News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Outta Comission

Started by Deaths Jester, April 01, 2017, 03:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaths Jester

Boy, these comp probs seem to be hitting everyone. Yep, I got hit. Doing a case and psu swap and when I went to power up...nada. Not sure if the board is fried or what. I seem to remember having this prob with this mobo before and it having to do with the manual showing the wrong hook ups for the front panel but am unsure at moment. So yeah, no new stuff till I find out what's wrong and fix it.

Yay...tinkering time. :-(
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Deaths Jester

Looking more and more like a dead mobo...just what I didn't need.

daglob

You, me, CB...

I feel for you.

Deaths Jester

It's the mobo...so Monday I'm going to spend my time at work wandering my comp part sites and see what's available in mobos and chipsets that I can afford and have the ports that I need.

Deaths Jester

Looks like I'll be out of comission for two weeks, what with the mobo done for and having to get a new one which means new ram and chipset...and finding a mobo with at least one IDE hookup and one regular PCI slot.

Cyber Burn

That's a bummer DJ, hope you didn't lose much.

spydermann93

That friggin sucks.

At least all of your stuff should still be safe on the hard-drives, right? I think this is just an expensive inconvenience in the long run, but I think it won't be any trouble getting back in the groove once you get your Mother Board up and running.

Deaths Jester

Didn't lose anything but money and everything on my HDs are safe. My big problem right now is finding a mobo that supports IDE HDs. Seems the industry has decided to not support IDEs on the current selection of mobos...everything is SATA support only.

Deaths Jester

Damn this mobo replacement is going to be bloody expensive! Aside from a mobo and chipset I'm going to have to get new RAM (mine are ddr 3 and are now unsupported) and an adaptor card so that I can use my IDE drives with a SATA mobo. Going to be almost $800 to get everything (not counting a sound card cause I'll use the built-in on this time around). Only good thing is I can save my graphic card, hdd drives, and dvdrw drive...though I'll probably need to replace the hdds once I back all the needed stuff on dvds and a portable backup drive...which also means a new operating sys...this just sucks!

Cyber Burn

Aw, Man DJ! That hurts. Almost be cheaper to go buy a throwaway laptop.

Deaths Jester

I would, CB, but all my stuff and all my customized progs arb on those drives and I love having a tower humming in my house. If not for that, I'd consider it.

crimsonquill

I feel your pain. I lost a lot of work in progress and stuff I didn't have backed up on a minidrive I keep a mirror of my Mod stuff on after losing everything during a harddrive crash. Still sucks losing months of work but I couldn't imagine losing everything FF/FFvsT3R related after years of collecting stuff.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

BentonGrey

Ohh man, I'm so sorry DJ!  I'm glad that it can be fixed, but that's a big burden.  I hope that you have as easy a time as possible getting back up and running.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Deaths Jester

We'll see...the parts arrive tomorrow, so I've at least got a weekend to tinker.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Deaths Jester

See SA's kablooey thread in General Discuss for recent tribulations.

SickAlice

I feel your pain. I'm on pc number #6 right now though of course keeping a few parts from previous ones. And that legacy stuff. Right now I'm waiting on a converter from China because SD cards all went HC which means none of the existing readers can read cards anymore. To date I still haven't replaced the rom drive and am just operating without one, speaking of stuff that costs a pretty penny nor have a fixed my printer. You'll get there though friend, you show a good working knowledge of fixing pc's. Any help I can give like I said. I'll take a look at what you've wrote and check my contacts later. I refurbish computers for others so I have a lot of hook-ups for parts.