News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

so steam was a dick

Started by crosspotts1.0, December 10, 2016, 01:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crosspotts1.0

so steam was a dick and deleted all my  :ffvstr: datta from skins mesheshs and every thing i had downloads fn  :banghead: super ticked that i had 40 plus skins and six custom meshes and 4 fxs i was working on and had finished half i had nebula jigsaw and a whole bunch of cannfodder  just to name a few

done for Christmas so steam just be came the grinch and stole all of ur Christmas presents and my drive  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

hoping i can get a few created but with work and my son i have know idea if ill be able to release any thing god damn u steam  :doh: next time just update and let me play my game  :thumbdown:

so now i need to get nifskope and all the other thing

lucky it saved my hero files  :thumbup:

but realy what good is hero files with out the heros that go with  them

thank u alex for having alot on ur site so tommrow ill be downloding from there  :D

BentonGrey

How did that happen?  Even if you uninstall the game, Steam shouldn't delete the custom content?  That stinks man.  I'm sorry.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

I know they used to have "unerase" programs that would recover lost files if they hadn't been overwritten yet (Macafee had one, I think). The lack of them in the past few years makes me think that recent Windows versions might not be compatible.

crosspotts1.0

yeah the game wouldent load at all and i had to re download steam i thought it wouldent efect my custom char eaither and when i un installed the log came up with what it was delatin and yeah it was custom char folder i tried to copy them to a different folder and id be safe but all i got wer file names i checked and  noting inside

i was beyond emotion sad angry ticked super ticked frustrated

i dont know where to start  on and kinda flipy right now i have to go to alexs site to download some stuff but cant find a link for nif scope

spydermann93

Man, that really sucks, Crosspotts! This is the first time I've ever heard of anything like that happening, and I hope it's the last!

All I can say is keep your stuff backed-up, especially custom content.  Every week, I zip up my characters folder and place that zip on an external hard drive.  That way, in the case of me losing some data, I have backups.

daglob

I generally burn stuff to a DVD every once in awhile (whenever I have a DVD's worth; I should do it more often). If something goes wrong, I at least have original copies of the stuff I download, and most of the stuff I've made.

But I realize that you are just starting. In a way, it should be easier to restore everything. No less frustrating, or less maddening, however.

crosspotts1.0

yeah i just cant belive 2 months of work is gone :banghead:

Cyber Burn

When I get back to my Computer, I can help get you NifSkope, and I'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff as well.

crosspotts1.0

thank u for all ur help cyber burn i just feel like a burden now to every one and a little depressed

daglob

Don't feel that way. It could happen to anyone.

crosspotts1.0

well good news i just redid my cannon fodder char so i think im getting back quicker than i thought so im a little bit more happy   :thumbup: but i cant release them like i wanted to for Christmas so its going to be a wile  :( 

Reepicheep

Hah, no burden at all. If you're struggling to find something, say so on this thread. We can help you out. We'll get you recovered in no time.

crosspotts1.0

i might post on here what i can find and if any one needs any ill send them to them and request what i cant find or if u have something i don't just pm me where i can find it or put it on media fire for me

also is there a place thats free that i can host my skins meshes skopes and all before i release them i dont have money  :lol:

daglob

I would have suggested Yahoo until recently, but nowadays they seem to be losing files. Mediafire has a free account, and a lot of people use it. There is a posting site called Mega that I have gotten files from, and it seems to be alright (but I don't know about getting an account). Zippyshare has started trying to hold files for ransom, and insist that you let them put some malware on your computer, or call a bogus tech service and let them remove non-existent viruses (probably in exchange for your credit card number) in order to download anything.

Cyber Burn

Personally, I'm liking MediaFire. Since I started having issues with AOL as well, I pretty much only use MediaFire now.

crosspotts1.0

i still need nif scope and is there a way to get 3ds max 5 for free id realy like to make key frames for us all to enjoy :lol:

crosspotts1.0

thank u

crosspotts1.0

daglob

Exactly what is going on? Maybe someone can offer suggestions to keep it from happening again.

BentonGrey

Yeah, Steam shouldn't be doing this, so clearly something is up. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Cyber Burn

Is it possible that you could have picked up a Virus somewhere?

crosspotts1.0

well i click on the game to launch it it wont  launch and i click on the steam buton and it wont launch eaither

iv run viruse scans nothings come up

but i do search the web for textures and pictures for my chars

i just have to keep reinstaling steam

daglob

You will probably get a lot of dumb questions, so here are mine:

You did look on your hard drive to be sure the directory is gone, right? 

Also, have you checked the shortcut's properties and be sure it (or they) point(s) to the right file.

You said something about the wipeout happening while you were updating; what did you mean?

Have you tried searching your hard drive for *.HERO, *.DDS. or *.TGA files? Maybe they somehow got in the wrong place.

crosspotts1.0

yes on all but last but i finaly can keep it all orgnized :P

daglob

Stupid questions part 2:

Is your hard drive internal and external?

What kind of anti-static measures do you have? I once screwed up the data on a HD with some static electricity. This was 25-30 years ago, though...

crosspotts1.0

Cyber Burn

Do you have any back-up measures in place? For example, I have all of the Custom Characters in my Library backed up on a Flash Drive, and then as I add new ones to my collection, I also add them to the Flash Drive. It's been a life saver more than a few times.

daglob

Backing up your data is a great idea, but it shouldn't be getting erased so often. I don't think anyone else has had that problem.

BentonGrey

Yeah, there is definitely something wrong, as Steam shouldn't even be able to do that.
God Bless