Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: Complaint about Simpsons  (Read 75 times)

Offline Spade

Complaint about Simpsons
« on: March 25, 2017, 04:09:10 PM »
Recently,almost by accident,I re-watched season 13 of Simpsons.We all know everything went downhill sometimes during season 9,and got worst and worst.But s13 is mostly just as mediocre as I remember it.EXCEPT one episode that's waaaaay worst then I remember it.So bad it motivated me to complain online about it,obviously.
She of little faith
First,Im something of an agnostic myself,so the representation of religion never really offends me or anything,but this is a special kind of stupid.
Anyway,in typical Simpsons fashion,Homer blows up the church,so they get Mr Burns to fix it,and he sell Ad space and all that.Lisa takes offense to commercialization of religion and leaves to find a new religion.Okay,this was actually done by two men,Mr Burns and Rev Lovejoy(who's just as appalled as Lisa),and the theology of the matter is never touched upon.
So after meeting Richard Gere,Lenny and Carl,Lisa converts to Buddhism.Again,theology is never touched upon,Buddhism is just that great and Lisa is right every step of the way.So the rest of the family tries to convert her back,shes preachy and condescending about it,bla,bla,bla...Till eventually she decides to tolerate their backward ways so she could have her Xmas presents.YES,after she spent 20 minutes complaining about commercialization of the church,she  converts back(partially?) so she could have her funting presents.
And ofc,SHES RIGHT.SHES doing THEM a favour.LISA is the tolerant one here.Not that anyone expected a deep message here,but Grud,this was stupid on so many levers.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline BWPS

• Poke!
  • Poke!
Re: Complaint about Simpsons
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »
It's a good commentary on cultural Christianity. It's a Simpsons episode, not a sermon. I mean everyone in America and Europe celebrates Christmas even if they're not 100% covered by the blood of the lamb or whatever. And church is super commercialized. It's laughing at that, and Buddhism, and Richard Gere without just outright telling you how to feel about any of it. If you prefer a show that just preaches non-stop, go watch South Park.

That said, while I remember the episode from when it aired. I don't remember if it was actually funny, and it may just suck because of disappointing writing, as the show couldn't possibly keep up with how brilliant it was from seasons 2-8ish.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Offline Spade

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »
Again,my problem is with Lisa,not religion.After 20 minutes of rejecting material goods she still ends up going back because she wanted her presents.And that isnt satire,thats Lisa doing everyone else a favor.
Its just generally a collection of almost all the worst Simpsons tropes.Lisa being a creator mouthpiece,pointless guest stars etc,etc...
Jon Farmer

Offline BWPS

• Poke!
  • Poke!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
Ok, I can see that. Lisa flanderized into the only regular straight man and I think that was a great decision that makes her one of the most important characters. Sometimes they try to write her as something else, kind of like a season 4+ Brian Griffin (obviously that's backwards, since Lisa inspired Brian) which is really annoying. She's not really meant to be the voice of reason in this episode, I don't think. You're probably correct it wasn't well written, but I don't think it's the worst episode ever.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Offline Spade

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
...but I don't think it's the worst episode ever.
I agree with that.Season 12 had the infamous Homer vs Dignity.
Jon Farmer