News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

A New Engine chat

Started by SickAlice, May 01, 2017, 08:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimethee

Quote from: Deaths Jester on May 14, 2017, 11:08:56 PM
I'd avoid VR because the tech is very new, there isn't a definete code language that works with all VR components (some games only work with Rift, ect), and the cost of it makes it a niche group of gamers right now. As for web-based, with the current rash of viral breakouts I'm a bit hesitant of going that route. I think Windows, Mac, and Linux or Mobile are our best moves.
I wasn't quite serious (as a Canadian, I really should have mentioned Blackberry instead). It'd be nice to do, but it's a completely different ballgame, and currently a rather costly one.

Quote from: Deaths Jester on May 15, 2017, 12:14:25 AM
One thing we have to really worry with is the fact Irrational still owns the rights to FF. If we go thru with this, we could end up with legal problems...or something. Just being safe on this...
Excellent point. In fact, since Irrational doesn't exist anymore at all, I don't think we'd get much leniency at all from the IP owners, 2K, and its lawyer department.

As importantly, creator respect is clearly one of FR's pillars; doing a complete ripoff of the game which made this very community possible would be quite the betrayal.

Of course, this shouldn't prevent someone from modding this hypothetical new game into an homage to FF.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Deaths Jester

Actually, Emp, Irrational does exist, they returned a few years ago with the most recent Bioshock game. From what I've read, the group still holds FF's rights, not 2K. That could've changed but I'm unsure.

Irrational reformed under the name Ghost Story or some such. I need to hit some of my buddies to make sure who owns FF rights for sure.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Most consider Irrational dissolved.  The vast majority of the studio was laid off with just a handful of people left.  It is arguable if you can call the few people left the same studio or not.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Epimethee

Sorry for spamming this thread...

I didn't want to give my take on the points I put forward right away to avoid influencing our reflection too much. Still, that doesn't mean I get to avoid the exercise, does it? :unsure:

1. What is our main design goal?
a) To reproduce the FF gameplay and to be able to reuse existing assets
b) To take inspiration from the real-time action aspect of FF
c) To take inspiration from the tactical RPG aspect of FF
d) All of the above
e) None of the above
c), as it's more to my interests and because doing a) or b) would probably be way more difficult. However, thinking about it further, thanks to the previous replies, I guess starting small and modular should change our initial focus to a character viewer/editor (and, say, plug in a second character and a basic dialog system and a basic dice-based "combat" and you've got a full, if limited game).

Quote2. How can we achieve it?
a) By using a low tech approach to leverage our existing capabilities and to attract new collaborators more easily.
b) By using a higher tech approach, developing new skills and by trying to attract fewer but more qualified collaborators.
I wouldn't bet the project development on attracting hypothetical collaborators. Still, the underlying question is the one of tools... Can we find something both easy enough and offering high enough quality/production value?

Quote3.What is the main benefit each of us intend to retire from this project?
a) To get to play an enjoyable game
b) To learn new skills transferable to future endeavors
c) To do something together
d) Something else
b), especially if we were to use web technologies.

Quote4. What is our design philosophy?
Ex.: Encourage creativity, learning, sharing and fun
Encourage creativity, learning, sharing and fun ;)

Quote5. How is that philosophy expressed?
- Very easily moddable
- As completely moddable as possible
Very easily moddable, rather than more completely but in a more complex way.

Quote6. Who can contribute what?
The most critical aspect. For example, if nobody can code, the development platform and the project scope need to reflect this.
- Skills
- Time
- Collaboration experience
- Other resources (If someone has a few millions lying around, we could maybe hire some coders.) ;)
- Skills : Good at interface design (been doing it for a living for almost 20 years for the web and mobile, specializing mostly on UX, i.e., structure and behaviour). Some limited coding experience, mostly with Python and HTML/CSS/JS. Some 2D illustration experience, but it's been a loooong while. Some project management experience, even if I don't enjoy it. Some plot writing experience. A little (very little) level-editing expertise. No meshing, character animation, English-language speech (I have an accent), music composing or sound design chops.

