News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 104: Wolverine

Started by Podmark, December 11, 2016, 01:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Wolverine's 90s look?

Love
Meh
Dislike
Hate

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

daglob

Ouflah

I love the blue and yellow Wolverine costume. I would just tweak the mask to make it a little more like the first mask he had in Hulk 181 (I liked the shorter ears and the whiskers) and shorten the height of the belt and it would be in my opinion even better.

EDIT: This is what I mean. I just quickly photoshopped an image I found on Google.
Spoiler
I haven't seen Wolverine drawn quite this way ever before, but this is what I see in my head as the ideal Wolverine suit.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

OrWolvie1

Well, seeings how we're talking about my namesake here, I feel I should put my two cents worth in here. The traditional yellow and blue is by far my favorite of all of Logan's costumes. I liked the premiere outfit from Hulk #181 but didn't much care for the headgear. I also wasn't a big fan of Dave Cockrum's revamping of the costume in GS1 but it grew on me. I guess, for me, it has a lot to do with the artist who was drawing him at the time. And in my opinion, one of the best was John Byrne. He streamlined the headgear just enough to make it functional, without really changing it a whole lot. Course, he's also the one who came up with Logan's Brown and orange outfit, which I really didn't care for at all. True, it was more in tune with the animal color scheme, but I had grown used to the old yellow and blue and it just looked wrong. And as time went on, others tried various other ideas, and none of them really worked for me either. Call me a traditionalist.  :)

Tomato

I feel like I should have my comic book fan-ness revoked, but I only gave it a Like. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the Astonishing X-men redesign of this look (which manages to get rid of the underoos but keep the color balance, something certain Superman designs could take note of) and my all time favorite color scheme is the Brown costume.

Glitch Girl

In that case Tomato, my comic book fan-ness would have to be banned for life.  I voted the "meh".

While I like what the mask evolved into, the yellow and blue have never worked for me.  The color breakup is good, but I just really hate the color combination and the stripes, while they look good say "tiger" more than "wolverine to me.  So it all balances out for me to a "meh".

OTOH, I am a huge fan of the brown and orange look.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Cyber Burn

I went with "Like" on this, but I also prefer the brown costume.

Podmark

I gave it a Like but this particular version of the costume looks a little dated. The individual details look disjointed, like they were just pasted together. Still it's the building block of Wolverine's basic design and the mask is iconic.

Was sick last week and wasn't able to do a poll, but there will be two up this weekend.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

spydermann93

My favorite Wolvie costume EVAH!!!!

While it would be silly to see it in a live action movie, in the comics, I wouldn't have any other costume :P

Podmark

I forgot to mention that I like the Astonishing design much better, it takes this and finds a way to make it even better.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

5: This is a very striking, interesting costume.  It's perhaps the ultimate example of the 'what works on the page doesn't necessarily work in real life' rule.  Of all comic characters on the screen, I can most understand filmmakers changing Wolverine's costume because it is pretty unrealistic.  Yet, that's part of the fun of comics, that outlandish things can be accepted and work. 

The costume itself is bright and colorful, which is good, especially in light of how comics have moved towards dark and dreary, and it's also rather ironic given the character's own role at the forefront of such trends.  It's a pretty good design, and the mix of the black, yellow, and blue makes for a fairly unique combination.  The mask is iconic and instantly recognizable.  Ultimately, while the brown version is arguably a better costume, THIS is Wolverine to me.  I love this costume, despite it's flaws and excesses.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

bat1987

Gave it a like just because i preffer the orange tan look with this outfit. Otherwise its a classic and the suit looked good in MvC games.