Spider-Man Homecoming

Started by Tomato, October 04, 2016, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Wanted to make a new thread for this discussion, especially since it's not TECHNICALLY a Marvel Studios project and we've been flooding that thread.

So it's been heavily rumored for awhile now that the villains for the film will be Vulture and the Shocker (the former rumored to be played by Michael Keaton) which I'm leary of, but Shockers a small enough villain I can see him fitting in with little problem if they play their cards right. Of slightly more concern is a couple of rumors/statements that have come out lately.

QuoteSchmoes Know reports that two new pieces of information point to Logan Marshall-Green (Quarry) potentially playing Aunt May's new boyfriend, and "a surprise appearance from a character that is central to the Spider-Man mythos, one who will play a larger role in upcoming films." They could not confirm who this central figure would be, and do not indicate whether or not this character is a friend or foe.

Now this could indicate either that the character will be both a boyfriend to May AND a character central to the Spider-Man mythos, or it could be hints at two separate characters (Logan's boyfriend and either someone new OR one of the rumored villains, as neither are technically confirmed yet). Personally, my money is that Logan will be playing a younger version of Otto Octavius... People have said that he's too young, but there's clearly a sliding age range with this rendition (Otto IS younger than Aunt May) AND I suspect we're about to see a much younger Otto show up in the comics fairly soon.

Still, if it is, I don't know how to feel about his inclusion. On the one hand, Otto's quickly becoming my favorite villain, so seeing him here in a reduced capacity, with a promise of future use... I'm down. But it also would make 3 major villains in one film... and that has statistically not ended well.

That being said, Lord help us if some people's theory that the second statement applies to Norman Osborn is true, because that puts us at FOUR major villains, and that's just waaay too much.

Talavar

If Osborne was in it as a minor background character, but not an active villain, I think that would be all right just to establish his existence.  Same goes for Octavius.  If they're actively villaining it up, that's too many in my opinion.

BWPS

I think having three villains could work but they may have to cut one or two dance numbers.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I saw an article a while ago that made it sound like that was the case. It said she wouldn't be a love interest for Peter. I took that as a pretty good sign that she wasn't MJ.

She said she's playing Michelle. I like to think we can trust her on that. It's not in the interest of anyone involved to lie about who her character is.

If she's playing Michelle Gonzalez (which a lot of people speculated she would be) I don't think that anyone would have issue with that specifically, since from what I've seen online most people hated that character in the comics (for good reason, though admittedly she was better written in her earliest appearances) and so I doubt people would object to them using the name and assigning to a character the same age as a high-school aged Peter Parker. Spectacular Spider-Man did the same thing for quite a few Spidey supporting characters (two of which, Harry and MJ, had that role in the Ultimate Spider-Man comic to begin with) so I don't see the problem. Some people did complain about SSM changing some things, but I don't recall that being one.

The article you posted claims this might be a Star Trek Into Darkness situation. I don't think that's an apt comparison because ST was a plot twist and I don't think there's a plot reason why MJ would be presented with a fake name.

Incidentally,  Micheal Keaton has been confirmed to be playing Vulture.

On the one hand, yeah, the novelty of the star of Birdman playing Vulture is cute, I think Keaton's a pretty good actor and he's a good age to play Vulture. On the other hand, the problem with Vulture in a movie (or anything, really) is the same as Angel from X-Men. How do you make a character who's only gimmick is "he can fly" interesting after you've already done characters who can fly AND do other stuff. The 90's Spider-Man cartoon had to get pretty creative to give Toomes something interesting to do, and the comics have had multiple Vultures, including one that spits acid and some that are cannibals, just because the first one doesn't have a lot to him. You can give him weapons in the suit (which I think has also been used before) but we've already seen that with Green Goblin's glider in multiple films. I think they're going to have to focus on making him an interesting character in his own right.

