News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Changing UV Mapping

Started by spydermann93, March 23, 2017, 03:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spydermann93

Hey guys,

Does anybody know how to alter the UV Mapping of a mesh? I'm working on one and the UV maps are a bit messed up in some areas.

daglob

Depends on how it is messed up. If you open it in Nifscope, and right click on the piece you want to work on, and select Texture>Edit UV. A window will open that shows the "wireframe" where the mesh maps to. You can "draw" a square around the whole piece and move it, or select individual vertexes and move them.

What piece are you trying to fix? I've come across a few with messed up mapping and already fixed them.

spydermann93

It's a mesh that I've been converting using one of RandomDays' tutorials, so the mesh came with it's own UV. The face doesn't have too many polys, but the UV map is completely off for the facial region.

daglob

Does it overlap something else?

spydermann93

It doesn't seem like it's overlapping anything, but rather, all of the vertices are clumped up in the wrong part of the mesh. Like say the texture was laid out like normal, but when you look at the UV of the face, all of the verties are in the bottom corner of the texture, causing the face to look completely off.

I can't post a pic right now, but I'll do so when I get home.

detourne_me

I just sent you a message about it,  but my wording might be a bit hard to follow since I'm pretty tired now.
What happened is that the texture file that the part of the mesh it is supposed to read from got redirected.

...umm, like this, for example
Let's say the face was reading from face.tga, and the body from body.tga
during the export from blender, face.tga got changed to body.tga and the UV map got shunted into the same map as the body,  making it pretty difficult to take apart in nifskope.
This happens when models have too many materials to export to .nif format.

spydermann93

That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the insight, you guys!