a good costume in here in the basics, but it's stuck under all those extraneous armor lines and ribbing. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Podmark

I'm a very strong dislike on this one. The basics of the costume are fine, but the amount of piping and line work is ridiculous. The above image actually looks decent but most artists I've seen draw this the whole thing just looks overwhelming.
Additionally I dislike the glove and boot end designs.

This kinda looks like they were on the right track, but when too far trying to make it look realistic.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

bat1987

Gave it a meh, gravitating towards like when drawn by someone like Greg Capullo, who toned down the lines and the piping. Her Batgirl of Burnside costume is better.

BentonGrey

2 Dislike: Hey, look!  It's another over-designed New 52 costume!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/