On the topic of the surprise villain, I actually wouldn't be too shaken up if it was Norman because Norman in the Amazing Spider-Man felt like a missed opportunity. I also feel like it'd be kinda nice if this film kinda of tried to make up for the villain world building in ASM2 not panning out. If I recall, we did see Vulture wings and Octopus arms at the end of ASM2 and I've seen similar things in other series.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Its isnt new,but now its probably official.
And some people insisted she totaly MJ,so just to answer that.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

To be fair SS, there's been a LOT of that sort of thing going around this movie. Most of the official casting lists (even internal ones) have the actor's parts listed under pseudonyms, and we only JUST got official confirmation of Vulture because Kevin Feige mentioned him being the antagonist offhand. And given that most of the information we do have about the movie came from third party sources, the fact that numerous articles sprang up where people working on the film thought she was MJ (which, to be fair, they may have been confused, especially if her character's name is Michelle) AND Zendaya is a fairly well known young actress who seemed a shoe in for a big name Marvel character... yeah, we (me and other people who fell for it) jumped to a conclusion. Heck, I'm still only about 75% sure she isn't supposed to be MJ or some combination of the two characters, even with all the news that's come out.

HarryTrotter

https://youtu.be/xrzXIaTt99U
Here is the trailer.
https://youtu.be/xi8UF0lbJI8
And the international one.
I know a lot of you will hate me for saying this,but Im really not sold on yet another villain in a super-armor.  <_<
And was that Shocker there?
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Well, the trailer looks good.  Unlike like you, Spade, I have to say another armored villain doesn't bother me.  The Vulture is a classic villain, and armor is the logical way to go for him.  I think he's an interesting choice, and one of the few Spider-villains we haven't seen yet.  This kid looks great as Spider-Man, and we've already seen that he's great at the part from his bit in Civil War.  I have to say, though, what gives me pause is the apparent role that Iron Man plays in this movie.  I feel like his presence makes perfect sense considering where we left the character...nonetheless, I feel like it rather takes away from Spider-Man's journey and the strength of his character to have Iron Man as a mentor rather than finding his own way.  I prefer my stories a bit more separate than that, but it is great to see Spider-Man interacting with the MCU.  In the end, this is a minor concern.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Im really not in the mood for another interchangable power-armored villain.In a movie with Tony Stark in it,no less.
He does really steal the spotlight there.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

That's insanity. Not the costume design, since it's rather boring and uninteresting, but those WINGS. They are impressive, and not just because it took two movies to get Falcon with unarticulated garbage wings (There's a reason I have them negligently set to the side in the pics I posted today). Really, if you're gonna do Vulture, they're not pulling their punches.

Speaking of the trailers, saw them yesterday and yeah, I echo Benton a bit concerning just how MUCH Downey is in those scenes, but I also feel like Sony is going out of their way to promote that aspect of the film (since otherwise this is just yet ANOTHER reboot within a couple years of the last one) and while I think it'll be present throughout, I don't think it'll be quite this concentrated.

Shogunn2517

I dunno.  I suppose I can see what some are saying about the over-usage of Stark in the film, but I suppose I don't mind so much.  He's kinda like the glue for the MCU.  I don't see him being that big of a part of the movie either.  Outside of appearances of a "team up", I have my doubts it might be for show to sell the movie.  Iron Man is a draw. 

My drawback is still Vulture.  I'm still not sold on him being the main villain.  Not sold on the portrayal.  He looks good, can't really complain about that.  In MY opinion, he just seems a little limited.  Again, just my opinion, I thought they would and could go in a different direction.

Tomato

I think the fear is less about what we've been shown and more the implication that the movie is all about Tony Stark's relationship with Peter... and again, while I do absolutely agree that I don't want this to be Iron Man 4 featuring Spider-Man, I think the trailers are pushing that angle only because it will sell tickets, not because it's representative of the actual film's content. As far as Vulture goes, I'm of two minds, honestly. On the one hand... yeah, it's the Vulture. In a world of where Spider-man fought giants and super-soldiers alongside an android powered by a cosmic gem, his first villain being a dude that flies is hard to swallow. On the other though... it's Michael Keaton. I still consider his performance as Batman to be THE definitive film performance, even if I'm not as fond of the films themselves. If any actor can make the Vulture seem like a legitimate threat, it'd be Batman.

