News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Unbelievable!

Started by thalaw2, November 09, 2016, 05:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

I like hearing about MacGuyver, just saying. It was cliche in the 80's but nostalgic now.

Reepicheep

Shall we reach a compromise?

Clearly our feelings about toblerones are too heated to keep internalized forever. Maybe we could set up a chat server, such as discord or otherwise, in which we can vent about all current chocolaty affairs without compromising the integrity and purpose of these forums? People would participate in the knowledge that it may be a political free-for-all, kept as civil as possible, but with the understanding and agreement that feelings from such venting does not under any circumstance cross over into the forum.

Else I fear this thread may skirt back and forth in dangerous territories.

If nothing else, at least maybe we could talk about Bioshock or Call of Duty or whatever the hell game these forums are actually for. I forget.

BentonGrey

I think that is a good idea, Reep.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Reepicheep on February 10, 2017, 08:49:17 PM
Shall we reach a compromise?

Clearly our feelings about toblerones are too heated to keep internalized forever. Maybe we could set up a chat server, such as discord or otherwise, in which we can vent about all current chocolaty affairs without compromising the integrity and purpose of these forums? People would participate in the knowledge that it may be a political free-for-all, kept as civil as possible, but with the understanding and agreement that feelings from such venting does not under any circumstance cross over into the forum.

Else I fear this thread may skirt back and forth in dangerous territories.

If nothing else, at least maybe we could talk about Bioshock or Call of Duty or whatever the hell game these forums are actually for. I forget.

What about talking about MacGuyver?!?!? I mean, the toblerones...eh..but MacGuyver!!!  :P
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Ouflah

Quote from: Reepicheep on February 10, 2017, 08:49:17 PMMaybe we could set up a chat server, such as discord or otherwise, in which we can vent about all current chocolaty affairs without compromising the integrity and purpose of these forums?
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

Silver Shocker

To quote Peter Venkmen from Ghostbusters "I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it, let's do it!"
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

stumpy

Quote from: SickAlice on February 10, 2017, 12:16:16 AMI like hearing about MacGuyver, just saying. It was cliche in the 80's but nostalgic now.
It's an odd phenomenon. I thought MacGyver was cool when I was a kid. I am not sure I actually saw it more than a few times, but the concept was great fun. My gf had the same recollection.

Now, we watch some other nostalgia-y shows on Netflix (Murder, She Wrote, The Rockford Files, etc.). Even when the shows were before our time, we generally enjoy them, both because of the appreciation of the throwback to another era and because the quality was pretty good and the shows are still pretty entertaining in their own right, even with some of the things that are silly by today's standards. Kind of like Freedom Force, really. To be honest, some of the fun is just marveling at how different things are. (E.g. "Wow! This plot would totally fall apart if anyone had a mobile phone" or "Oh, I get it. They are all acting weird because the doctor is a woman", etc.)

So, when MacGyver showed up on Netflix, we thought to give it a shot. Strangely, it didn't hold up that well. Of course, some of that is that we were watching the first season and even some great shows began with shaky starts and didn't find the right balance until later. But, it wasn't able to hold our attention. Sadly, relative to our free time, there are too many shows to really try each of them for more than a few episodes, unless we know from the start that they get dramatically better. It's an embarrassment of riches when we have to restrain ourselves because some (often hugely popular) show can't compete with the dozen other shows we are interested in watching.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

daglob

MacGyver is running on ME-TV currently. Some are okay, some are... not.

You want future shock, watch an episode of Perry Mason and think how fast Gil Grissom (CSI) would poke holes in Hamilton Burger's cases. And people keep calling Perry on other people's phones...  and Tragg keeps arresting people without giving them their rights...

HarryTrotter

I see nobody here watched Life on Mars.:|
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Reepicheep

Freedom For Toblerones Discord Channel! (clicky)

You can use discord in most browsers or download it as an application.

I won't use the Freedom Reborn logo or name or anything without the express permission of, I dunno, Hellscorp? DYAM? Someone? Either way, since the whole point is that it is a departure from the rules of the community, it's probably best it doesn't affiliate with the community.

That said, please use it maturely and reasonably.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Reepicheep on February 11, 2017, 11:14:29 AM
Freedom For Toblerones Discord Channel! (clicky)

You can use discord in most browsers or download it as an application.

I won't use the Freedom Reborn logo or name or anything without the express permission of, I dunno, Hellscorp? DYAM? Someone? Either way, since the whole point is that it is a departure from the rules of the community, it's probably best it doesn't affiliate with the community.

That said, please use it maturely and reasonably.

Thanks, really. Much as I love FR, it'd be nice to just talk openly about this crap with you all for once. Already joined up. :)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Truly,every American president has to have his own war.So Colt,Locheed Martin,Shell and Boeing get to make more money.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Ehhhhhhhhh....

Well I know what the late night comedians are going to talk about next. Yay.

Can someone just put me in a cryo pod Phillip J. Fry style and wake me up in 4 years, and maybe another 4 after that? kthxlvubye.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Good thing I stashed all those bottlecaps over the years. :)
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Quote from: Silver Shocker on April 07, 2017, 09:44:47 AM
Well I know what the late night comedians are going to talk about next. Yay.

