News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 123: Rebirth Superboy

Started by Podmark, April 30, 2017, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Rebirth Superboy's look?

Love
Meh
Dislike
Hate

Podmark

We've done some classic X-Men, now I think we need to tackle some more DC. I thought I'd do some Rebirth designs. It's been enough time for them to sink in. I'll start with Jonathan Kent aka Superboy:

Some background: Jon is the son of the Post-Crisis Lois and Clark. He first appeared in the Convergence event, and when it was over it was revealed that this Post-Crisis family had been transferred to the New 52 universe 10 years earlier than the present, living in secret. When the New 52 Superman died last year, the Post-Crisis Clark adopted the role. Shortly later, his 10 year old son developed super powers and became the new Superboy. He teams up with Robin a lot.

Then Rebirth did some crazy reality meddling and the two Supermen were merged together and their histories combined so that there was only ever one. It's very convoluted from what I've seen.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

detourne_me

I really love the look of the jeans and cape, but im not a fan of the red on the shirt. It mixes with the cape and bleeds into his icon too much... but im sure it would grow on me to come to love it.

BentonGrey

2: Pick an aesthetic and stick with it.  You've got two different costumes going on.  On top it's more traditional superhero, on the bottom, ripped jeans.  It doesn't work.  I also agree with DM, that the red bleeding into his symbol isn't good. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Meh. Just... it's not bad, but I agree with Benton about it having clashing styles and just not being very good.

Glitch Girl

Actually I like it because it really looks like a kid would put this together.  He's got his official Superman jacket (with cape, these things exist now remember), his favorite jeans, and his sneakers (though the lack of socks drive me and probably his mom crazy). 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Ouflah

Ditto what Benton said. Also, what's with the rolled up sleeves?
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

Cyber Burn

"Dislike".   But borderline "Hate".

I agree that the Red overflows the Logo. And Benton hit spot on with the contradictions in styles, plus the shirt is just way too busy.

I'm sorry, but this looks more like the Son of Bizarro than the Son of Superman.

Deaths Jester

Hate it...looks way too much like a tiny child (kindergartener age) was dressed up by his mother to play.  Ugh...ly!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Podmark

I picked Like. But it's all about context. I agree completely with Glitch Girl (even about the socks). If Superman was wearing this I doubt I'd like it as much.
I actually really like the way the logo is cut out of the red. Gives the design a unique look.

I know I said we'd do some Rebirth designs but we'll come back to that. Been inspired by a little movie that just came out.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

daglob

I don't like it, but I'm against the whole "street clothes as super-suits" anyway. Super heroes are supposed to be colorful and dynamic, not look like they forgot to do laundry this week and have to fight crime in jeans and an old T shirt or in their skivvies.

Same feeling applies to Doctors Strange and Fate these days.