Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: Thor: Ragnarok  (Read 199 times)

Offline Glitch Girl

• ERROR: Title not found
  • Titans
  • If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.
Thor: Ragnarok
« on: April 10, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
Trailer dropped today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU

It looks surprisingly fun.  Plus excellent choice in music.

Best bit starts at the 1:20 mark:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:11:15 PM by Glitch Girl »
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because itís the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
Re: Thor: Ragnarok
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »
I'm entirely onboard.  They're making choices I wouldn't have made, but it certainly looks interesting and entertaining.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline dudalb

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:50:10 PM »
I was really curious to see what Cate Blanchett looked like as Hel. I was not disappointed.
I gotta love them using Led Zepplins "Immigrant Song" as the background music for the trailer.

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »
Really?... reminds me of The Viking Kittens from Rathergood:  http://rathergood.com/2016/04/05/viking-kittens/  (blocked in some countries due to copyrights. I have an old versoin that plays on my Flash animation program).

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 10:19:32 PM »
I LOVE IT!!!

CAN'T WAIT!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Starman

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »
It just looks like "Guardians of the Galaxy".

I don't think Marvel have any idea how to "fix" Thor's films so they are trying to slot him into a formula that might yield some financial and fan success and chucking in Hulk (... and some of the wildly cool "Planet Hulk" comic) and a ton of overqualified actors for good measure.

Hopefully, director Taika David Waititi was allowed to inject some of his style into this film ... although Marvel has a poor track record in that regard.

I'm both a Thor fan and a film fan from way back and, yeah ... beyond the shallow, marketable aspects, this trailer leaves me cold.

Offline crimsonquill

• Sound Master
  • One Voice To Rule Them All
    • CrimsonQuill Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
It just looks like "Guardians of the Galaxy".

I don't think Marvel have any idea how to "fix" Thor's films so they are trying to slot him into a formula that might yield some financial and fan success and chucking in Hulk (... and some of the wildly cool "Planet Hulk" comic) and a ton of overqualified actors for good measure.

I'm really thinking that Kevin Feige just decided that Hulk/Thor just fit better into an alien environment where they are not overpowered compared to everyone else. Really, Hulk and Thor would have ended Civil War in a 5 minute battle and Feige already knew that Guardians Of The Galaxy had that fun energy that none of the previous directors in their own respective films (Incredible Hulk and Thor 1 & 2) could get a handle on. On top of that Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo both have a natural sense of comedic timing which Taka loves using to his advantage. Marvel also removed the "these are for non-comic fans" leash that Phase One and Two had which now allows them to fully drop Ego The Living Planet, having a Planet Hulk Gladiator battle, Hela going full on Ragnarok on Asgard while destroying Thor's hammer, and even bringing in Thanos's Black Order before bringing everyone in the MCU together in a Battle Royale.

Everything in the MCU is a market machine but that's what Feige has done brilliantly.. bring that EPIC COMIC WORLD to the big screen even if it's not a direct adaptation of the comics themselves. Don't forget Stan Lee is a fantastic writer but he was THE COMIC MARKET MACHINE. He knew that bringing the over the top and having hundreds of heroes wedged into New York City would pay off huge even if it would eventually make an phone book size level of storylines and crossovers and a continuity that would need a masters degree to understand. It's just the hazard of bringing a huge world and adapting everything from one medium to another.

Oh, One more thing.. I love that "everyone"  is waving their arms about the super overcoloring and the wild set designs and making everything looks like something out of the '60s and '70s pop design. That it's all part of Marvel Studios and Feige embracing the designs of Jack "The King" Kirby and when DC's movieverse is all about the dark tones (NO, don't tell me Suicide Squad was supposed to be all colorful from the start. That's was their reaction to the style of Guardians Of The Galaxy because it just visually worked better then the style of Batman vs Superman) Marvel is just embracing that style in their "space and other realms" films to make it feel even more alien and surreal.

- CQ
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:21:56 PM by crimsonquill »
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Offline SickAlice

• Virtual prophet and aspiring beet farmer
  • bing cherry
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 03:25:44 AM »
I try not to jump the gun but a few things already that are appealing to me:
- The cast seems to be having a lot of fun doing this one and that usually makes for a better final product as it is with any workplace or team en-devour.
- Worked in Gladiator Hulk in live action, I'll take however I can.
- It seems this movie won't be focusing on Jane's hipster friends nor naked father and what's more they don't seem to be in it at all. That was the big downside of the second film for me (the extended focus on them that is) so my hopes are up.
- I have a thing for Jeff Goldblum and can watch anything he's in just to see him in it.
- I also thing for Hela.
- Pretty much already has a lot of strong selling points for me already, may see it on the big screen though probably at the cheap seats later since there's other films eating up my bank account this year.

Offline kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 05:24:51 AM »
- I have a thing for Jeff Goldblum and can watch anything he's in just to see him in it.

Well, uh, different strokes for, uh, different folks. I just, uh, c-c-can't really see the, uh, attraction in a guy, uh, who keeps on s-s-stuttering every, uh, f-f-five seconds or so. But maybe that's just me. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline SickAlice

• Virtual prophet and aspiring beet farmer
  • bing cherry
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »
Stuttering is cute. Not an attraction though with him, just a fascination and appreciation for his style and method. I have a few actors and actresses like that, like John Malchovich for example. I see them as actors with great talent that either get the opportunity to show off otherwise at least make a fun appearance. Malchovich for me was due to Making Mister Right and Goldblum from first seeing his performance in The Fly, next in Earth Girls Are Easy.

Plus of course that glee in seeing the elements for the Infinity Gauntlet story being set. We have now the gems, the glove, Thanos, Nebula, Dr.Strange, The Collector, The Grandmaster and as of GOTG2
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to name some of the essential playing pieces. I'm wondering if we will see Champion in Thor3? Cena? Who  is the Grandmaster competing against? Can't wait to find out. Going a little off track but trying to guess who is going to fill in for the missing characters. Going by the screen shots for Avengers Infinity War I'm think Star-Lord takes place as the messenger instead of the Silver Surfer and Loki takes Mephisto's place as the trickster (I mean naturally so).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:36:10 PM by SickAlice »