Star Wars: Episode VIII (Mild Spoilers)

Started by Shogunn2517, January 23, 2017, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-official-title-for-star-wars-episode-viii-revealed

The title has been revealed.... And seemingly, my initial thoughts, would be this would be fitting for an Episode IX.

But I suppose it gives us an idea of a plot.

Silver Shocker

I find the title kind of ironic considering a major theme and premise of the expanded universe novels was that Luke wasn't in the fact the Last Jedi, but the first in a new line of Jedi.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

Talavar

First and last are pretty interchangeable terms until/if more come.  Luke/Rey or Luke and Rey (Jedi is the plural of Jedi) can be the last jedi up to this point, just as they could be the first jedi of a new order.  Some people on the internet are reading way too much into this title.

Silver Shocker

Considering Mark Hamill himself has encouraged speculation as to the film right after the title was revealed, including calling the film a "Samurai" film...um...yeah, gonna have to disagree with that.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Ouflah

I think the title probably uses jedi in the plural sense for reasons that will be revealed in the movie.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Ouflah on January 24, 2017, 05:10:33 PM
I think the title probably uses jedi in the plural sense for reasons that will be revealed in the movie.

That's an interesting theory...

Tomato

So I was watching a news roundup on youtube called the Know (it's mostly gaming news) and I thought I'd share one of the highlights here... namely that Ouflah was correct. Several renditions of the title, including the French, Spanish and German versions, are more clear in the use of "Jedi" in the plural sense... you can check that out here if you're curious.

Talavar

I saw that Tomato, as well as a new look at the younger main characters from toy packaging from John Boyega himself: https://t.co/RX26MKBkHx

Shogunn2517

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ

Spoiler
"I only know one truth... It's time for the Jedi to end."

I assume that's who I think it is... and I suppose I can guess why they said it.... But maybe it's just a little too far?

Pretty dramatic though.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on April 14, 2017, 07:29:56 PM
I assume that's who I think it is... and I suppose I can guess why they said it.... But maybe it's just a little too far?

Pretty dramatic though.

My guess is that's Luke response when Rey comes to him wanting to be trained by THE legendary Jedi she heard stories about. He is completely done with training anyone much less calling himself a Jedi worthy of the name after his own dream went up in smoke.

Spoiler
Luke probably decides to tackle the balance issue with Jedi/Sith by creating a neutral type of force user which understands both sides of the force. Jedi were the light side and Sith were the dark side but both are extreme sides of the same Force coin. It would take someone like Luke who has been tempted to follow in his Dad's footsteps to understand that maybe trying a new method using old teaching philosopies from The Old Republic and even earlier when Jedi and Sith had not divided out into different schools of thought. Just an idea and something that could seed interest in an Old Republic one-shot. 

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

daglob

I don't know if y'all remember:

Spoiler
In one of the Dark Horse series, Luke worked for somebody on the Dark Side, maybe The Emperor, in order to understand what he was confronting.

Jeeze, but it's been a long time since I read that...

The_Baroness

Quote from: daglob on April 15, 2017, 02:56:22 PM
I don't know if y'all remember:

Spoiler
In one of the Dark Horse series, Luke worked for somebody on the Dark Side, maybe The Emperor, in order to understand what he was confronting.

Jeeze, but it's been a long time since I read that...

Dark Empire ?

daglob

51°23'2.30"N    0°34'53.80"W
Plug these coordinates into Google Earth/Maps.

BentonGrey

Quote from: crimsonquill on April 15, 2017, 08:16:26 AM
Quote from: Shogunn2517 on April 14, 2017, 07:29:56 PM

Pretty dramatic though.

My guess is that's Luke response when Rey comes to him wanting to be trained by THE legendary Jedi she heard stories about. He is completely done with training anyone much less calling himself a Jedi worthy of the name after his own dream went up in smoke.

Spoiler
Luke probably decides to tackle the balance issue with Jedi/Sith by creating a neutral type of force user which understands both sides of the force. Jedi were the light side and Sith were the dark side but both are extreme sides of the same Force coin. It would take someone like Luke who has been tempted to follow in his Dad's footsteps to understand that maybe trying a new method using old teaching philosopies from The Old Republic and even earlier when Jedi and Sith had not divided out into different schools of thought. Just an idea and something that could seed interest in an Old Republic one-shot. 

- CQ

I've heard this idea a lot, CQ, and I think there is probably a great deal of truth to this prediction, given the ugly, shabby world they've created, but:

Spoiler
The whole concept of the 'Grey' Jedi completely betrays the concepts upon which the universe is built.  It destroys the mythic foundations of the series.  It's entirely understandable why it would be an attractive addition to the mythos in our relativistic age, but it is not in the DNA of Star Wars.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Glitch Girl

Just came back from seeing it.

The trailers don't give away hardly anything. There are many MANY surprises.  And moments to cheer.  It was tense and fun and I loved it.

More later probably, but it's 11:30 pm and I have work tomorrow and still have to shower before bed. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

GhostMachine

Some jerk spewed out a bunch of spoilers in zone chat in Champions Online last night. As I won't be seeing it for at least a week, I've been trying to avoid them. If his spoilers were true, may he rot. If one in particular is true....may the script writer rot.

Shogunn2517

Okay, I would go ahead and say I am the foremost expert on all things Star Wars on FR and the authority of knowledge.  True or false, I claim the title.  Feel free to challenge, but I'll give my thoughts on SW8:TLJ.  Spoiler free.