- Time : Here lies the rub (as for many of us). Basically part of the weekend only, so on average, 3-8 hours a week.

- Collaboration experience : I'm working within teams (sometimes leading part of it) on web/mobile design, mostly in person, but sometimes remotely. Also collaborating on a couple novels.

- Other resources : Hmm... I guess that if things were to go very well, I could find some gaming professionals, as I'm in Montréal (for ex., one of our former art directors took a job with the local Unity 3D office).

Quote7. What kind of licence would the project have?
a) open source (easier to attract collaborators; free access to lot of resources)
b) closed source (easier to monetize to attract and retain pro collaborators; paid access to some unique resources)
I vastly prefer open source, but the tools might dictate what licence we need to take anyway.

Quote8. Which platforms do we want to serve?
a) Windows
b) Mac
c) iOS
d) Android
e) Consoles
f) VR/AR
g) Anything that can run a Web browser
h) Board game
i) Direct brain interface
j) Something else! How could you have omitted [...]
Mac first, as that's what I'm using. Windows, as that's what most of us here (and the world over) use. The web, because that's what I work with every day, know best and because it's the platform of the present and the future. iOS/Android would be nice to have, but could be served with web tech. Board games, only in conjunction with mobile. Don't care about consoles, and it's about impossible for amateur devs.

Quote9.What are the potential development platforms?
a) Vendor solution (Unity 3D)
- Unified out-of-the-box solution
- Professional quality
- Professional difficulty
- Limited transferable skills
b) HTML-based solution
- Different unmatched parts, harder to integrate
- More limited sophistication
- Easier to get involved -Very transferable skills
c) Modding an existing project
- Easiest entry
- Very limited scope
- Extremely limited transferable skills
I've looked into this a bit more since. On the vendor-solution front, Unity 3D does seem like the best solution, as competitors are either too platform-centric (Apple's Gamekit, for ex.), too limited (Game Maker), too much high-end (Unreal) or lack sufficient support and documentation (Godot).

On the HTML front, things are evolving at an amazing pace, and things unthinkable two years ago are now practical: The Babylon.js gaming framework, for example, allows to import 3D models and offers native-quality renderings. However 3D HTML game development isn't mature enough at this point, given our lack of expertise.

So, I've gone back to Unity, and kicked its tires a bit. While I'm not loving it (...yet?), it certainly looks solid and well-documented and supports a rich ecosystem. It remains to be seen how hard making something other than a basic demo is, and how much flexibility it offers, but it's probably our best bet!

Quote10.How would we work together?
It of course depends on the development platform and whether this would be open source or not. But free cloud-based solutions are now the norm, which is all kinds of amazing. How much better things would have been had we had this when working on FFX!
My suggestions: Adopt a clear decision process, define together clear and easy goals, standardize the way we deliver content where absolutely necessary and adopt a few web-based tools. For sharing assets and code, GitHub (if open source, otherwise BitBucket). For documents, Google docs. For discussion, Slack.

Quote11. What would be the timeline?
1. Define the project objectives
2. Identify the main initial collaborators and their roles
3. Define the basic concept
4. Deliver a quick proof of concept
5. Do a lot of work...
The above was probably too much dictated by my professional experience, where I have a good idea of what can and can't be done and of how much effort it'll take. This isn't the case here. New suggested approach:

1. If the Unity 3D solution seems viable, spend time doing the tutorials, reading a few docs and playing around. [Edit: That what I'm doing for the net month.]

2. Based on the tips of https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/developer-advice/how-start-your-game-development we should probably do some throwaway game first to get it out of the system.

3. Define the basic concept of the minimal viable product. This could be thought as modular: For example, the first module could be a character viewer/editor, the second the tactical view, the third the strategic/base view, the fourth multiplayer, the fifth solving cancer, etc.

