News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Black & White meshes?

Started by jackhartt1967, February 15, 2017, 07:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackhartt1967

Apologies if this has been dealt with previously.

I have a number of meshes. They may all be skopes, but I can't remember now, anyway, they show up in the character viewer black & white and even the EZNifconverter doesn't make them work.

Solutions?

Thanks.

Cyber Burn

Is this for the first Freedom Force Game? If so, you may be missing a texture (.tga file).

jackhartt1967

WyldFyre

Could you post a pic of what you mean?
In FFvtTR most meshes which are missing textures show as pink. Do you mean they are black and white where color should be? Or do you mean that they are not showing the textures at all?
For Freedom!

daglob

The black and white effect looks like it is actually an 'X'. I think CB is right in that a texture is missing or misnamed (male-basic or male basic or mlea_ basic  instead of male_basic for instance).

Just so you know: it's been my experience that if the texture is the wrong size it looks turquoise in CTool. Like 3.6x3.6 or 7.2x7.2 or 14.0x14.0 instead of 3.556x3.556 and so on. Every once in awhile, the game will read the texture anyway, and the appearance is rather humorous.

jackhartt1967

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Daglob is correct, in the game screens these four meshes (Agent_13, Dr_Strange_T_hex1969, Venom (Gargan), and SkullNinjas) all show up as silhouettes with no detail but colored about half-black and half-white roughly in an X pattern.

I looked at them in the character tool add-on (outside the game), and all of them show as pink, except Agent 13 who shows up as she should show up in the game.

Interestingly, I have a number of meshes that show up pink in the character tool add-on that work correctly in the game. The difference between the pink ones that work and the pink ones that don't is in the animations list. All three of the pink meshes that do not work in the game list no animations. All the pink meshes that do work in the game have their animations listed.

Agent 13 (who shows up correctly) in the character tool add-on also has her animations listed.

Not sure if any of that helps identify the problem, but if it is a texture issue, is there anyway I can fix it?     

Cyber Burn

Usually, you could just find out what texture is missing, and copy one of the same name from another Mesh.

WyldFyre

Like CB said, a missing refl or glow texture can make a pink hue. And DG is right too, some skinners packaged the refl and glow files smaller than the original sizes to save space on downloads and some didn't include them at all. So if you had a skin that is male_basic for example on a mesh with refl and glow active, you would need the refl and glow files.

I have found that generally the refl and glow should be the same size as the skin. And I've noticed that flipping to skins of different sizes (say 256x256 to a 512x512) on the same mesh crashes my ctool, haven't noticed that in game however.

Also, apparently dds and tga files do not play well together in ctool or game. if the skin is in dds format the refl and glow should be too.
For Freedom!