Admittedly, because it's a Star Wars movie and because the last Star Wars movie(Rogue One) was an unmitigated electrifying soul shaking experience, my expectations for this were umistakingly high.  And I gotta be honest, because it's Star Wars, I probably was going to like it regardless.  I mean, I'm that one guy that purposely watches the prequels and likes it.  But with that said, it is Star Wars, but like the feeling I got with The Force Awakens, there's something different about The Last Jedi.  Even if I wanted to spoil it, I don't think I can even put my finger on it precisely.  Maybe it's because the original trilogy and the setting and everything it made me feel just gives me that feeling of nostalgia that this sequel trilogy can't replicated...

Bottom line though, if you're not a fan, not familiar with the series, it's a likable and enjoyable movie. If you are a fan, then it has those same Star Wars trappings that connect us to it and you'll enjoy the movie.  However, one thing is clear:  there is a whooooooooooooooole lot of movie here.  It is long AF.  Even for a fan like me.  Lot of moving parts.  When you think it's over or gonna end, there's a 30 minutes more of movie.  But as long as you're prepared for it, it will probably connect with you.

Shogunn2517

AND FOR FORCE SAKE CAN THEY PUT THE DRUM ROLL AND ORCHESTRA BACK AT THE START OF STAR WARS MOVIES NOW! #DisneyFoxMerger

GhostMachine

One question: Do they explain something that wasn't in the previous movie: How Rey can use the Force and a lightsaber without any training whatsoever? Two things that both Anakin and Luke couldn't do.

daglob

I'm wondering if they say that Han was Force sensitive, which accounts for his being a hot shot pilot and shooting targets without looking at them.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: GhostMachine on December 16, 2017, 04:35:23 AM
One question: Do they explain something that wasn't in the previous movie: How Rey can use the Force and a lightsaber without any training whatsoever? Two things that both Anakin and Luke couldn't do.

Spoiler
Technically, both Anakin and Luke both could use the Force without training.  Anakin being able to expertly pilot a pod racer with average human insticts.  Luke being able to accurately bullseye a exhaust port without aiming.  But to your point, to go from thinking Luke Skywalker is to her as Thor is to us and then being able to do be able to lift Thor's hammer as she was able to Force pull and alter mind as she was able to do.... no, they did not explain any of it.

As a matter of fact they might have made it worse.

*Granted, not only was she very well trained with melee weapons to begin with, the Force could aid her at anticipating movements of her opponents.

Red Fisser

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on December 16, 2017, 07:37:08 AM
Quote from: GhostMachine on December 16, 2017, 04:35:23 AM

Havent seen the movie yet, but I think lightsabers can be used by anyone(in the movie universe) , no matter how force-sensitive he is.

detourne_me

Ive got a question for those of us who have seen it. Its not a story spoiler or anything. Just a question about the filmmaking.
Spoiler
were there character bios that popped up whenever a classic character was introduced? They appeared here in Korea and i wasnt sure if it was a regional thing.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: detourne_me on December 16, 2017, 01:29:42 PM
Ive got a question for those of us who have seen it. Its not a story spoiler or anything. Just a question about the filmmaking.
Spoiler
were there character bios that popped up whenever a classic character was introduced? They appeared here in Korea and i wasnt sure if it was a regional thing.

Spoiler
Did they do that for all five classic characters?  Or just the three with significant dialogue?

Reepicheep

Spoiler
I saw it last night. I didn't love it as much as I wanted to.

The thing was, it's a pretty cool movie. But there was SO MUCH throwaway bits. Throwaway lines, throwaway characters, throwaway characters, even a huge throwaway plot. It's the sort of stuff that bad writers tend to fill empty spaces of their movie with when they've run out of ideas, but this movie really didn't need to fill empty space. I kept finding it really jarring that they had no idea how to end a scene without a throwaway joke, or kept introducing us to characters or making us watch scenes that didn't matter.

Take Leia flying through space. I have no problem with that in itself. I know other fans can be quite elitist about what the force can or can't do, but I'm ok with that even if the CGI did look a bit stifled. But the lead up to that scene was Kylo Ren making the difficult decision not to blast the cruiser's bridge, then someone else blasts the bridge anyway, then Leia rescues herself from being in space... So neither Kylo's decision nor indecision actually means anything because Leia survives regardless of the outcome, and Kylo doesn't seem to develop much out of it. He doesn't go and blast the TIE fighter that fired on the bridge. And then later in the movie the bridge is back! There's no consequence to that scene, other than us being told that Admiral Akbar is dead. I didn't even know he was there.

I guess what I'm saying is every development in the movie only seems to change one thing at a time, when there were so many opportunities to let these events have massive repercussions for the plot and for the characters.

To balance that with something I really liked:

Spoiler
The entire Luke on the island plot was fantastic. I adored the character they made from Luke - he seemed like the natural result of episodes 4-6. Still impulsive and still a bit baffled by himself and by the force. I went in expecting him to be a wise teacher for Rey, but what they did with him was wonderful. I'm glad he was funny as well.

I also like that Rey's ability with the force was born out of balance. Because Kylo was becoming powerful in the dark, Rey balanced him in the light. To me, that was much cooler than her being a Skywalker. And I'm glad nobody used the word 'medichlorians'. It's made the Force feel alive and purposeful again, like the original series did. Their relationship with each other was great.

detourne_me

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on December 16, 2017, 05:31:29 PM
Quote from: detourne_me on December 16, 2017, 01:29:42 PM
Spoiler

Spoiler
Did they do that for all five classic characters?  Or just the three with significant dialogue?

For just Rey, Luke, Leia, and Kylo Ren I think, maybe Poe and Finn, too.  I have a feeling it only happened in Korea.

BWPS

This is the best Star Wars movie ever. At one point Luke

Spoiler
drinks milk out of a freaky freak monster's titie holes
you can't make this stuff up.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.