Ghost In The Shell

Started by thalaw2, November 13, 2016, 11:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thalaw2

It's actually going to be a live action movie expected to debut in March of next year!

I don't know how many Anime fans are out there in the FRverse, but for those of us out there(waaaaayyyy out there) this looks like the next step after superhero movies.  If GIS is popular then I see a lot of potential for big production Anime movies and the B level crap of past transitions.
革命不会被电视转播

detourne_me

Yeah it looks pretty good. Ive had Depeche Mode in my head all day.

kkhohoho

I haven't gotten around to seeing the trailer yet. Or finishing up up GiTS. I'm gonna have to work on both counts. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Quote from: thalaw2 on November 13, 2016, 11:43:44 PM
It's actually going to be a live action movie expected to debut in March of next year!

I don't know how many Anime fans are out there in the FRverse, but for those of us out there(waaaaayyyy out there) this looks like the next step after superhero movies.  If GIS is popular then I see a lot of potential for big production Anime movies and the B level crap of past transitions.

:doh:
Yeah,because live action adaptations of anime worked out sooo well thus far.Especially when Americans produce them.
Personally,I really dont care for it.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Most adaptations of Anime have failed so spectacularly because there is a fundamental disconnect between the culture that spawned the creation and the American studios that create the film. Dragonball Evolution is a perfect example of this... Dragonball was originally a parody of the Chinese legend of Sun Wukong and the Journey to the West, and that background colors every aspect of the characters, especially in the first couple arcs. But while pretty much everyone in Japan has a passing familiarity with the stories, I sincerely doubt anyone working on the film had any knowledge of the stories the original manga was based on. As such, they turned it into a superhero film... right down to Goku Parker as the lead character.

Personally, I have not seen Ghost in the Shell, and so I don't feel comfortable commenting on it in the same way I would something like Yu Yu Hakusho or Dragonball Z. But this does seem to have a little more reverence towards the source material, even if the choice of casting is disappointing. But even in that case, I do sympathize more with the casting of Johansson than I did with Justin's Goku, because she was cast based on other roles that made her more suitable to playing this character.

HarryTrotter

It was more a case of betting on star power to carry the movie,then being suited for character or not.But whatever...its easier if we don't go there.
If only Dragon Ball Evolution was the only example...
I know GitS inspired Matrix,but the trailer was pretty much what you get if you mixed Blade Runner and Matrix. <_<
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Spade on November 14, 2016, 06:59:27 PM
It was more a case of betting on star power to carry the movie,then being suited for character or not.But whatever...its easier if we don't go there.
I know GitS inspired Matrix,but the trailer was pretty much what you get if you mixed Blade Runner and Matrix. <_<

Actually in the orginal manga the Major apparently was stated to prefer caucasion bodies and other characters comment on how strange she is for prefering to look like a foreigner.  Japanese fans were asked about the casting and actually said that the prefered the role to be played by a white woman because it was more true to the original story.

So basically only Americans consider it whitewashing.  Japanese consider it more faithful to the story.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

thalaw2

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 14, 2016, 08:59:42 PM
Quote from: Spade on November 14, 2016, 06:59:27 PM

Actually in the orginal manga the Major apparently was stated to prefer caucasion bodies and other characters comment on how strange she is for prefering to look like a foreigner.  Japanese fans were asked about the casting and actually said that the prefered the role to be played by a white woman because it was more true to the original story.

Initially, I was going to complain about SJ being in the lead, but after careful thought I remembered it doesn't matter.  The big uproar about this movie was that some actors were computer enhanced to look more Asian...but apparently that's not true.  Besides, SJ has the blessings of the creators. 

I can't believe that no one posting here has seen the movie...am I that much of dinosaur?  DBZ has nothing on GitS.  You guys really need to watch it.  I'm hoping that his adaptation is popular and that money will be put into other projects I want to see like Ninja Scroll (only the first one).

QuoteSo basically only Americans consider it whitewashing.  Japanese consider it more faithful to the story.

