Logan (Wolverine 3)

Started by Talavar, October 20, 2016, 02:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talavar

Also out today, something I did not realize was as far along as this, is the first trailer for Logan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbug3zTm3Ws

To be honest, it looks good.  The first Wolverine was terrible, the second I liked but it definitely had issues, so maybe this one improves further.  A little on the bleak side though.

BentonGrey

Wow...just...wow...that is one heck of a trailer.  It looks good.  Not just the muddled, more-good-than-bad, of the X-Man films, but flat-out good.  I am 100% interested.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Podmark

It looks like The Last of Us meets Wolverine - and that is awesome!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

I have a theory

Spoiler
I think the Professor X we see is actually dead, and that what Logan sees is either a memory, or it's a psychic imprint on Logan's mind made before Xavier's death. This future is far enough along that Wolverine appears older than he did even in DoFP, and far enough that he's both considerably aging and his healing factor is failing. We don't see him physically interacting with anyone else except during the scenes where what appears to be Xavier is about to be shot, which may be flashbacks to his death.

Talavar

Quote from: Tomato on October 21, 2016, 12:46:28 PM
I have a theory

Spoiler
I think the Professor X we see is actually dead, and that what Logan sees is either a memory, or it's a psychic imprint on Logan's mind made before Xavier's death. This future is far enough along that Wolverine appears older than he did even in DoFP, and far enough that he's both considerably aging and his healing factor is failing. We don't see him physically interacting with anyone else except during the scenes where what appears to be Xavier is about to be shot, which may be flashbacks to his death.

Interesting theory!  Could well turn out to be true given the advanced age.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Podmark on October 21, 2016, 01:21:35 AM
It looks like The Last of Us meets Wolverine - and that is awesome!
More like Sweet Tooth.Or Lone Wolverine and Cub.Or Grendel: Warchild.I could go on,but you get the picture.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I made a Lone Wolf and Cub reference myself when discussing it with some friends. It's definitely a old premise but it think it's a great idea in this context. One of my friends who hadn't played The Last of Us was reminded of Telltale's Walking Dead, which again, had a similar premise.

Pretty cool trailer. I'm not sure how many people here saw it but the U.S. version of the trailer apparently lacked a really sweet shot of Logan stabbing a guy through the head that was in the version I saw.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, that scene is missing from the main US trailer too.  It is only in the red band trailer.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

Hardcase and a kid in the post apocalypse is a pretty old trope by now.Maybe Fist of The North Star would also be a close  comparison.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Heck Mad Max II did it, after a fashion.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Also,Cable and Hope.But I guess hes busy in Deadpool 2.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 03, 2016, 09:01:01 AM
Actually, that scene is missing from the main US trailer too.  It is only in the red band trailer.

So that was actually a typo from me. I meant to say the U.S. version was missing it, not the non- U.S. version.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Lets play "Whos hand is that?"
Reavers?
Jon Farmer

daglob

Dr. Doom

(Nah, I don't think so either. It looks like it would make a good Doom hand.)

HarryTrotter

That would be possible.And Doom had a cameo in Old Man Logan.

But seeing Donald Pierce is in the movie,its probably his hand.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Clearly it's Iron Man. And you peons thought Robert was only cameoing in Spider-Man.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Tomato on November 17, 2016, 05:49:33 PM
Clearly it's Iron Man. And you peons thought Robert was only cameoing in Spider-Man.

If they can cut a deal for Ego,anything is possible.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Yeah, on second look, it appears more like a cybernetic hand than an armored one.

Podmark

It's probably Pierce or another Reaver, but it makes me think of Sinister.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

spydermann93

BWPS

It shows the guy with the robot hand in the trailer. The character is named Donald Pierce according to imdb. I haven't read the comic.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

spydermann93

Looks like we're seeing the beginnings of a Hellfire Club, ladies and mutants!

HarryTrotter

^Didnt we see them already?Or that isnt canon any longer?
Jon Farmer

Tomato

We did, but most people discount that because the members of the team were so lackluster.

HarryTrotter

Hes working for Sinister,so I wouldnt count on the whole club.
Gotta save some villains for future movies.Like,Cameron Hodge,Bastion,Omega Red,Stryfe...future movies will be interesting.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

detourne_me

I just came from the theater.  This movie was done right!
Easily in top 3, if not the best X-Men movie.
It really deserves its hard R rating, too. After John Wick 2 and Logan, 2017 is shaping up to be a great year for movies.

Spoiler
The Reavers are a great choice for villains in this future story. Hecl theres even a surprise appearance from 90s wolverine villain 
Spoiler
Albert!
although hes not really called that by name

BentonGrey

Here are my thoughts, folks.

Lady Grey and I just got back from seeing this.  Hours later, I'm still not entirely certain exactly how I feel about it. It's certainly a good movie, and an excellent story about both Wolverine and to a lesser extent Professor X. Yet, I think that it isn't quite as amazing as folks are saying.

It has a few flaws, mostly minor, and while it has some really wonderful moments, it doesn't quite seem to attain the profundity it's straining for. It is an extremely well made film; there's no doubt about that, and everyone involved turns in an incredible performance, especially Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman.

The 'ten minutes into the future' setting is striking, and at times it feels uncomfortably close, but it doesn't really get enough development to have the chilling dystopian effect of Soylent Green, Blade Runner, or Brazil.

The story they're telling is really a fascinating one, and it involves ideas (specifically with the Prof.) that, to my knowledge, are new to the genre, which is a rarity. The same is true of the device that created the film's status quo with mutants. The movie also has some fairly impressive symbolism in the central conflicts of the second and third acts.
Spoiler
The generational tale is really well captured: grandfather, father, daughter, combined with the son killing the father.  You've also got the younger self fighting the older self, literally Wolverine fighting his greatest opponent, the great conflict of his life: his better nature versus his own inner demons.  It's a fight that he can't win, a chain of violence that can only be broken by the next generation.  That's pretty good.

Ultimately, I think the film troubles me, and that is a rare thing for a superhero movie. Yet, the elements of the movie that trouble me are probably why I can't quite make up my mind about it, and the difficulty hinges on the fact that the future this story explores is a very bleak one. That's fine, and I enjoy dystopian fiction. But it's a bleakness that feels inescapable, inevitable, and most importantly, it's a future that these characters don't deserve.

That's part of the point, and I realize that. Yet, I think I'd have been more comfortable with the final product if the creators had offered the audience an 'out,' the possibility that, to paraphrase Scrooge, this future might not come to pass. Of course, that's not realistic, but realism is just a recent fad in the history of literature (a mere few hundred years old compared to the untold thousands of fantasy), and superheroes are not terribly troubled by realism at any rate.
God Bless

detourne_me

Interesting thought BG. Thanks for sharing.

I really feel like this is close to a future that we are actually heading in. Heck, there are already refugees fleeing north to Canada through North Dakota!
The autonomous driving trucks and monolithic farming equipment (quite probably owned by a mega corporation) seem to be coming sooner rather than later. These themes seem to ripped straight from a Gibson, Stephenson, or Sterling novel. That's why I love how much of the film borrows from the 90s Wolverine comics, when he was at his most cyberpunk.
Really Wolverine is as much a product of the military-industrial complex as he is a mutant. We know that mutants have always been the stand-in for diversity and minorities. The movies have covered that ground quite well. It was interesting to see how this movie takes a different approach.
Hmm. Hope im not getting too political here.
Surprisingly enough, in the Old Man Logan comic, the supervillains had taken over, i guess in this world its the military and corporations. Wasnt there another movie based on a Millar comic where they had to change it from supervillaibs taking over into something more realistic, too? ;)