What do you think?

2 (20%)
Passable
3 (30%)
Dislike
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

HarryTrotter

To try something different,lets go with some covers that might not be the most famous or iconic,but are still unique and interesting.And were probably homaged a few times.First one;Wildcats Homecoming tpb by Travis Cherest.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Hmm, very interesting idea, Spade!  This is an interesting and unusual cover, but not having any context for it (since I never read the book), it's not very impressive to me.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Ouflah

I agree, cover ratings is a great idea!

I would encourage more incremental ratings, because I don't dislike this cover but it doesn't interest me in the interior of the book, either (which might mean it's somewhat less than passable).
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

HarryTrotter

Yeah,familiarity plays a large part in these.But,for me at least,its interesting to see what people not familiar with something think about it at first glance.
Maybe a 1-5 system in the future?Thou,I guess people can always elaborate in their comments?
Also;Hey Kids,Alan Moore inside. :)
Jon Farmer

Tomato

I feel like Pod's 5 system is a bit better, because it allows for the distinction between "it's better than average" and "it's fantastic" for those who don't want to write a full post detailing their thoughts on it.

That said, love the idea of critiquing covers, but as someone with no background on this particular cover or its history... This one is not really good at all. I'm no design major, but the all white background, the way my eye seems to fall off on the right side of the page, and just the overall lack of balance on this cover would make me more likely to avoid it on a comic stand then buy it. It doesn't help matters that the "Homecoming" blazoned just under the logo looks like the logos I was creating with Photoshop when I was 10.

Again, not knowing anything about the inspiration for this cover, I would have made the lady with "Void" on her shirt bigger (she looks out of scale) and moved her to the center, and then re-centering the entire group. I would also have had a background in there so it wasn't entirely negative space, but again, I don't know what it's based on to know if that design choice was intentional.

HarryTrotter

I say it too often,but hey,it was the 90's. :)
So far I went with the simpler rating system,because I thought it was enough(and I didnt want to be accused of stealing from Podmark),but next time I will try something different.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

*shrug* I totally get that, but to be fair, the 5 star rating system predates Pod's threads by a couple decades. I don't think anyone really has a case there  :P

HarryTrotter

I was talking about his love/like/okay/hate system.
All that said,expect another trial run soon.Probably not something so exotic. :)
And ofc,Im not stoping anyone from making their own polls.
Jon Farmer

Podmark

I went with dislike. At a glance this cover just makes me go "huh?" and I know basically nothing about Wildcats so like others I've got no context to fill in the blanks. Also the art doesn't really do anything for me, it's okay but it doesn't excite me in any way. I have this feeling that a different artist might make this work better for me.

All that said, I feel like the concept behind this cover - I get a minimalist off brand super hero feel - could really work for me. This particular one just doesn't.

I really like the idea cover reviews. That's a really fun idea. I'd love to see more.
As for the rating I (unsurprisingly) prefer the 5 scale as well. I find 10 scale is too wide, especially since we only get around 10 votes per. I debated a 2 scale (Like/Dislike) once upon a time but it's far too limited.

(Now I've just got to figure out what my poll will be this week...)
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

bat1987

Gave it a passable. Can't give it more without the context unfortunately.