4. Deliver the minimum viable product.

5. Congrat ourselves!

6. Turn that minimum viable product into a minimum lovable product.

7. Sleep.

8. Start a new project/module.

bearded

My experience with unity 3d was rewarding, it was just too hard to go alone. The things I learned; you can use the nif files, animations and all, but they take some converting, it's not an automatic fit. With unity's updates, they would still work, but would fall under the legacy format. And it takes 3ds max to convert properly.

I managed to eek out a playable demo with beast and marvel girl, using ff style pause tactics. I did have some paid for tools helping me, and I still have them. I'd have to check the licensing, but I'm sure I could share what I have. I still have all the tools, but I don't think I can find that exact demo I made. I will look this week.

I feel I got the gameplay about right, does anyone remember it? the big bad was a large sentinel. Where I got really bogged down, working alone, was in character creation. I was trying to fit open creation in from the start. FF didn't even do that!

If you get to the point you want to hand out tasks, I can convert nif files, be happy to do it.

SickAlice

I agree it will be but have faith in the people here to learn and rapidly. Take Nifskope and editing keyframe animations on a coding/string scale. A few of us had no knowledge of the subject not too long ago, now it's vast. Same with weighting and rigging meshes which at a time was thought would always be impossible outside of two versions of 3ds max. The capacity for this community to adapt is outstanding imo.

Else already looking into convertion. Fortunately switching mesh formats is a big thing now anyways (Xentax, Zenhax, Facepunch, Noesis, Quickbms and so forth) so the ball is already rolling well. Just a matter of time and breaking down the formula. Again flipping the so called impossible here. Last month I reported I thought the model format for Spider-man Unlimited was impossible. Two days ago I cracked it and last night I looked at the entire volume of characters converted to a usable format. Consider me on the task already.

Epimethee

Quote from: bearded on May 15, 2017, 04:58:08 AM
My experience with unity 3d was rewarding, it was just too hard to go alone. The things I learned; you can use the nif files, animations and all, but they take some converting, it's not an automatic fit. With unity's updates, they would still work, but would fall under the legacy format. And it takes 3ds max to convert properly.

I managed to eek out a playable demo with beast and marvel girl, using ff style pause tactics. I did have some paid for tools helping me, and I still have them. I'd have to check the licensing, but I'm sure I could share what I have. I still have all the tools, but I don't think I can find that exact demo I made. I will look this week.
That's very nice of you, Bearded. It certainly would help!

[/quote]I feel I got the gameplay about right, does anyone remember it? the big bad was a large sentinel. Where I got really bogged down, working alone, was in character creation. I was trying to fit open creation in from the start. FF didn't even do that![/quote]I remember trying an earlier build with Minute Man, but not that one. Either because it was Windows-only or due to RL overload, I can't remember. Is the demo still available? And while I'm at it, because I'm a greedy <insert term of your choice here>: would you perchance be interested in making your work the basis of our hypothetical effort?

QuoteIf you get to the point you want to hand out tasks, I can convert nif files, be happy to do it.
Any contribution would be much appreciated. Your experience working with Unity would be precious.

Quote from: SickAlice on May 15, 2017, 01:59:05 PM
I agree it will be but have faith in the people here to learn and rapidly. Take Nifskope and editing keyframe animations on a coding/string scale. A few of us had no knowledge of the subject not too long ago, now it's vast. Same with weighting and rigging meshes which at a time was thought would always be impossible outside of two versions of 3ds max. The capacity for this community to adapt is outstanding imo.

Else already looking into convertion. Fortunately switching mesh formats is a big thing now anyways (Xentax, Zenhax, Facepunch, Noesis, Quickbms and so forth) so the ball is already rolling well. Just a matter of time and breaking down the formula. Again flipping the so called impossible here. Last month I reported I thought the model format for Spider-man Unlimited was impossible. Two days ago I cracked it and last night I looked at the entire volume of characters converted to a usable format. Consider me on the task already.
:thumbup:

Deaths Jester

...why do I get the feeling that aside from being roped into skinning, I'm going to end up creating villians...vuja de..

