News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Out of memory.

Started by Jimaras8, December 22, 2016, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimaras8

I have pinpointed my crash problem cause (for reference, here is the original post http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=56703.msg804454#msg804454).

It seems that the game has reached maximum character capacity or something like that. For the record i'm playing Benton's MA mod. Everytime i add a new character i get this message :alert:CFastHeap:allocate, outofmainmemory. When this happens i have to revert to my backup dats since the game and FFEdit don't respond. How did this happen?

spydermann93

Is there anything else you've done when you added a character? Anything like, say, modifying the length of an Active Defense using the ChangeActiveDefenceDuration script?

Maybe you have reached a character limit, though I'm not sure how much you've added to Benton's mod.

Jimaras8

The only thing that i did differently the past week was changing the power values in FFEDIT. I don't remember if it was you i was having the conversation spyder but the Rumble Room kept cutting two levels from two powers from every character i added in the dat. For example my custom Hobgoblin had 23.500 cp only when i chose him in RR over the 24000 cp he normally has because two of his powers were downgraded.

Anyway i don't know if that is the reason, that's the only thing i did differently compared to all those years. I don't think it's because i have added too much. In the current version of the testing MA that i have that Benton sent us a few months ago i have added 20 characters top so i don't think this is the cause.

spydermann93

Yeah, the power thing wouldn't cause any issues.

This is strange. Do you have a backup file you can go to? If so, try to add one or two characters at a time. If you still get a crash, even when adding one, then you might have actually reached a characer limit.

daglob

I've had that problem in the past, and what I did was remove characters until it worked, shifting them one at a time into another folder. I ended up having an "auxiliaries" folder with some of the characters I seldom if ever used. If I wanted to play them, I just had to shift them back. If one had a hero file, I moved it as well. At the time, I was limited to around 1600. I just checked and I have over 9000 FF and 8000 FFv3R with my present system.

Jimaras8

Does anyone have any suggestion or sultion for that? it's pretty unnatural to have added only 30 characters total and zero maps and to have run out of memory. is there anything i can do or full reinstall is my only option?

BentonGrey

Okay, I've encountered this before, and it was because of a corrupted DAT rather than just having too much material.  Adding even 30 characters to MA shouldn't cause a resource choke, as the DCUG has, like twice as many characters.  My GUESS is that there's something messing up when you're adding characters.  What are you using to do it?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Jimaras8

Just  the normal Add to dat M25 tool in the Rumble Room. I did the thing you suggested about the maps a week ago and transfered the area_specific1 to area_specific, i don't know if this has anything to do with the issue so i just mention it. I have been adding characters this way for years. I brand them in the FFXCC, run the ai tool in RR and then i add them to dat.

BentonGrey

Well, that's the safest way to add them, no doubt about it.  The moving of the map files shouldn't affect anything.  How many are you adding at a time?  It's possible that adding too many in one go could create an issue.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Jimaras8

One at a time. I haven't added more than one in over a year. I put a lot of testing and balancing time to a single hero file before adding it. It'm very thorough. That's why it's driving me crazy. it doesn't make any sense. Which dat file was corrupted in your case?

BentonGrey

That's very strange.  I'd recommend replacing the add-to-dat RR mode with a new one.  I don't know if it will do any good, but it's something to try.

In at least one instance, the corrupted dat was Powers.
God Bless