That, and having read some of the early Vulture stories, there is a lot of potential there.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Tomato on December 11, 2016, 11:42:31 PM
I think the fear is less about what we've been shown and more the implication that the movie is all about Tony Stark's relationship with Peter... and again, while I do absolutely agree that I don't want this to be Iron Man 4 featuring Spider-Man, I think the trailers are pushing that angle only because it will sell tickets, not because it's representative of the actual film's content. As far as Vulture goes, I'm of two minds, honestly. On the one hand... yeah, it's the Vulture. In a world of where Spider-man fought giants and super-soldiers alongside an android powered by a cosmic gem, his first villain being a dude that flies is hard to swallow. On the other though... it's Michael Keaton. I still consider his performance as Batman to be THE definitive film performance, even if I'm not as fond of the films themselves. If any actor can make the Vulture seem like a legitimate threat, it'd be Batman.

That, and having read some of the early Vulture stories, there is a lot of potential there.

I hear you.  I don't have doubts about Keaton's ability, it's just not what I typically think when I think of Vulture.  I'm thinking Adrian Toomes.  Old guy.  Trying to be young.  Not getting that impression from Keaton or the trailer.  Not saying that it will be bad... just not what I would be thinking. 

And yeah, I agree with you about Stark's role.  Honestly, I think the trailer is trying to show more Stark to build hype.  I'm pretty confident his role will be significantly smaller in Spiderman 1 than it was in Captain America 3, which was pretty much a co-billing.  It'll be more than a cameo, but the move won't be ABOUT him as it was about his influence in Civil War.

Tomato

Yes, but it WOULD be more in line with his original comic counterpart... a thief who build a flying suit and took great pleasure in outwitting and outmaneuvering the cops. The whole "Old person stealing youth" thing was purely an invention of the 90s animated cartoon to give him a bit of depth.

daglob

Yeah, you can't trust the trailers. I remember that The Frighteners had (at least) two different ones, one that made it look like a comedy adventure along the lines of Ghostbusters and one that made it look like a horror movie.

Shogunn2517

Well, folk have been pretty quiet, but I got about a good 95% a second viewing(until someone pulled a fire alarm) of Spider-Man: Homecoming and I have to admit of all the Spider-Man movies we've gotten over the last 16 years this is probably my favorite.  Admittedly, the first one, I still think did so much right, but this one was a nice departure yet a very welcome addition to the MCU.

Spoiler
First of all Tom Holland was a good fit.  A little over-talkative, but you could see the idea of a way too excited kid being given super powers and how such a kid would act and he played that well.  Michael Keaton as the Vulture was actually VERY good.  Even though I kept thinking he's Less Adrian Toomes as the Vulture and more Jack Butler from Mr. Mom as the Vulture.  But whole circuit he had with stealing tech working with the Tinkerer and also being associated with Shocker and Scorpion was a good angle.  I can see them going the route of the Sinister Six by the end of the trilogy(think they've said they're thinking about doing a movie for every year Peter's in high school: Spider-Man: Junior Year, Spider-Man: Senior year).  I like how they effectively kept Spider-Man as the "Hero of Queens" and it seems like Hells Kitchen/Manhatten, Bronx or Brooklyn or anywhere else in New York could be a so far out of the realm that it make sense for the Netflix heroes to be apart from MCU heroes.  That said, a couple of things that stood out for me is them effectively ignoring two of the larger motifs of the Spider-Man mythos.  One, although they hinted on Peter's "great power/great responsibility" dilemma, it was never explicitly stated.  That he HAS to leave Liz hanging he HAS to leave Ned, he HAS to be a bad student because he HAS to be a hero.  Also, what seemed a little off to me was the media, local and national media were highly favorable of Spider-Man.  I know it's mostly J. Jonah Jameson who does the bad-mouthing and painting Spider-Man to be a villain, but the typical dynamic is that the people like Spider-Man despite what the media says about him and the idea of a masked man and vigilantism.  The big reveal of Toomes and Liz stunned the audience both times I saw it.  You could feel what Peter was feeling in that sequence and Michael Keaton became fearsome in that car ride to the dance.