SickAlice

Quote from: bearded on May 15, 2017, 04:58:08 AM

I feel I got the gameplay about right, does anyone remember it? the big bad was a large sentinel. Where I got really bogged down, working alone, was in character creation. I was trying to fit open creation in from the start. FF didn't even do that!

If you get to the point you want to hand out tasks, I can convert nif files, be happy to do it.

We must have been typing at about the same time, I missed this. Legacy format. Good to know. I have the Unity engine as well a bunch of other tools and Max. Mind linking some stuff so I can accelerate my process? Also I'll double back and see about getting a script that we can use later to make either an ingame converter or an extra convertion program. I'm sure most users in the long run won't want to use 3ds max. Seems to be another hang-up in the community, I only lucked out and got my school to get me a recent one myself. Ty.

Jam a bit more about your experiences with Unity if you can please as well, especially the technical ends of it. I have a bit of know how these days as well again friends with multiple communities that are now really good with it and can give us pointers. I think as your the one who had the most experience trying to build this from the ground up it would be important to start working from where you left off then and getting us all on the same page. Ty again and of course when you have the time.   

bearded

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3000

I paid for this asset. As best I can read the licensing, it is good for one seat at a time. So, if someone wanted to use it, they would be the only one. More seats would have to be paid for. Anything made with it could be shared by the team. Also, the framework has been abandoned by the author, which makes it most likely, the author doesn't care what we might do with it.

It is a good base to work from. I got it to working with a dynamic nav gen. It is for an older version of unity, I might have to do some tweaking to get it working, but I have no doubt. I have learned a lot of c# since then.

bearded

Quote from: Epimethee on May 16, 2017, 02:48:04 AM
Is the demo still available? And while I'm at it, because I'm a greedy <insert term of your choice here>: would you perchance be interested in making your work the basis of our hypothetical effort?
Certainly. I'll find what resources I can. The controls were exact matches for ff, with a little ai. With no real limit on team numbers, but I only used 2. Who made the Sentinel mesh? One of the greats, he gave his permission to use his resources.

SickAlice

Backing up a little as far as rights are concerned  :ff: itself is open-source as far as distribution is concerned anyways, I mean what we've been doing all these years anyways. Just up and sharing either entire game of course not, but we're allotted modding and creating full  :ff: based works as it is. Else if it comes to namesake we've been doing just that as well for years, but a little gratitude goes a long way. I recently sent Ken Levine an anniversary thanks and invited him to come see the forum sometime. Really just getting in touch with the creator and asking for advocacy isn't a bad move (I found him on FB).

Epimethee

Quote from: bearded on May 19, 2017, 11:13:59 PM
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3000

I paid for this asset. As best I can read the licensing, it is good for one seat at a time. So, if someone wanted to use it, they would be the only one. More seats would have to be paid for. Anything made with it could be shared by the team. Also, the framework has been abandoned by the author, which makes it most likely, the author doesn't care what we might do with it.

It is a good base to work from. I got it to working with a dynamic nav gen. It is for an older version of unity, I might have to do some tweaking to get it working, but I have no doubt. I have learned a lot of c# since then.
Nice, thanks!

Quote from: bearded on May 20, 2017, 01:06:13 AM
Quote from: Epimethee on May 16, 2017, 02:48:04 AM
Is the demo still available? And while I'm at it, because I'm a greedy <insert term of your choice here>: would you perchance be interested in making your work the basis of our hypothetical effort?
Certainly. I'll find what resources I can. The controls were exact matches for ff, with a little ai. With no real limit on team numbers, but I only used 2. Who made the Sentinel mesh? One of the greats, he gave his permission to use his resources.
A HUGE THANK YOU!

The Sentinel Classic mesh was by Grenadier. Definitively one of the greats!

