Freedom Force Museum Advisory Board

Started by daglob, February 14, 2017, 08:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

That is a fancy title for a thread for suggestions as to what we need in the museum. There was a good deal of discussion in the FF Preservation thread, but the intention of that was to come up with a way to preserve that old stuff. Now, with the FF Museum, we have a means to save things.

But what do we save? Right now, Wyldfyre is posting skins from long-gone skinners, but what else?

We already have a Mod Graveyard for old mods, although it could use an update.

It has been suggested that we include base skins (posted at Yahoo, but perhaps in some danger), wireframes, and hex-edited meshes such as the ones posted at FXForce. The later because new members of the community haven't developed their Nifscope skills yet, the former I thought of recently when I lost access to them and Nifscope and can't just generate my own. And, I must admit, I would go to FXF to get a hex if I needed it rather than search through all these disks for it. In a way, this would be preserving the future as well as the past.

What other skinners and meshes no longer active should have their work saved? It would help if you had a good bit of their work to contribute, but suggest anyway; you never know who might have all that we need.

What about the content at IG? How likely re the Mod Tools and such to remain available?

Myself, I hope to see the work of Mandate there. I have two or three of his skins, and would like more (If they exist).

Cyber Burn

What about Shadowe (?), wasn't that who created the effects Meshes?

As for Wireframes, I may have a bunch on a disk somewhere, but I won't have time until the weekend to go through everything and check.

And I agree, I definitely think we should do something about the BaseSkins.

Deaths Jester

A guy named Andrew Davis did the original male_basic_effects and such meshes, CB...not sure if he went by another name or not.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Cyber Burn

:doh:  My bad. Guess that's what happens when you come to the party late, huh?

But in all seriousness, I had originally been told that the effects Meshes were "Game Changers", so to speak, my faux pas not withstanding, I would still suggest they be considered.

WyldFyre

Quote from: Deaths Jester on February 14, 2017, 10:12:22 PM
A guy named Andrew Davis did the original male_basic_effects and such meshes, CB...not sure if he went by another name or not.

Shadewe (I think that's right) did contribute some meshes or hexes (have to look at which). DJ beat me to the punch on Andrew Davis.

On another note. I have been going back over skins in my collection, and have discovered a few things I thought should be asked about.

1. Skins formerly hosted/created by Dark Jared at the Skindex. All skins I can attribute to that site have a "do not re-distribute" readme attached, even by artists such as Angry Red Herring or others. I know ARH has a yahoo group as well, so should we follow our protocol of not re-posting these works or if the works are available elsewhere, should we give them a place?

2. So far I have been concentrating on skinners who haven't been widely known by the newer community members. (Ace Frankly and Tommy Troy so far). I would like some suggestions on who you folks would like to see next. (I am concentrating on the  electric freedom folks since their works haven't been seen in a long time.

3. As far as meshes/hexes are concerned, what do you want to see hosted?

4. Where base skins are concerned, I have been thinking of this a bit. Most, I have archived. Some I don't think I even know about. And some I can't find (Dark Jared's comes to mind). I would like to set up a page for them as without the bases a lot of skinners would never have gotten a start.

5. I am plugging along with cataloguing my collection, plus what I have gotten from CB and DG and there are a LOT of unknowns. (I plan on eventually trying to post pics of skins without owners in the hopes of finding them.) I know there is a master mesh list and I have the Mega-List which has skins listed as well, but is there a Master skin list anywhere out there? That would be a big help.

Finally, a thank you to everyone who has expressed interest in this project. I am amazed at the amount of content which has been created for this game. And how much I have collected over the years. I hope I can do the creators proud by showing their work to the world again.

And as always, if you don't want your work posted, let me know and it won't be.
For Freedom!

Deaths Jester

The stuff from the Skindex had those notes in them because Marvel originally issued a cease and desist on them before making a deal that as long as it said to "not redistribute elsewhere". I would think that nowadays we would be safe to put them on the museum but I'm unsure.

As for a skin master list...if there is one, I don't know of it.

As for who? EF, NPI, Kraven's place, FF Underground, FXForce, Dragon Force, the big names from FF Center...those folks come to mind...there are others but that's a good start.

daglob

Cyber Burn

Another bout of insomnia had me going through files last night collecting BaseSkins. There were a lot of duplicate files that I need to weed through, but among what I found, was Dark Jared's Base.

Panther_Gunn

I will not hesitate to throw Paradox's name onto the list.  I think his stuff was originally on NPI, but I'm not sure.

Has Vigilante's stuff been re-hosted somewhere?

Ace*frankly had a lot of LSH stuff on the Skindex.  I don't think it has a current home, unless I'm mistaken (and the readme I have doesn't have a "do not re-distribute" blurb).

I remember *way* back in the day, like during the first year of the game, someone had posted skins for Archie Andrews, Nikolai Tesla, and a few other odd birds.  I almost wonder if we should have a "Curiosities" section with stuff like this back when there were no rules .... and we loved it!
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

daglob

I found a back door into Freedom Force Center from an archive of Andrew Davis' site. None of the links work, but there are things like Spiderphoenix and Spiderine, what looks like every Doctor Who, and a lot of characters that I've skinned and though hadn't been. Crazy stuff, but it looks like everyone was having fun. DJ is represented there with skin after skin after skin. There are lots of skins that are probably one-time-only, but there are familiar names, too.

