The game STILL won't run... and now...

Started by daglob, December 18, 2016, 04:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyldFyre

I had trouble with the disk version too. I think the problem may be in the registry entries for FF. If you uninstall and then reinstall to a different directory, Win10 looks for the first install for some reason. I believe you have to uninstall, reboot, and then reinstall for Win10 to recognize the new directory, and possibly reboot after the reinstall as well, just to make sure. I don't remember exactly, but I think this might force the registry change.

This affected me on the editor installation. I now run the GoG version, and Win10 wanted to use my old disk install directory for the editor. I finally got everything to work, but it was a time consuming process.

Hope that all made sense, and hope you can get it working.
For Freedom!

daglob

Spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to fix this. I didn't. I have made sure the files are not read only, took possession of the FF folder, set it up to run under every compatibility mode they had (it worked under Windows 7, but FFv3R runs under the compatibility mode as WXP Service Pack 2 just fine). I've used a program manager to watch as the FF program and a .dll load, then are killed. I believe it is a security issue, and despite being an Administrator, it doesn't believe that I should run the program.

The annoying thing is as time goes by (and I mean weeks), other stuff starts acting funny. At first, I was able to convert FF1 .nifs to FFv3R easily; a few weeks back, I had to create a folder just for conversion,and it took an hour to set up the permissions so that it will let me convert. I suspect that eventually that will stop after a later update.I am going to try again to put it on the C drive, but am open to any and all suggestions.

WyldFyre

The only other thing I can think of is your AV program. Are you using the Win version or a third party?

You may have to create an exception in the AV if it has that ability. Sometime I get a "Windows Firewall has blocked execution of this program" error even though I use third party AV software.

You can also try disabling the AV program for the install.

Sorry if you've tried all this before, just throwing stuff out there.
For Freedom!

Cyber Burn

I actually had to uninstall every single Add-On one by one, until every thing FF related was removed from my PC. Then I had to restart my PC, and do a Clean re-Install of everything. It took me a while to figure it out, but once I did, it finally worked.

spydermann93

Man, I wish that I could help you, Glob, but I have no clue what's going on with this. :(

daglob

Okay, do you have to have Python to make FF work? In among the assorted thing I've done , one has generated an errormessage that Python is incorrectly installed. I need to know which version I need, also.

WyldFyre

Not to my knowledge. I never had python installed until well after FFvtTR came out.
For Freedom!

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Cyber Burn on April 15, 2017, 03:21:24 AM
I actually had to uninstall every single Add-On one by one, until every thing FF related was removed from my PC. Then I had to restart my PC, and do a Clean re-Install of everything. It took me a while to figure it out, but once I did, it finally worked.

And now Daglob's luck has hit me as well. Both, my Win 8.1 Laptop, and my Win 10 Desktop, have stopped playing both Games.

At least with my Win 10 though, I am getting an error message for FFvt3R:

Not exactly sure what it means though.

spydermann93

Have you modded the game at all since your last run? In particular, have you modified the mod that you're trying to launch?

Sometimes when I modify data files using python scrips like the ChangeActiveDefenseDuration (paraphrasing the name), I get similar errors.

daglob

Yeah, I was gonna say; thee is a .dat file messed up. I still have FFv3R, but even after this long, FF1 won't run.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: spydermann93 on August 27, 2017, 12:55:44 AM
Have you modded the game at all since your last run? In particular, have you modified the mod that you're trying to launch?

Sometimes when I modify data files using python scrips like the ChangeActiveDefenseDuration (paraphrasing the name), I get similar errors.

This is actually for the Main Game, no Modding done to it except altering the FX and Sounds Dat Files.

daglob

FFv3R has quit working. Well, mostly, anyway. I can still open the game and create characters, but actually playing the game is impossible. The Danger Room doesn't work either. I'm pretty sure that it's a memory problem; apparently Windows has a bunch of Svchost files that take up a little memory and either are not supposed to be nor cannot be "killed". There also seem to be some "stealth" programs WX loads into the memory and are not listed in taskmanager (I found this out when I shut down the machine and was informed that such and such was still running and was I sure I wanted to close or something like that).

When feasible I'll see if I can increase the memory.

Deaths Jester

I'd run some heavy duty anti-viral on the machine cause there shouldn't be a whole lot of svchosts running...and stealth stuff always makes me questionable...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

BentonGrey

CB, that happened to me once when I accidentally opened the campaign tab while FFEdit was pointing to vanilla FF2.  If you do that, it screws up the campdef somehow.  Just replace that file and things SHOULD be okay, if it is the same thing that happened to me.

DG, DJ is right.  You might also try some programs like CCleaner:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/registry-cleaner
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on November 01, 2017, 06:53:41 AM
CB, that happened to me once when I accidentally opened the campaign tab while FFEdit was pointing to vanilla FF2.  If you do that, it screws up the campdef somehow.  Just replace that file and things SHOULD be okay, if it is the same thing that happened to me.

DG, DJ is right.  You might also try some programs like CCleaner:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/registry-cleaner

Is CCleaner good? I hear a lot of people use it, but I've always been a bit wary of it. Would you guys recommend using it?

bearded

Are you in admin? I found that win10 will change setting unless you are in as admin user. Then I use the steam fforce.exe. fixed nearly everything.