Epimethee

Quote from: SickAlice on May 20, 2017, 01:49:49 PM
Backing up a little as far as rights are concerned  :ff: itself is open-source as far as distribution is concerned anyways, I mean what we've been doing all these years anyways. Just up and sharing either entire game of course not, but we're allotted modding and creating full  :ff: based works as it is.
If I'm interpreting correctly what you wrote, your interpretation of "open source" doesn't follow the legal definition. FF has never been licensed under open source terms. My understanding is that as far as IG was concerned, we could reuse their assets for creating content for their game. They seem to have unofficially tolerated a bit more than that, probably as a gesture of good will toward the community, but I don't remember any official statement giving away rights. Anyway, IG doesn't exist anymore and AFAIK, the intellectual property now belongs to 2K.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd avoid releasing anything publicly which reuse their intellectual property, unless as a mod working only with FF or FvsTTR. It might be conceivable though, to allow importing assets into our hypothetical new game using asset a player has on disk in their FF directory.

QuoteElse if it comes to namesake we've been doing just that as well for years, but a little gratitude goes a long way. I recently sent Ken Levine an anniversary thanks and invited him to come see the forum sometime. Really just getting in touch with the creator and asking for advocacy isn't a bad move (I found him on FB).
That would be nice! There are a few former IG contributors which used to visit this forum way back when. George Ledoux, for one, was there quite a bit, even contributing his voice talents to the Great Hunt mod. :)

bearded

I also had permission from C6 to use his skins for a new game. If the only resources we take from  :ff: are those 2 creator's creations, we're good, I'm sure. As for the Fury Framework, one seat per license works anyway, because you would really only want one person driving that car. I'll get started tonight importing Fury into the newest Unity update.

SickAlice

Not legal standard no. I hesitated on the term usage but "open source" was the best I could come up with, hence the explaining after. "Fit's GNU" would maybe be more proper but more still whatever term applies to "the game developers encouraged the clients to use the engine and entities found within to create their own works based on, literally in writ as it were". If that clears it a little better. In short Irrational straight up gave us the go ahead on the boxes of the product and their own website where they included the tools for it. I could dig out the legal stuff but we all have a copy, note to self I'll grab that for the copyright thread I made here though.

Otherwise I'm making faster strides than anticipated in format conversion. I'll lay that out in detail when it's concrete. Making an effort to educate myself in Unity for at least two hours every night as well now (I was already dabbling anyways and have the tools, interesting stuff really).

Also talked briefly about how we have a rough draft here for this and my high opinions of everyone's skills here. Other people including industry professionals took interest and said they would love to be involved in any capacity for free and just because it sounds like fun, one in particular an LA musician who would love to do music if not even just grunt texturing stuff. Told them it would be awhile of course but let me know what you peeps think.

Deaths Jester

I've kept my mouth quiet on the idea of using FFs characters/story and how fast some people are moving on this for a bit now. I got to say, though, that some here are moving too fast and forging ahead with the idea that creating a game using the FF story/charactes is the best - no matter the potential legal issues. Legally, if we  stick with making a mod for FF using the FF characters we'd be okay because it requires people to own FF to play thus allowing 2K to make a profit, ect. The idea of a new engine/game using FF's characters/ect runs us into a grey area because we would end up using a companies characters without their okay which could easily run us into the whole "cease and desist" orders that skinners/meshers ran into early on (Marvel came after us back then and while they did relent in the end, it put us on edge back then).

While it might take longer and not be as glamourous/accepted, I think it's better to take gameplay ideas and some mechanics from FF - as well as other games - and create a new game with it's own new story and characters with no connection to FF/Marvel/DC/ect.

Personally, I think we are moving a bit fast on this with no clear plan or idea other than wanting to make an FF game and nothing else. We need to sit down and truly think what we want to do, what type of story we want to tell, and everything else that Irrational and other game creators go thru when they start a new game idea.

Of course, that's just me and we all know I'm one of the smallest/least useful cog in this and the forum.