Davis' site is still around, and also skinning the tutorial:

http://www.imaginationispower.com/images/game/tutorial/index.html

Vigilante's site is still up and running, too.

And I've got an Archie Andrews skin by Copper Age, but I've never seen Nokolai Tesla.

detourne_me

Guys. How about Gryphon's skins? He was easily one of the most influential skinners of that period, and with his site down and no yahoogroups (that i know of) doesn't he seem like prime museum material?
Im not sure about his thoughts on distribution, though.

daglob

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/gryphon_freedom_force1/info

Gryphon's Yahoo group is there, but I am not sure how safe everything is.

Gryphon is one who should definitely be preserved.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

Agreed.

Also, I went through a few of his "Read Me" files, and didn't see anything about his views on his Skins being redistributed.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: daglob on February 16, 2017, 12:33:44 PM

Davis' site is still around, and also skinning the tutorial:

http://www.imaginationispower.com/images/game/tutorial/index.html

I missed this before. Davis' Tutorial is in the Resources Yahoo Group. I had E-Mailed him for permission, and shown him the file before I uploaded it. There should be a Link to his Site on it as well.

WyldFyre

Working on Death Jester's old stuff as well as some others from EF. I was able to bring up FFcenter in the Wayback and can see a lot of the previews, but not all. As I get things up, I try to leave MIA tags where skins are missing. I know there are skins I don't know about though, Copper's stuff for instance. I have a lot of his skins, but I know there are some which I don't have/know about.

If anyone knows/has skins they don't see posted in the Museum, please, please let me know so I can show an MIA for them and maybe someone will be able to supply what's missing.

I can set up a page for Gryphon. I'll try to e-mail him and make sure it's okay.

@Cyber - In your base kskin search did you come across any by Mr Pantz? I know he did several bases.

@Panther - Check out Ace's skins in the museum. I *think* I got them all.

For Freedom!

Cyber Burn

For Mr Pantz, so far I have:

Male_Basic_Wings
Hero_With_Tail
Microwave
Lightmap Collection 1

But there may be more in my other Files, I'll have to check on that.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: WyldFyre on February 25, 2017, 06:45:16 PM
@Panther - Check out Ace's skins in the museum. I *think* I got them all.

You've got all of the ones that I have, plus a couple more.  I hadn't realized at the time that a good portion of LSH skins I have were actually Jared's.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

daglob

I'm wondering about some of the skins that seem to be from the Sknidex; at least it says so in the readme. Not all of them list the creator. I know I have several by Justin Pie...

WyldFyre

Yeah, Justin Pie, Justin Pierce, JustinTyme. I thin a lot that just say csn may actually be Dark Jared, but no way to know for sure. I am hesitant to post them without more definitive authorship.

I do have a lot that actually say Dark Jared, but again, at the time he specifically asked for them not to be re-distributed. So I'm not sure I want to cross that line.
For Freedom!

John Jr.

Count one more vote about preserve The Gryphon's work. He influenced generations of skinners (myself included) and the Yahoo Group don't have all of his skins, and it's not exactly "safe".

Cyber Burn

Are Zed and Dirk Thorazine one and the same?

WyldFyre

I am not sure. I did see a readme where it said aka Zed. But I don't know for sure. If anyone does, that would save me some time as I could add the zed skins to his gallery.
For Freedom!

daglob

I got some stuff from Captain Uncular's Unmazing Friends site, and there are a couple of skins from people I've never heard of. Maybe a "Solo" or "One Hit Wonder" Department?

WyldFyre

Yeah, figure the 1 or 2 crowd will get a combined gallery. I have come across a few of these already, just trying to get some of the larger galleries done first.
For Freedom!

WyldFyre

So. Looking at base skins. They were previewed differently on different sites. So the question is do we show the flat tga preview or preview the base on it's respective model?

And with regard to those still available online (strangefate, C6, et.al.) do we provide a site link instead of the files?

Thoughts/ideas welcome.

The request part. Does anyone have a list of all the Hexes which were hosted at FXforce? I have merged a lot of my files into creator folders and am not sure I have all of them.

Thanks and let me know what you think.
For Freedom!

Deaths Jester

For the bases, I say we put them on the meshes so that folks can see what it looks like.

As for the stuff still hosted...I don't know what to do with that.

daglob

Quote from: Deaths Jester on March 21, 2017, 03:20:04 PM
For the bases, I say we put them on the meshes so that folks can see what it looks like.

As for the stuff still hosted...I don't know what to do with that.

Yeah, that way newbies (and those oldies who haven't used a particular artist's base before) can get an idea of what they are dealing with. I know that is exactly what DJ said; I was just agreeing with him.

WyldFyre

That was my feeling as well. Of the bases still hosted, I know Strangefate's site is still up and Alex is hosting Courtnall's bases. I think the rest are no longer available unless in Yahoo groups.

Are there any others you know of still online?

And I have a male_basic anime style base that I don't know who authored. I think it may be Kommando (Resembles his base) but am not sure.
For Freedom!

Deaths Jester

There are a few on Heroforce under Tomato's stuff...and there should be a few base skins in the base skin yahoo group...aside from that...somewhere out there is Murs' and Gryphon's bases...as well as Valander's...just not sure where.  I've got Murs' if it's needed.