Windows 10 is at it again... update update

Started by daglob, May 02, 2017, 08:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

Or not, as the case may be. For the third time, WX has stopped letting me convert FF1 meshes to FFv3R. I have run through the compatibility modes, taken ownership; of the folder and the meshes, run as an administrator, made sure I have all permissions, and made sure the directory was not Read Only (is that the default, or is it just my computer?). I also made sure that the meshes and keyframes weren't Read Only I'm sure that I can find people kind enough to convert them for me, but, while that would be appreciated, I need to be able to do it myself

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Why did WX do away with my Virtual XP machine? (Rhetorical question-I don't expect and answer.)

And I still can't run FF1...

Cyber Burn

If you send me one that won't convert, I'll try to see if I can find a reason on the Mesh's end as to why it won't convert.

daglob

I tried my copy of Male Basic Effects, which converted just fine years ago, but now won't change a bit. No .bak file, no new .nif, and the keyframes have their original date on them.  :angry:

Cyber Burn

I've actually had that happen a few times before as well, have you opened the (.Nif) and (.Kf) Files to see if they have changed? If nothing else, this will at least tell you what version the (.Nif) is.

daglob

Where? Remember, I'm a skinner not a scoper.

Cyber Burn

When you open the (.Nif) with a Hex Editor, look in the top right corner. You should see something like this:

NetImmerse File Format, Version 4.0.0.2

OR

Gamebryo File Format, Version 10.1.0.0

The first is an example of an FF1 Mesh, and the second is an example of a FFvt3R Mesh. Both are "Deadpool_Muscular_Updated" by Shevek.

The numbers may occasionally vary slightly, but the 4 and the 10 seem to always be standards.

daglob

I tried to install Nifconvert, just to eliminate the possibility that it is a corrupt file that was the problem. It won't install because it needs different version of .Net than I have, an older one. I have V4.5+ installed, and it says it needs v. 1.1.4322 (didn't someone already send me that? I'm not sure.)  I'm not sure what to do about that. I ran the Nifconverter while I had the conversion folder (solution #2: convert in a separate folder) expanded to full screen. I can see the .bak file being created, but when Nifconvert closes, the file is deleted. this looks a little like when I start FF1; my program explorer says FF1 starts, then is killed. I guess it might be that both have the same problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Cyber Burn

I had the (.Net) issue when I had Win8, so I might still have the older version somewhere. I have 2 projects due tomorrow, so I'm pretty much useless until the weekend, but I'll look for it then.

I actually don't remember the last time I ran FF1, so I don't think I'll be of much use to you on that one.

Cyber Burn

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aixhcahm3zwpfmy/dotnetfx_v1.1.exe

This is the Version that got me running with Win8 and again with Win10.1, hope this helps.  :D

daglob

I'll try this. I have the stuff to create a virtual XP machine. I just have to do it.

But I'll try this first.

Thanks!

daglob

That seems to have fixed Nifconvert. Many thanks!

Now to figure out what happened to FF1...