Epimethee

Quote from: bearded on May 21, 2017, 04:26:28 AM
I also had permission from C6 to use his skins for a new game. If the only resources we take from  :ff: are those 2 creator's creations, we're good, I'm sure. As for the Fury Framework, one seat per license works anyway, because you would really only want one person driving that car. I'll get started tonight importing Fury into the newest Unity update.
Having access to C6 work is certainly nice! :)

Let us know how the Fury upgrade goes. It's really too bad it was abandoned.

Epimethee

Quote from: SickAlice on May 21, 2017, 02:41:34 PM
Otherwise I'm making faster strides than anticipated in format conversion. I'll lay that out in detail when it's concrete. Making an effort to educate myself in Unity for at least two hours every night as well now (I was already dabbling anyways and have the tools, interesting stuff really).
Excellent! I'm also, if very slowly, going through the Unity tutorials, documentation and ecosystem. I was planning to do this for the next month, so I'd get at least a basic grip of things before going too deeply into stuff I know nothing about and making structural errors.

QuoteAlso talked briefly about how we have a rough draft here for this and my high opinions of everyone's skills here. Other people including industry professionals took interest and said they would love to be involved in any capacity for free and just because it sounds like fun, one in particular an LA musician who would love to do music if not even just grunt texturing stuff. Told them it would be awhile of course but let me know what you peeps think.
Great news! It sounds like we might need to organize a bit more quickly than I expected, then.

catwhowalksbyhimself

When it comes to story and character, I think we can easily come up with our own original stuff pretty well if need be.  The Liberty Bay stuff was made by the community working together and we could easily come up with original characters if it comes to that.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Epimethee

Quote from: SickAlice on May 21, 2017, 02:41:34 PM
In short Irrational straight up gave us the go ahead on the boxes of the product and their own website where they included the tools for it. I could dig out the legal stuff but we all have a copy, note to self I'll grab that for the copyright thread I made here though.
I totally appreciate the enthusiasm and love of FF fuelling this. However, I really, really feel that's not what was intended by IG (and definitively not was would be perceived as "fair use" by a judge, I'm sure): AFAIK, they gave us tools to mod the game, not to reuse freely its content elsewhere.

Quote from: Deaths Jester on May 21, 2017, 11:20:25 PMThe idea of a new engine/game using FF's characters/ect runs us into a grey area because we would end up using a companies characters without their okay which could easily run us into the whole "cease and desist" orders that skinners/meshers ran into early on (Marvel came after us back then and while they did relent in the end, it put us on edge back then).
I doubt we'd get the same leniency we got then, as this would be considered a direct competitor. While our intent is to recreate a game and its characters we love, so it can benefit from current advances, and continue to be played on modern hardware and OSes, once we're public, it would, I'm afraid, only be construed as a rip-off, morally and legally.

QuoteWhile it might take longer and not be as glamourous/accepted, I think it's better to take gameplay ideas and some mechanics from FF - as well as other games - and create a new game with it's own new story and characters with no connection to FF/Marvel/DC/ect.
I fully agree! We might even grow to love them as much. More to the point, I'm under the impression that the core need we want to address is not the recreation of FF's story and characters, but of FF's sandbox: to allow gamers to create stuff. Whether their creations are based on the universe of FF, Marvel, DC, or their own (e.g. Liberty Bay or Strangers) would be their choice. Basically, the default game could have Generic Woman and Generic Man vs. Generic Mastermind and still be exactly what the modding community wants.

BTW, I'm not saying that a quick proof of concept prototype couldn't reuse existing assets, just that it should be kept from the public until it's kosher.

The other aspect, when we're talking of FF, is the implicit thought that reusing existing meshes and skins would be easier and, because it'd give us an instant library of thousand of assets, better. However, as SickAlice mentioned, Unity and modern 3-D meshing offers much more. I'd rather leave behind tech which would be 20-year old when we ship and have a more dynamic game (on-the-fly mesh warping?) , easier modding (shared individual keyframe files?) , better in-game content edition and access to a lot more external resources. Obviously I know almost nothing of Unity yet and even less of meshing, so I'd love to get Bearded and SA's (or other people's) take on this.

