the rating

1 (10%)
1 (10%)
2 (20%)
5 (50%)
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

HarryTrotter

So yeah,that's a thing.And please,dont complain about spoilers.

Hydra logo and the googles are hard to like,so lets say a 3?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Ouflah

I have no idea what this is from (I don't read any modern comics) but honestly the suit looks really awesome. He bears little resemblence to ol' jelly belly Doc Ock, and I can't say I care for the name, but man... that suit is snazzy. It'll look really cool when he fights Spidey.

The suit reminds me of "The Fly" from the 60's Spidey cartoon, who had a pretty neat design.

Ock hasn't looked this good since his white-labcoat days.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

Tomato

Waiting to get home and actually read the comic before responding to the poll(plus I'm on my phone so can't see it well anyway), but i just wanna say, it's about time. I was so frustrated seeing Doc Ock in clone conspiracy. Don't get me wrong, classic costume is fine, but it ignores the growth he had as superior spider-man

Podmark

Debated between 4 and 5. Went with 4 but in a few months, once I've seen it more, I might change my mind.
Initial reaction is that it looks great - as a post Spider-Man Otto. As a Doctor Octopus outfit in general it doesn't look right - just isn't recognisable as Otto, mainly because of the mask.
Otherwise I love the colours and the design is a very nice mix of Superior Spider-Man, Doctor Octopus, and Hydra. Not completely sold on the exact goggles they gave him but I agree with Tomato - this is exactly the kind of look Ock needed right now.
Pretty positive on this development.

Quote from: Spade on March 14, 2017, 05:56:00 PM
And please,dont complain about spoilers.

Do you have a thing against spoiler tags? :huh: The issue isn't even out yet, and this hasn't been announced anywhere I've seen.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

spydermann93

I'm thinking that he just means revealing Doc Ock's new costume is a spoiler.

I never thought about Doc Ock leading Hydra, but with that costume, I could buy it. Looks pretty neat to me, and even the Hydra logo on his chest is modified ever so slightly to be more of an octopus (sleeker, octopus head rather than skull, more encompassing, thinner arms, etc), not that the Hydra logo wasn't octopus-like already.

I say 4!

Tomato

To be fair to Spade, I will note that while the image itself might be kind of a spoiler, the name and direction for the character really isn't. We knew Octavius had the "perfect clone" from the end of Clone Conspiracy (which came out several weeks ago), and we also knew that he's still been on his "I'm superior" tirade. The only thing that's KIND OF a spoiler is the Hydra thing, but tbh, that was a thing in Ultimate Spider-man like a year ago and is in no way surprising.

Podmark

I probably wouldn't have said anything if Spade hadn't drawn attention, just seems odd to acknowledge it a spoiler but not use a spoiler tag. I'd just ask where he found the image, unless he got the issue early?

I agree that it's not an overly surprising direction for Ock. I was expecting something like this. Seems like a good direction for him.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

HarryTrotter

Source: an online preview.
Well,if I said Costume rating:Spoiler that would have been confusing.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Kind of reminds me of The Squid when he first appeared...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Glitch Girl

I am torn on this one.

I really like the look of it.  As a Hydra operative, it's very sharp and works with the Hydra esthetic. 

As Doc Ock, except for the tentacles, I'm not seeing it.  then again I haven't been following Spider-Man that closely, and I hear he has (another) new body, so who knows. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BentonGrey

I chose the wrong option, as these are upside down from the way we've been doing it.  I meant to give this thing a 2, as I'm not really fond of it.  I've got no context to make me like it, and it seems uneven and more than a little boring.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Podmark

Quote from: Spade on March 15, 2017, 05:28:16 AM
Well,if I said Costume rating:Spoiler that would have been confusing.

Yeah that is a challenge with this kind of thread. :cool:

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 15, 2017, 05:58:34 PM
I chose the wrong option, as these are upside down from the way we've been doing it.  I meant to give this thing a 2, as I'm not really fond of it.  I've got no context to make me like it, and it seems uneven and more than a little boring.

