When your hard drive goes kapootskie....

Started by SickAlice, April 01, 2017, 06:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

I knew was there was something I didn't like about malware.  :banghead:
Factory reset done and everything is gone-baby-gone. Going to take a bit to rebuild.  :thumbdown:

daglob

Sooo... you, me, CB and DJ.

I wonder if it's contagious...

Deaths Jester

Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Epimethee

FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

spydermann93

I hate people who create viruses with a burning passion. :angry:

I put them right below murderers and just above thieves on my list of hated people.

SickAlice

Weird is it sounds but I'm partly glad it happened as well that it happened before. As of factory resetting I'm downgraded from 10 to 8.1 again and honestly 10 has too many security exploits at this stage anyways. 8.1 still has things like safe mode which I can save my pc with as well my HP came with an antivirus program I lost in the upgrade. Also due to a previous laptop failing I bought a hard drive to usb converter for about thirty bucks and it's earned it's keep. In fact I suggest anyone get one. In the event of hard drive crash now I can still recover most of my stuff from the old laptops drive and get up and running faster. Or in the event of a physical failure, like the monitor or even motherboard frags I can save the hard drive from this one to a new laptop. So no worries in the long run. Mainly made this thread to note there will be a lapse in me meeting my requests. As of today I have all my programs back on the pc now and by tomorrow will have my work files set up again. Also a thread then for anyone else to come in and we can hold a wake for the next pc that passes onto the digital afterlife. Because it's bound to happen. I may be growing cynical but I swear they make this stuff with a shelf life and even perhaps a kill switch to keep us spending money.

SickAlice

Real close to being active again. I just need to go through all the pages on my site and reassign the links in my web design program then I should be able to start uploading again.

Deaths Jester

Well, I've got my parts to start rebuilding on my end...won't get to really run everything through it's paces though until this weekend...so fingers crossed...

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

SickAlice

Thanks Benton, won't need it though. Everything's smooth now. It's just a matter of doing all the tedious stuff to get my site editable again and my workfiles set-up.
*edit: nvmd. I upgraded to the Adobe suite and it comes with Dreamweaver so I can just work with the html as is.

Good luck to you too DJ, if you need any help feel free to ask. I fix peoples computers and stuff, both the virtual and physical ends and have a bit of knowhow if you need it.

Deaths Jester

Thanks, SA, but I should be good - been building and upgrading my comps for ages now. Only thing I'm worried with is how the legacy components and the new current top-notch stuff will react to each other.

SickAlice

Cool, and again g'luck and hope it comes together sooner than later. Just got everything fully operational here about five minutes. *wipes forehead*

Deaths Jester

<bangs head against nearest concrete wall>

Well, my computer starts which is better than before. But guess what? The minute it hits WinXp load screen, it restarts. Am guessing that some of the new stuff (all 1100 dollars worth) dislikes some of my older stuff along with my OS. So, spending more $...now on a new OS and a new hdd (because I WANT/NEED to keep as much as possible from my IDE drive including my FF stuff). So I'm out of comission until further notice.

BentonGrey

Urg, that is just ugly, DJ!  I had problems when I updated hardware and not software, but it wasn't that bad.  Sounds terrible!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

daglob

If possible you might could get someone with the equipment to transfer the IDE drive to SATA. I had to bite the bullet two HD ago.

Deaths Jester

I've got the equipment to do that, DG, I just need a new drive and OS that is happy with my comp to due that...thus more $ spent. At this point, I just as well toss a graphic card and new dvdrw at it...really strain my bank account...

Panther_Gunn

DJ, if I had known you were still wanting to run XP I would have offered to send you one of our old XP machines that are just going to end up in e-cycle.  I'd much rather see working hardware used until it dies, but there's nothing we can do with them anymore.  I cannibalized what I could to upgrade 9 of them to Windows 7 a couple years ago, but I've still got like a dozen left, and that's not counting the dozen or so of the lesser machines that went to e-cycle already.

