News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Nifscope on a laptop...

Started by daglob, February 01, 2017, 10:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

Sounds like something you'd eat: devils on horseback, shoot on a shingle, ham on rye, Adam and Eve on a raft, nifscope on a laptop...

Since the prognosis on my desktop is rather grim, I have been trying to fix my laptop so that I can at least do simple stuff for Freedom Force. After taking most of last night to get GIMP set up and saving stuff ("I don't care if you are the Administrator, you can't have permission"), getting the Bamboo tablet working, and finally getting an archive program to read and extract .zip, 7z, and .rar files (Both Winzip and 7zip are acting persnickety). Now I come to Nifskope: it won't run. Like FF was doing on  my desktop, the little blue wheel appears and I can see that it is now in the list of the process explorer, then the werfault thingie pops up and both disappear.

It's an Asus laptop running Windows 10, and I downloaded the most recent version of Nifskope.

Any suggestions?

Cybertronian

My laptop (a Toshiba Satellite A305) runs NifSkope 1.0 on Windows 7 and so far, so good. Like yours, mine has this annoying habit of checking ownership of specific files, even though I am the SOLE user. (It's for this reason that I'm afraid to change the username.)
So far, I've had some success editing keyframes, even that "take your dog for a walk" process of copying individual animations from one set into another. It helps if you have a lot of time on your hands.
Quick question: How much RAM do you have to work with? Do you run a lot of things at one time (photoshop, Character Tool, FF/FFvt3R, etc.)?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MetroplexBattleNetwork -- The new Freedom Force fight club that you DO talk about!

(STILL offering incentives to new and unpatched players, PLUS some of my own FX experiments!)

daglob

Right now I don't have either game on the laptop. I have CTool 1, but actually I haven't seen how may things I can run at a time because I really just started on this. It has 4g of memory. I'm using this for a temporary solution (but it will be longer than I thought); I'm hoping that it won't become permanent.

WyldFyre

I have Nifscope on my laptop with Win10 and no issues. Did you run the installer as an administrator? I have noticed that *some* programs don't install correctly unless you run the install as an admin.

The other thing may be running the actual program as an admin. It gets annoying with the "Do you want to allow...." message every time you run it, but it solves about 90% of my issues.

Other than that, I'm kind of at a loss.  Hope you can get it working.
For Freedom!

daglob

I set it up to run as an administrator, but didn't install it as one. I'll give that a try.  Thanks!