Actually, actors from other parts of Asia were upset too. 
革命不会被电视转播

Silver Shocker

I've seen Ghost in the Shell. Specifically, the original two movies, the entirety of the original anime Stand Alone Complex, and the first two episodes of the newer series Arise.

I was initially skeptical of this production, but while I haven't actually watched the trailer yet I've seen various articles about it and thumbnails and it's admirable how much they're trying to replicate the original. I've heard a few people (including in this thread, of course) say that in the lore the Major is said to have the look of a foreigner, so I suppose SJ is more appropriate for the role than a lot of people made it seem. That being said, I don't have the most confidence in her as a actress, based on the films I've seen her in, but it might turn out all right. I can definitely say so far it looks a lot better than Dragon Ball Evolution.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

spydermann93

Quote from: Silver Shocker on November 15, 2016, 02:23:53 AMI can definitely say so far it looks a lot better than Dragon Ball Evolution.

To be fair, that's not much of a bar to set :P

HarryTrotter

Now Im just motivated to rewatch the series.For the record,I did watch the original movies and Arise,but I didnt read the manga.
Again,DBE isnt the only example.Who could forget Guyver and G-Saviour?Granted,that last was Canadian,but still...
So no,I dont believe Hollywood will switch from superheroes to anime adaptations any time soon.And thats probably a good thing.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

We don't talk about G-Savior. It never happened.  :P

On the other hand, I really liked Edge of Tomorrow, and the film helped get me interested in the manga version (which itself is adaptation of a light novel)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on November 15, 2016, 06:56:19 AM
We don't talk about G-Savior. It never happened:P

On the other hand, I really liked Edge of Tomorrow, and the film helped get me interested in the manga version (which itself is adaptation of a light novel)

There,you wont hear any arguments from me.Or Sunrise for that matter.  ;)

There was also that rumored Akira adaptation.With Keanu Reeves,set in Los Angeles.Good thing that never went anywhere.And recently Legendary got the rights to a live action Pokemon movie.But I guess the brief hype fueled by Pokemon Go died out,so that probably wont happen.I hope.
They never learn...
Jon Farmer

detourne_me

Batou looks pretty good in the trailer, too. They even got his glasses right.

detourne_me

Just got out of the theater. Really impressed by the movie. It hit almost all the cool points of the original movie, and yeah Batou was perfect.
I understand how they had to change the story to make it more accessible, but it was pretty entertaining anyway.

Starman

It sucked.

Stiff acting, poor script, painfully inert dialogue with tons of exposition. The reveal that Scarlett Johansson was a white cyborg with the soul, parents and (inexplicably) hair of a Japanese teenager was laughable.

The music was also a huge step down.

However, visually it was great (I saw it in 3D).

detourne_me

you might want to spoiler that.  :thumbdown:

kkhohoho

Quote from: Starman on March 30, 2017, 07:01:09 AM
Stiff acting, poor script, painfully inert dialogue with tons of exposition.

That's what I thought about the first movie. ;)

Starman

Really? I thought the first film had fantastic animation and, from memory, the script never talked down to its audience (like explaining that a "ghost" was a soul three or four times, unlike the 2017 version).

kkhohoho

Quote from: Starman on April 17, 2017, 10:49:03 AM
Really? I thought the first film had fantastic animation and, from memory, the script never talked down to its audience (like explaining that a "ghost" was a soul three or four times, unlike the 2017 version).

It also had bland, lifeless characters who only seemed to talk in faux-philosophic nonsense, which is also where most of the so-called philosophy came from, and it also just sort of ended instead of having a real third act. Whereas the original manga was nothing like that. If you want to see what GITS was meant to be, then you should really go watch the TV show, because that does a much better job of staying truer to the spirit of the source material than any of the films did.

I'll give the film this much; the animation's spectacular, and the soundtrack's nothing to sneeze at. But all of that's rendered mute if the script is a pile of cow dung, and that was definitely the case for the first GITS film.