QuotePersonally, I think we are moving a bit fast on this with no clear plan or idea other than wanting to make an FF game and nothing else. We need to sit down and truly think what we want to do, what type of story we want to tell, and everything else that Irrational and other game creators go thru when they start a new game idea.
We certainly need to do that, indeed! However, I don't think we should yet. In fact, we should avoid thinking too much right now about the type of game we want to do, because don't have the skills yet to evaluate what's possible and the effort required. We should start small before trying to outdo a masterpiece from one of the greatest professional game studios ever.  ;)

QuoteOf course, that's just me and we all know I'm one of the smallest/least useful cog in this and the forum.
I certainly appreciate your participation.* But you are belittling your capacities and contributions. :) (And personally, I can't pretend I'm going to be very useful in the end, as I have limited technical expertise and time.)

*the stench of your rotting undead carcass, a bit less, though. The worms falling out of your eyeballs are also rather distracting when trying to have a proper conversation.

spydermann93

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 22, 2017, 12:50:22 AM
When it comes to story and character, I think we can easily come up with our own original stuff pretty well if need be.  The Liberty Bay stuff was made by the community working together and we could easily come up with original characters if it comes to that.

I agree with this. If we are making our own game, original characters should 100% be the way to go. I do not want to even try and attempt to use characters branded by Irrational Games, even if that company is now defunct. It's not like this community lacks any creativity.

yell0w_lantern

If we're going to get caught up in all the IP stuff about reusing IG's resources then we'll somehow need to obtain or create tons of stuff - from buildings and trees to ambient sounds to footsteps noises to innumerable textures.  :banghead:
Yellow Lantern smash!

bearded

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on May 22, 2017, 04:52:20 AM
If we're going to get caught up in all the IP stuff about reusing IG's resources then we'll somehow need to obtain or create tons of stuff - from buildings and trees to ambient sounds to footsteps noises to innumerable textures.  :banghead:
There is a lot of free stuff on Unity, all need be done is pick a style.

Fury has 66 errors. I'm going to work on them tonight. Trust me, worth it.

SickAlice

Getting off track and agreed wholeheartedly that original content would be the way to go anyways if everyone else is voting for that. We certainly have the talent on this site for that as well. Still do think at least some sort of props should be there for FF, like in the tradition of or somesuch just to head-nod the inspiration and education the games gave all of us.

Epimethee

^_^ Indeed. In addition to Easter eggs etc., if a player has FFvsTTR installed, we could have a script which fetches things like voice packs and music and adds them to our game.

bearded

Quote from: Epimethee on May 23, 2017, 01:46:24 AM
^_^ Indeed. In addition to Easter eggs etc., if a player has FFvsTTR installed, we could have a script which fetches things like voice packs and music and adds them to our game.
If you want to get tricky, you could require FFvsTTR to be installed, and call the whole thing a mod.

I have success with Fury! I got it to run, but still some errors. 2 characters, you can click and give orders on 1 or both, same as ff. But movement is broken. I'll tweak it some more before I send it to you.

Epimethee

👍 Good work, Bearded!

SickAlice

Awesome bearded and that's brilliant. Irrational would love that for sure. Speaking of Easter Eggs we should totally stick the Minute Man statue somewhere in the game as a shout-out.

spydermann93

Firstly, welcome back, Bearded! :thumbup:

Can't believe I didn't say that last time :doh:

Secondly, how does everybody feel about squad size? I was thinking that perhaps five should be the squad limit rather than four. There have been many more times where I felt five people on a team would be more fun than just four. Namely trying to use teams like the New Teen Titans (Robin, Beast Boy, Starfire, Raven, and Cyborg), the Guardians (both the team in the movies and the originals), the original X-Men, and a few others here and there.

Perhaps a mode where there's no limit? That could get messy, though. Perhaps something like the Team Battle mode in FFX3 that lets you swap AI controlled teammates for player-controlled members would be a good option.