The game STILL won't run... and now...

Started by daglob, December 18, 2016, 04:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

I've looked at other posts on this subject, but I can't quite see how to fix it. I'm trying to open FF1, and get "failed to load character def". I haven't merged any files, and I removed the last few hero files that I made. Still, no go.

Help?

Okay, I got Customforce to load, but there were no characters listed. I don't remember if it is supposed to be this way or not.

daglob

Okay, I kept looking for things that might be wrong. I opened the character.dat file and erased the last entry, and saved as 2character.dat, and closed Wordpad. I went to the directory, renamed character.dat to character.old, renamed 2character.dat to just plain character.dat, and the thing works.

So, this worked for me, but I don't know why it got messed up in the first place.

daglob

I posted too soon. The game loads, but none of the built-in characters are displayed in the character creation section.

Cyber Burn

Now, I've seen this error before, but it was in FFvt3R, and not FF1. I never figured out what caused it, but I ended up having to do a complete re-install.

daglob

daglob

While running the patch, I got a Fetch Error during diff, some kind of error patching the Characters.dat.

Now what?

daglob

And I discover that the reinstall didn't install the whole game. None of Irrational's generic meshes ever made it nor did the art.ff file.

daglob

Found out that the original game didn't uninstall. Tried it again, and it worked. Now I can't reinstall it.

spydermann93

daglob

Original CD on a Windows 10 machine.

I took possession of the folder where it is supposed to install, and it goes through the motions but doesn't do anything. I checked to be sure it wasn't installing on the C drive even after  I told it to use the D drive.

daglob

I got it to install on the C drive with no trouble at all. Now it says it is missing zlib-1.1.3.dll. Even if I found it, where would it go?

daglob

When I click on the icon, it makes sure I have permission, then the hard drive spins and nothing... The same thing happens when I try to open FFXEdit. I did get CTool and FFEdit to work. Now I have to figure out why it erased several characters.

FFv3R still works.

daglob

daglob

I can click on the .exe file and I get the little whirling circle, it asks if I want FF to alter stuff on the disk, but nothing loads.

BentonGrey

I'm sorry DG, this is a new one on me.  I hope you can figure it out!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

Oh joy; Nifscope doesn't work either.

I've been trying to roll the update back, but so far, it won't let me.

Cyber Burn

Which version of NifSkope are you using, and what kind of error are you getting?

daglob

I don't know, and it won't open so I can check. I don't get an error message, according to Process Explorer it loads into memory then unloads, same as FF.

Cyber Burn

Are you having any Non-FF related PC issues?

daglob

Scads, but it was fine until the forced MS update yesterday. Now very little "Microsoft" software is able to run on my machine.

crosspotts1.0

i try not to up date cause it screws every thing up for some reason :thumbdown:

daglob

It still won't load.

FFv3R still works. :angry:

daglob

It still won't load. I can peek at Process Explorer real quick when I try to start it. It shows up in the existing process then disappears, just about as fast as you can say it.

Is there a log someplace that might tell me what is going on?

spydermann93

I've been trying to figure out what's happening here, but I can't make heads or tails of it.

daglob

Here's a thought: The version of FF I have had on this computer was put there by a friend, and it was fixed so that it was not necessary to have the disk in the cd drive. I've re-installed from my original disk, though, so does it still need the disk? The disk is still in there, but I've moved FF to the D drive. Is there someplace I need to tell the game how to find the cd drive? I can't remember if I did this when I put FFv3R on the D drive; I do need the disk in the drive for it to run.

daglob

I had a funny idea, so I installed FF1 on the C drive to see if I could get it to run there. I patched it, left the CD in the drive, and I get a little spinning wheel, then nothing.

Any suggestions at all?

BentonGrey

Hrm.  I'm afraid you've I'm not tech savy enough to know what needs to be done regarding the different drives.  You have CD versions of both games that won't run?  What version of Windows do you have? 

I wonder if the Steam or GOG versions might work better.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

daglob

I'm using WX, but it ran just fine for several months. FFv3R seems to work.

BentonGrey

Man, that's so weird.  I've not had trouble with either of them in Windows 10 recently.  And it is a disk version?  I think I might try the Steam version and just see if that makes any difference.
God Bless