I was thrown by the reverse numbering too  :lol: Had to think for a moment which was the right to pick.
This is definitely a costume where context makes a big difference. If I knew nothing I'd probably give a 3 or 2 for not invoking Doc Ock.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

spydermann93

Quote from: Podmark on March 15, 2017, 11:40:18 PM

I was thrown by the reverse numbering too  :lol: Had to think for a moment which was the right to pick.
This is definitely a costume where context makes a big difference. If I knew nothing I'd probably give a 3 or 2 for not invoking Doc Ock.

Look, Master Spade! Your plan is working, see? Yes yes. Soon all shall be 90's pouches once again! Brilliant!

Deaths Jester

Just as long as I don't have to wear that freaking "combat" tutu again!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

So I did end up giving it a 4, for many of the same reasons as Podmark. It's a decent blend of HYDRA, Doc Ock, and Superior Spider-Man elements (mostly the latter, which is why I'm not surprised Benton didn't care for it.) As someone who did enjoy the Superior SM books, I'm glad to see Ock move forward and build from what came before... That said, there's something missing in this design.

Edit: Also, for anyone expecting massive spoilers for this costume... Yeaaaaah, no. It shows up in a backup story in the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man, and the whole hydra thing just sorta happens.

HarryTrotter

@Spydermann Deadpool 2 is coming up and Spawn is in the works.Rob Liefeld and Akiva Goldman are bringing Extreme universe to the big screen.90s made a comeback without my help. :)
From lowest to highest seems a logical arrangment.And I used it before.So Im not sure why everyone got confused now.
Jon Farmer

Ouflah

Even though I've only heard the jist of the Superior Spider-Man and briefly looked at a collection while at the library, I would agree that if it had not been for that story arch I would probably very much dislike that they're making the Doc muscular. I know it felt really out of place when they did that in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics.

EDIT: As it is, it almost would feel out of place to have Ock go back to being his pudgy old self. If they did that it'd almost feel like just the typical "back to status quo now" thing they do in comics rather than developing the story moving forward. That said, I really don't know what has been happening in the Hydra storyline.
-Mike Exner III

HarryTrotter

Its an upcoming event where...everyone works for Hydra or something.Like Tomato said,its not really a major development.Zola just shows up and offers Otto a job.
You had a problem with the Ultimate design?I honestly havent heard that one before.
Jon Farmer

Ouflah

Really? I would have guessed other people also thought it didn't look right. We're both talking about this, right?
Spoiler
I mean the dude looks as big as Captain America.
-Mike Exner III

spydermann93

Ouflah

-Mike Exner III

Tomato

I like the DESIGN of Ultimate Otto, but yeah, he shouldn't have been that ripped. He was a scientist working at Oscorp, not a bodybuilder. I might buy that for him LATER ON (when he's more active) but not back then.

Quote from: Ouflah on March 16, 2017, 05:23:53 PM
EDIT: As it is, it almost would feel out of place to have Ock go back to being his pudgy old self. If they did that it'd almost feel like just the typical "back to status quo now" thing they do in comics rather than developing the story moving forward. That said, I really don't know what has been happening in the Hydra storyline.

You mean like it seemed they were doing when they cloned him in Clone Conspiracy, only to have the clone be pudgy (even though Otto had not been big for months/years prior to his death) and back in his classic costume? Because yeah, no, it totally was out of place and frustrating.

On a completely separate note, if I have one major, MAJOR complaint about the design of Otto after taking over the proto-clone, it's something you can't actually see in that costume... Otto's current haircut. For some reason, the artist drawing him in the backup story (Giuseppe Camuncoli) decided to give him Quentin Quire hair.

Spoiler

Ouflah

Yeah, that doesn't look good at all. With this design, I think it would have been a good idea to always have the mask on, Zemo-like. Have the mask be his face.
-Mike Exner III