If you want to try some of the hardware I've still got, let me know and I'll see what the specs are.

p.s.:  check the BIOS to see if there's a setting that's trying to boot into the OS too fast for XP to handle.  I know there's a setting change between Win 7 & 10 that causes 7 to not work right, either.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Deaths Jester

Going to have to check that boot speed, hadn't even considered that at all, PG. Hopefully that is it and it will give me the time to back up the drives. Still going to have to upgrade the os in the future...prob win7...

Deaths Jester

...and boot speed changing didn't help but thanks, PG, I had forgotten you could change boot speed in BIOS. Just going to have to bite the bullet and get a new OS...probably Win 7 if I can get it. I'm not going to get 10 because of my lack of internet...but I can still get service packs for 7, just got to find it...and hopefully 64-bit so I can use all my new ram...<sigh>

Deaths Jester

Well I've decided to go ahead and replace the remaining legacy parts left in my comp. I just as well, what with needing a new OS and not wanting to lose anything on the hdds I have. So say adios to that Samsung 16x DVD burner, two IDE hdds (after I get the stuff I want off), Win Xp, and the old Radeon HD 5770 gpu too.

At least when I'm done I'll be at the "current" edge of tech...maybe. Already installed an I7-7700 core onto an Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero mobo with 16 gbs of Corsair Vengence 3200 mhz ram into my new Corsair R220 case with an Antec HCG Red 620watt psu. So, now just got to decide how to finish it out and how much money it will eat. :-(

BentonGrey

It was a sad, sad day when I said goodbye to XP.  It sounds like you'll have a nice system when all is said and done, DJ.
God Bless

Deaths Jester

Update: If I can get everything I'm looking at (a Samsung 850 Evo 250 gb ssd, an oem win 7 os, an Asus ROG Strix Radeon Rx 480 gpu, an Asus 24x dvdrw rom, and a wd black 1tb hdd) then I'll be up by the beginning of next week. It's sad, though, that all my upgrades up till this on were always $600 each time but this one is going to end up being $1700. What happenet to all that, "Computer parts aqe getting cheaper"?

EDIT: Might be another week or two till I get fully up and running, the Samsung SDD is going to take a week to get to me..or at least that's what the place I bought it from is saying.

Deaths Jester

DAMN IT!!! Will be down till May sometime because the main os drive won't ship until may 2....rrrrrrr....

daglob

Deaths Jester

Only green I can do is gangrene...still, they said they had it in stock and could ship it to me for tomorrow. Now they tell me that it won't ship till May 2 when they get it in stock.

SickAlice

:thumbdown:
Waiting on an SDHC card reader here to finish some work, bought it mid-March after the one from Feb got lost in transit.
This won't be here until then either from Hong Kong. Overseas shipping must be a mess right now or sumthin'.
I feel your agony.

Deaths Jester

A lot of the ships coming out of China have been sinking as of late. It's mostly due to poor maintainance of said ships but also poor weather. That has caused some of the delays but also the current US administration's...words...have caused some problems...

Deaths Jester

Well, all my parts finally got here and assembled - you'd think I was home free from here out. Wrong! For some reason the comp won't boot from the dvd drive so I can format and install an os on it (neither my xp or win7 discs). I'm considering putting my old dvd drive back in and trying it then. Also considering dling an official (seeing as I've got the keys) iso image from Microsoft onto a thumb drive and installing it that way.

So...still tinkering. >.<

Deaths Jester

Alrighty, put my old dvd drive (which is cantankerous with dvds) and after a few times of spinning up and down, it finally recognized the dvd!!  So Win 7 is now installed!  I still got a few days worth of loading drivers and tweaking things to get the computer to something I can consider stable before trying to pass files from the IDEs to the new drives..but I'm getting closer.  Also need to order a new keyboard and mouse it seems....the ones I have are extremely sluggish on win 7....time to break out the wallet and buy some more top of the line gear...yay.....

At least my computer is starting to awaken from it's slumber!!!

Epimethee

FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com