News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Pinkish hair & mesh details?

Started by jackhartt1967, February 11, 2017, 07:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackhartt1967

Hi folks, just returned after years away and I am in the process of rebuilding my FFvTR files. I'm running FFX 3.3 on windows 10 & suddenly some of my characters show up in the rumble room with pinkish hair and & other miss-colored aspects. The maps all look fine, and only some of my characters look this way, not all.

I tried uninstalling ffx3 and reinstalling it. Same issue. So I checked the rumble room in FFvTR to see if it does the same thing without ffx3 and it does.

I probably didn't search for the right thing here, but I didn't see a thread on this issue.

Anyone know of a simple fix?

Thank 

Cyber Burn

The first thing to try, would be to make sure that the Characters that you are using have been converted for FFvt3R (Both the .Nif File, and the .KF File). You also want to make sure that the Art Files/Textures have been converted from .TGA Format to .DDS Format.

If that doesn't work, then we'll try the next option.

jackhartt1967

Thanks for the quick response.

The effected meshes and skins were converted and ALL them had worked previously. Like yesterday actually. I did a bunch of downloads last night and installed quite a few new meshes from yahoo sources and places I had not previously utilized. Not sure if or how this might have effect things, but it is the only change I had made to the game and like I said, ALL of the effected characters looked great and functioned correctly previously.

I should also mention that this had happened previously, about a month ago, with some new characters I had recently installed, but I was also having trouble with ffx3 attributes at that time, so I uninstalled and reinstalled and both issues were resolved. That did not solve the problem this time, and the effected meshes are still pink even when I run the game without ffx3.

Anyway, I haven't tested all the new meshes I installed last night, could an unconverted mesh screw up the art files/textures for an unrelated mesh?

PS thanks for all the work you're still doing with this game. Really enjoying it again. 

jackhartt1967

Oh, and by way of follow up, since I thought maybe I had answered my own question, I tested all the meshes I installed last night, and converted all the ones that needed it. But I'm still getting pink hair on some characters, and I noticed that their feet also seem to be sitting just under the ground of the map, rather than on top of it.

So I probably have fouled up something in the art/texture file.

daglob

Some items being pink can mean that a texture file is missing: glow or refl, or if it's a scope maybe the proper lightmap for those pieces. The business with the feet is something I'm not familiar with.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: daglob on February 11, 2017, 11:01:48 PM
Some items being pink can mean that a texture file is missing: glow or refl, or if it's a scope maybe the proper lightmap for those pieces.

Basically, make sure that your Standard Skin has the following Files:

Male_Basic (Or Male_Cape or Male_Belt or something to that effect)
Male_Basic_Refl
Male_Basic_Glow
Male_Basic_Lightmap (May also just be called Lightmap)

If you have a specific Mesh that you want to use as an example, that might be more helpful to you. As for the Feet below the ground issue, I'm sure I've read about it before, if I can, I'll try to find it again.

jackhartt1967

I have discovered that the source of the discoloration lies in a three pack of meshes I installed called darkurian_hunter. All three meshes work in the game but cause some of the other meshes to show up with pink details in the rumble room when they are all loaded together.   

So, I looked at the darkurian meshes in the character-tool add-on and they show up correctly, except for their teeth/mouths and claws, all of which show up pink on all three meshes.

Additionally, using the character-tool add-on I see that the effected meshes show up pink, but work in the game normally, unless paired with one of these darkurian meshes while the unaffected show up correctly.

So weird to me that meshes can effect each other this way.

At any rate, I was hoping for a simple fix. Starting to think their probably isn't.   

daglob

I know it has been suggested that you convert all FFv3R textures to .dds, and that is the simplest and really the best solution. There are some meshes that do not care if you have a mix of .tga and .dds skins (although I'm not sure if you can mix in the same folder; never tried it). Some meshes have to have all the skins be one or the other (but they still read both formats), and some work best with .dds. I've never made notes about which is which. Some meshes also seem to "borrow" missing textures in one folder from another skin (I've always assumed it was the standard), producing peculiar glowing and reflective spots. This is another reason to be sure that you have all the needed textures.

If it is a scope, you might have parts from meshes based on Male Basic, Female Basic, Female Longhair, Male Heavy, Male Cape... anything all mixed in together. I'm reasonably sure that you can make those scoped parts reference the same lightmap, but I've always found it easier to just include the other lightmaps. I think you are still missing a texture, but I don't know which one.

Cyber Burn

I'm actually not familiar with the "Darkurian_Hunter" Meshes. Do you have a Link to them? I'd like to check them out in NifSkope.

jackhartt1967

Hey CB, here is the link http://epimethee.webfactional.com/ff/naitvalis/

Some really cool stuff there. I'm having the same problem with the Outrage-mesh. Haven't tested the others, but it would be so cool if we could figure out a fix.

As far as the TGA to DDS format, I have no idea how to do that. I looked for the art/textures file, but I haven't found it. 

Thanks again for all you're help. 

Cyber Burn

:doh: Ok, I have those, I just didn't recognize the name. Naitvalis does some fantastic work, but just like Meshers and Skinners, NifSkopers have their own individual techniques as well. I made an adjustment to the (.Nif) Files to give them easier access to the Texture Files. Why don't you try these out, and let me know if this makes a difference.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n8saljau75vdfdy/Darkurian_Hunters_Edited.7z