Better Call Saul

Started by HarryTrotter, March 08, 2016, 04:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Well season 2 is 4 episodes in.And its an improvement over season 1 in every way.Anybody watching?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Fraid not. I don't get AMC, and I'm probably not going to see the episodes elsewhere for a while as I'm currently working my way through other shows (right now I'm binge watching X-Files on Netflix, and I still gotta get caught up on S6 of The Walking Dead)

Glad to hear S2 is an improvement. I will say I managed to get the S1 Blu-Ray on sale from Amazon on Boxing Day for a really good price so I've seen all of S1 now. I quite enjoyed it (the Mike spotlight episode was especially good) , but I was always a fan of the Saul/Jimmy character going back to Breaking Bad (as you can see, I've still got my Saul portrait). I have trouble remembering where the season left off through, so hopefully I won't be too lost when I see the rest.

I know S1 is now on Netflix, so anyone who has NF and wants to get into the show can watch it that way.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Season finale was a bit underwhelming.Mostly a setup for season 3.Which promises to be pretty interesting.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I got S2 on sale this year, and I watched the first 5 episodes tonight. Good stuff. I'm glad to see that Mike has more to do this year. Daniel is one of the stupidest drug dealers ever (then again, Jesse had moments of staggering stupidity as well, especially early on in Breaking Bad.

The thing I noticed right away with the episode is how well the show can keep my attention, even when nothing super exciting is happening. Not every show can keep two people talking or one person doing something in a single room from getting boring (The Walking Dead has been especially tedious in the past) but the creators of Breaking Bad clearly know what they're doing. Even relatively mundane sequences are shot with a creative visual eye.

I imagine I'll finish the season tomorrow night.

[edit] I've now finished S2. I enjoyed it. One of the things that kinda bothers me but isn't really a negative is that the show has a tendency to end its season very abrupt, making it really jarring when I pick up the show much later with a new season, and have to struggle to remember where it left off. The other big thing to take from this season is how unlikable Chuck is. I found him fairly sympathetic in S1 and I always liked the actor, but here he's really a jerk. And that's before the bit right at the end. The funny thing is, I've read that like Skyler in Breaking Bad, the creators didn't intend the viewers to turn against him. Or at least that's what they said about S1. I'm not sure what their response would be at this point.

While I like that Mike has a lot more to do this season, the thing that kinda disappointed me is how disconnected it is to everything involving Jimmy. After the first episode or two of this season there's pretty much no back and forth between them and it really makes it feel there's two different shows going on simultaneously. Mind you, my favorite episode from S1 was the Mike spotlight episode and while I haven't re-watched it I remember that having jack all to do with Jimmy's plots.

Going forward with the show:

Spoiler
The creators have said that Gus Fring will in fact be in season 3. While I'm sure that note at the end of S2 was supposed to be setting him up I gotta admit I didn't really follow how that whole situation was supposed to work. Who exactly left that note, and when, and what were they planning to do if Mike didn't happen to find it, or Hector and his guys found it first? I"m genuinely curious how they're going to pick up from that in the new season.

Speaking of which, here's a new promo video for S3, specifically designed to let you know Gus will be in it. The comments section is glorious, consisted almost entirely of puns about his role in Breaking Bad.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Season 3 started a bit slow.A lot of setup is happening.
Jon Farmer