News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

HTML/Javascript help?

Started by Tomato, September 28, 2016, 08:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

So as some of you know, I post a lot of 3d printing art via tumblr. Well, in order to help cross-pollinate my posts, I've been setting a lot of my recent stuff up so that each individual print in a set will link back to every other post in that set (Jack of AH will link to Ryan and Geoff of AH, etc.). The problem is I've been doing this all by hand... and some of the collections I have feature 15+ individual posts to have to link to per collection. Needless to say, this is getting tedious quickly.

What I would LIKE to do is set things up so I have all the links tied to a master link list, which I can modify as the posts come out. IE: instead of having to modify every single post every time a new addition is made, I can just change the ONE link in my master list to match up to the new post.

The problem is that I am super rusty with HTML and javascript, so even though I know I've done this before with various websites, I can't remember HOW. Also, there's the added wrinkle that the links would be on and for tumblr, so it's not like I can just upload javascript lists directly to their servers.

Glitch Girl

Quick question... Does tumblr let you use PHP?  If it does, you might be able to do it with an "include".
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Tomato

Not exactly, no. In order to use PHP, you have to switch things into HTML edit mode, and even then my experience is that it won't load the code unless they're on your website, meaning a viewer would have to go to your actual tumblr page to view it, instead of being able to just see it on their feed.

Edit: I have, however, found a way to add and edit custom css/javascript files to your blog.

Glitch Girl

That's good.  sorry I couldn't have been more help.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

stumpy

If tumblr lets you upload or edit HTML, this sounds like something you might tackle with an offline script. Something that parses your master list and generates the HTML that you can copy and paste into the page that goes up on tumblr. Of course, I know nothing about what tumblr let's you put up, so I may not be thinking about the right situation.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Epimethee

I suppose you want to get traffic from Google, Bing et all search results. In this case, there's an additional issue to keep in mind: If the final code for the links (what's read by the browser) is JavaScript rather than plain static HTML, it might not be picked up by search engines or it might appears lower down the search results. (Google is getting somewhat better at reading JavaScript, but the others still have a way to go.)
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com