The overall easter eggs and connections to the larger universe were also a good touch.  There was of course the aforementioned Tinkerer and Scorpion, which I suppose we can expect to see in sequels.  Also, Kenneth Choi returns to the MCU as Principal Morita(which I'm not sure I would have noticed if I didn't see Captain America on the 4th and vividly remember his "I'm from Queens" line, which coincidentally enough is where the movie takes place) as I would imagine Jim Morita's grandson(his picture was also in the background of his office).  Damage Control made their introduction, even though I think it's a little silly they're a entire Cabinet department.  I like how they touched on the events of several of the prior movies(IM1, IM2, CA2, CA3, A1, A2).  Captain America's PSA's were a hilarious addition.  I actually DID NOT like the "lets make Michelle MJ" throw-in at the end.  It reminded me of the idiotic "Robin" usage in the Dark Knight Rises that had no purpose.  Admittedly, I remember being critical of Zendaya being Mary Jane because of the specific characteristics of Mary Jane in the comics, but at this point, I don't even care.  Zendaya was absolutely unrecognizable(not that I really recognized her anyway), but she was perfect.  I'm almost convinced she was specifically cast to steal every scene she was in because she did.  She was excellent and I would love to see more, whether she's Michelle, "MJ" or Mary Jane Watson.  She nailed it.  Iron Man/Tony Stark wasn't over-used, nor under-used.  He was appropriately used, as he should have been.  i didn't want to see a Spider-Man/Iron Man duo.  They pretty much left Peter to his own devices and while I understood Tony taking the suit, but for it only being just for the last scene.

Overall, I enjoyed it.  It was funny.  It was thrilling.  It was emotional.  It did everything I could want from a movie.  If you haven't seen it, definitely see it.  If you have already seen it, it'd be worth seeing again just to catch some of the easter eggs and just to enjoy again.  I know I probably will.

Shogunn2517

Oh.  As I waited for the PC, it was great to see Dwayne McDuffie get a credit.  RIP, bro.

Ouflah

I'm still processing my thoughts of it, but overall I liked it.
Spoiler
Is it just me or at some point did Spider-Man seamlessly transform into Inspector Gadget? :P

Also, taking off your logo and sending it flying into the air? Superman did it first, Pete.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

SickAlice

Got in last night. I enjoyed it in fact as much as the first Raimi film. I believe it was intended to be a movie about Miles in it's original draft as most of Peter's relationships play out as Miles would. His BFF for example is clearly Ganke. But it worked nonetheless. As most of the movie critics credit him, Tom really makes the movie. It was wise to have Spider-man literally be a kid for one but the formers never seemed to pull it off, rather just hitting as Peter being a young adult. Tom also grasps both the Peter and Spider-man character and fits the traditional spirit of the character like a glove.

Though that great costume doesn't hurt either, especially the eyelets. The young vs. old theme running with the conversation in play here really does work imo and was reminiscent of Dick (youthful heart vs old world cynicism) though this more me looking outside my nostalgic self and to this being established as the Spider-man of this eras young generation, something which needed to be done more so than appealing to aging viewers. Can't wait to see kids running about in costumes this Halloween.

Keaton worked for me but always does. He has a heavy caliber and the skills to if all else bring the presence to the screen whereas even in the face of utmost ridicule and/or ridiculous character concept (Beetlejuice, Multiplicity, Birdman) can at least make his acting enjoyable and memorable.

Not the greatest movie ever mind you and some inconsistencies. Some of the extended focus for example and his otherwise nameless classmates and school faculty could have been cut down in favor of more Tom, Keaton and more importantly I think screentime for Tomei. Aunt May is supposed to be a much more emphasized part of Peter's life as is his station as a mommas-boy. Whereas in this story his Principal, Teachers and Happy Hogan are more influential and more important to him? Noting after a direct threat to her he never even checked in May.

So I'd give it an 8 overall. I think it's one of those with a lot of establishing happening and could be one where the sequel is the superior to the first.

Added points here went to:
Spoiler
the fact not not only doesn't the villain die tragically at the end but Peter saves him, while he's trying to kill Peter even. It bothered me about previous films that the villain almost "had" to die by the end. That isn't Spider-man. Spider-man brings the villain to justice and more tries even at his own risk to save the villain as he's the kind of guy that get's that most people aren't evil, just misled and lost in their way.