Not even being sarcastic here, I'm friends with that political cartoonist from the NYT named Taylor Jones and he said if Trump won every satirist and late night comedian would be celebrating because they would have easy material and work guaranteed for the next four years. And Trump is such a clown. *h0nk!*

HarryTrotter

Yes,people died.Hilarious.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quoteevery satirist and late night comedian would be celebrating

I know at least a few late night comedians said it wasn't worth it. They still bring the funny though.

Anyway, I think we should tone it down before this thread gets locked.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I just kinda baffled by the whole development.And not for the first time.Bombing people doesnt help them.You could let them in your country or something.
But the fact Tories support the whole thing was very much expected.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Wait.someone bombed folks with Toblerones!?!?!?  OH THE HUMANITY!!!  Why weren't those toblerones shared with all!?!?!  The chocolaty goodness wasted in such a violent way!!!  THE HUMANITY!!!  (taking us back out of the worry zone)

HarryTrotter

Okay,what are you smoking?And can you send me some? :)
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Spade on April 07, 2017, 05:40:05 PM
Okay,what are you smoking?And can you send me some? :)

Toblerones?!?!?

Silver Shocker

That reminds me of a gag from Homestar Runner, specifically the G.I. Joe parody "Cheat Commandos"

"Hey kid! Wanna smoke some candy with me?"  :lol:
~Rocky Balboa

Deaths Jester

What?!? You've never smoked candy with GI Joe?!? Oh you are so missing out! Joe's got the BEST smoking candy...even full-sized Toblerones!

kkhohoho

God, it's been a while since anyone's used this thread, hasn't it? Anyway, hi everybody! If you haven't checked the FR Discord in a while, now might be a good time to do so, because... well, you'll see when you get there. Basically, I've got something to say, and I felt that was the best place to say it. Hope to see you all there! :)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

I like to think people got over it,but Thats definitly not the case.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Oh no, not more bad toblerone news?!? AHHH!!!

...Also, sorry about the smell...frrt...I...frrt...had....frrt...Taco...frrt splat...uh-oh...

HarryTrotter

Mark Waid succesefully bullied a publisher into dropping a book because he doesnt like the guy writing it.I knew he was a petty,bullying wanker before,but this is a new low.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Oh, that guy, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Yeah, ok, that's kinda crappy, but let's put it this way. As soon as I saw your post, I figured there was more to the story, and it turns out there is. Several retailers threatened to boycott the book, which in comics is serious business, and the publisher claims Waid neither bullied nor threatened them. They were apparently already considering dropping the book independent of Waid. They might have done so even if Waid had no involvement. Now, you could say that's a he-said-she-said and the article I read was from CBR but the situation was pretty much exactly what I assumed it was before I read the article.  [EDIT] a bit more to add. The person in question posted in the comments to mention that the guy who posted the Facebook post on behalf of the Publisher was speaking "out of turn" and isn't in charge.

This quote stood out:'

"We do not take this decision lightly as we do believe that there should be separation between "ART" and the "ARTIST" and that separation has been blurred in our decision."

That makes it sound like the comic itself has content that is hateful. If that does, I think that might be fair for them to make the decision they did. I might not agree with it (after all, Holy Terror got published) but it's not my place to decide, the publisher is capable of that decision themselves and that's their prerogative. Now compare to Orson Scott Card. Many people say they won't touch his work (I won't) because of his political views but everything I've heard says nothing like that is in Ender's Game or whatever else he wrote. I read his Ultimate Iron Man years ago (it sucked) and I don't remember it having anything like that. Apparently this situation is different.

And, and I wasn't surprised about it, "doesn't like the guy writing it." isn't really the issue. The issue is that some people, Waid included, consider the person in question to be guilty of harassment. Now I personally don't agree with that, I'm a little familiar with his output and from what I've seen I don't find his output unreasonable, other than some language and phrasing harsher than I would personally use. I can't imagine the guy has said anything worse than some of the harsher critics of post-OMD Spidey over on Crawlspace ect and I stand by those guys through thick and thin.

I think this is a sterling example of what happens when those fans Marvel has, themselves, bullied for years (such as the Spider-Man fans Slott and Wacker bullied, doxxed, and tried to get arrested and/or institutionalized) try to get into the industry themselves. The guys in charge have created a barrier. That being said, it's ultimately the publishers call to make. We can't make people say or do things we don't want them to do, and if they really wanted to publish the book, they could have ignored Waid's message.

Now this situation has been building pressure over time and this might be the brick wall. I'm curious to tell if there will be/is a big backlash to this. Mind you, I've followed modern Marvel and DC and the video game industry for years so I know that the corporations, and in Marvel and DC's cases, the writers, couldn't give a rats patootie what the fans think as long as the product keeps selling and won't make a change (Rebirth, ect) unless they think they can weaponize it for sales (I personally found it objectionable when Didio vetoed Stephanie Brown for years only for DC to later trumpet her "return" in Batman Eternal as a selling point only to reset her continuity and character completely to zero.)

All that being said, it's also a book drawn by Jon Malin. Is that really that big a loss? On the other hand, congratulations to that guy for landing the artist of Thunderbolts and Cable.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Point isnt if its good or bad,point is that it should be published because this is supposed to be a free market.
In his own words Waid called Antartic Press and explained who they are getting in buisness with.That sounds a bit like a shakedown,lets face it.
Didnt Malin get fired after saying the industry was infiltrated by SJWs?Not that he was wrong,there.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Anyone else notice that the Freedom For Toblerones/Freedom Reborn Chat Shack III Discord Channel is gone?!?! OR is it just me not having connection with it anymore??