News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

How to fix dark meshes.

Started by John Jr., April 15, 2017, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Jr.

Guys, how I can fix a mesh that looks to dark on FFvTTR? I know EZ Nifconverter can do it, but it's possible to  manually adjust the lighting with Nifskope?

Cyber Burn

In NifSkope, for whichever part of the Mesh that you are trying to brighten, look under the "Editable Mesh", and look at the "NiMaterialProperty". Click on that, and then go to your "Block Details". You'll see:

Ambient Color
Diffuse Color
Specular Color
Emissive Color

You'll see a Color Wheel followed by a # and a string of 6 Numbers/Letters. If those read "#ffffff" then that's as bright as it will go (I think). If it's not, click on those Numbers/Letters, and change them all to "1.000". There may be other ways to do this, but this is how I've done it in the past.

daglob

When I click on the palette emblem in the block with the NiMaterialProperty label, I get a set of adjustable color wheels, and you can set the four colors by hand. This takes a little practice, and I freely admit that I really need more (Always, but always back up the mesh before you play with this-end of personal peace of mind statement). There are two adjustments that I can see on each wheel: a circle in the wheel itself and a circle in the triangle that is within the wheel. Where the circles are makes a difference in the colors or brightness of the mesh. There are also sliders to affect the Alpha and Glossiness.

The most success I've had is to change the color of an "aura" on one of the Male Basic Aura meshes.

John Jr.

Thanks to both of you, I'll try it.

spydermann93

As per DM's suggestion, sliding the dot on the top two triangles to maximum brightness and the bottom two to maximum darkness usually yields in a good balance of shading.

Cyber Burn

I probably should have asked earlier, is this for a regular Mesh? Or one that has been imported from Blender?

daglob

I just tried my idea on an import, and while I could make it  completely black, I couldn't lighten it at all.

Which mesh is it; Atomic Robot gets the colors of some of his skins to look really bright by duplicating them as the glow texture.

Cyber Burn

I found my Notes on this. These are what the standard numbers usually look like, if you want to go that route, then you can just adjust from there.

Male_Basic's "NiMaterialProperty" for FF1:

Ambient Color:        0.502   0.502   0.502      #808080

Diffuse Color:          1.000   1.000   1.000      #ffffff

Specular Color:      0.900   0.900   0.900      #e5e5e5

Emissive Color:      0.000   0.000   0.000      #000000      

Male_Basic's "NiMaterialProperty" for FF2:

Ambient Color:        1.000   1.000   1.000      #ffffff

Diffuse Color:          1.000   1.000   1.000      #ffffff

Specular Color:      0.900   0.900   0.900      #e5e5e5

Emissive Color:      0.235   0.235   0.235      #3b3b3b

John Jr.

Thanks, guys.
It was an imported mesh, DM's Captain America, but looks like it's not the mesh, because only the "Winter Soldier" skin looks dark in the game. When I tested it with the "Age of Ultron" skin it looked better.
I have to say I don't have the slightest idea why this is happening.

Cyber Burn

I haven't had time to try it out yet, but how does it look in CTool?

Also, since it's an imported Mesh, is it completely Black? If so, take a look at my "Blender for Dummies" thread, a few posts down. There's a possible solution near the end of the thread.

detourne_me

I think it's just a really dark skin. I just checked him out in game and there are no lighting differences, it's just a darker skin.  Maybe you could open it up in gimp or photoshop and adjust the levels to your liking.

John Jr.

I'll try it, DM. Thanks for the tip.

SickAlice

:ffvstr: are generally set lighter than  :ff:. The easy peasy is to convert them with the program at alexsff. Even if they don't need it just check the lighten values box and it will take care of everything for you. Another is add a specular channel, most  :ffvstr: nifs are supposed to have them. Last and I had this issue with everything on my last PC is both FF games are finicky when it comes to graphics cards. In my case the fix was to make a copy of standard and never use the original standard in game. For reasons I guess I never researched enough using any alternate directory would both ramp up the lighting as well sharpen the details.