Silver Shocker

To reply to one of your points:

Spoiler
Yeah, I was actually very happy with how things ended with Vulture as well. Spidey saving him, and him going to prison, was refreshing since both Batman and Spider-Man movies tended to just kill off the villain at the end. I liked that they went that route even if Toomes never appears again. He was a robber, he went to jail. It feels appropriate. It was also nice that they kinda tried to cover their tracks with the post credit scene by having Keaton imply he's not going to tell anyone Spidey's secret identity in prison.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

Agree with both of you.

By the way another non spoiler easter egg some might have missed:

John Slattery's Howard Stark was on the mural with other great historic scientist at the school.  Nice little touch.

detourne_me

Another cool Easter egg was a Korean church of Asgard. It seems like Asgardian religious followers have been springing up in the MCU, I think this was first mentioned in AOS.

HarryTrotter

Posting here is like playing with matches in a dynamite factory,but what the hell...
I didnt hate the movie,but Im not that crazy about it like everyone else.Its okay,and thats it.
-Nacho as Mac Gargan.Thats cool.
-Keaton does a solid job,but then again,he makes selling burgers look good.
-A LOT of this movie goes on Riverdale style teen drama,that I dont care much for.
-Flash,academic team substitute/bully/DJ.Oh yeah,that totaly works. :doh:
-Despite everything I still expected some nod to Kingpins downfall,but it never happens.But hey,if you guys dont give a cr@p about yout tv shows,I dont either.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XW1Ygatsz4

Far From Home first trailer. It's... decent. I think we're supposed to think those are classic SM villains Hydro Man, Molten Man, and Sandman, but I suspect they're just something made by Mysterio (that or they're working with him). Also, really Fury, dude specifically left the suit behind because he didn't want to be part of nonsense (also to sell new action figures but wevs).

UnkoMan

I tried to avoid the trailer, but then couldn't help it, and watched glimpses with no sound.
I dig the Spidey costume, and heck yes to armpit web gliding.

So, the story is...
Spoiler
Mysterio makes some elemental people so he can show up and pretend to be a superhero, and Spiderman has to expose him?
Seems like a pretty simple plot. Then again, you could say the last one was, "Vulture and gang are selling illegal alien weapons and Spiderman has to stop him."
And it was pretty great! I guess I just hope they don't make it some kind of big twist reveal when we completely know what is going to happen.

Like when I played the Spiderman PS4 and
Spoiler
Doc Ock is your boss so I'm thinking, "Oh, I guess he ends up being the final boss after he goes evil." Just spent first two acts waiting for that to happen.

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I was totally thinking of Hydro Man and Sandman, I forgot about Molten Man. I think it's just Mysterio doing illusions. It is his whole gimmick after all, and it looks like they're going for something similar to the original comic book first appearance.

I do like that the villain plots for these new Spider-Man plots are more scaled down and the real meat is the high school angst and the comedy. It helps give this Spidey/MCU film its own separate identity.

I'm very happy with Mysterio being the villain in this. At first I thought the costume looked a little silly and Gyllenhal doesn't look even a little like Quentin Beck, but then I saw him flying around wearing the fishbowl helmet and shooting green mist out of his hands and the nostalgic part of my brain took over. I think it's great we're finally getting Mysterio on the big screen. He's all about visual spectacle and the modern movie industry, Marvel Studios in particular, do visual spectacle very well.

Hearing Flash praise Spidey makes me happy. Mind you, it made me happy when an earlier version of Flash did that 4 movies ago and that went nowhere, but this time it might amount to more than a one-off nod to the comics. The punchline was pretty funny though.

QuoteAlso, really Fury, dude specifically left the suit behind because he didn't want to be part of nonsense.

I'm not that bothered by that personally. Nick Fury has had some shady moments in the past. The Ultimates version where the Samuel L likeness originated was pretty much a war criminal, and this version, if nothing else, exploited Coulson's death to spur the Avengers into action. And it's not like Tony and Happy were particularly nice to Peter in Homecoming. I sometimes do think to myself, that Holland's Peter probably annoys the heck out of them but I still found the way they talked to him and brushed him off kinda abrasive.
~Rocky Balboa