News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Conversion Credits and Permissions

Started by SickAlice, May 11, 2017, 01:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

*please pin this*

I'm starting a list that I'll get back to tonight and update as it goes as well give mods license to change when I'm not able.
*.) You should always include at least a text file crediting where anything comes from. Never charge $$$ for borrowed works.

1.) First I'll list the names of specific game modellers here so we can credit them in addition to the games namesakes and/or companies. I think as artists that's just proper form. Listed here:

2.) Second any specific outlines from original content owners that have come to light:
- Any Ninja Turtles content be it prior to or currently owned by Viacom needs to be credited to Viacom now. I prepped a text file with the specific legal jargon for anyone who wants it and will be putting it inside all my stuff as well (as of Fugatoid). * see #4
-

3.) List of content owners whom do not want their game models recycled and or DMCA takedowns. The VGResource.com forums already has a list going if your unsure.

4.) In a spoiler here I will make a list of common and current copyrights as well a generic one you may copy and paste to make things more convenient.
Spoiler

- Generic disclaimer for all uses:
All characters, names and places used in this fiction and semifiction (whether online, in print or any other media) are fictitious and are used herein for the purposes of comment, criticism, parody, pointing out political and/or social injustice or any other purpose through which humanity is held up to the ridicule it frequently deserves, the most are with the implement of flattery to the author. Any similarity to real people, without parodic purpose, is a coincidence. All trade names, product names and trademarks of third parties, including any trademarked characters, used in my fiction and semifiction (whether online, in print or any other media) are used without the authorization of those third parties, and are used only for the purpose of parody, adoration and identification. No sponsorship, endorsement or affiliation by or with those third parties  exists or should be implied. No money, claim of ownership nor claim of artistic license shall be endorsed through the reproduced 3d models and the content shall only be used in tributation to the original creators and/or designers and in appreciation for their valued works.

- Freedom Force and related disclaimer:
Freedom Force, Freedom Force Vs. The Third Reich, the Freedom Force logo and all related characters and concepts are the property of 2K Games and it's subsidiary Irrational Games (2002). All concepts, characters and/or the logo are used freely within the legal confines of the end user agreement for created works agreed upon with purchase of the game product and in that no profit nor effort to profit has been made by the use of these entities nor ownership claimed or implied upon distribution.

- TMNT, Ninja Turtle and related disclaimer:
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and all related characters created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird.
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and all related titles, logos, and characters are trademarks of Viacom International Inc.
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and all related characters usage does not imply affiliation with, endorsement or sponsorship by, or approval of the copyright and trademark holders. No ownership of these or any other properties is intended or implied. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and all related characters © Viacom International Inc.

-

Cyber Burn

I'll second a sticky for this.

While I do try to give credit where it's due, the problem I've run across many times, is that a lot of these Files from other sites (Including Models Resource), don't include text files or "Read Me's". So more often than not, I either end up not releasing something, or scrapping it for something I can release.

For the TMNT stuff, is this only if you have used one of their Models? Or does it also refer to just using their Characters in general, such as the Foot Clan that is on Force of Paradox?

SickAlice

For TMNT stuff I got a hold of them personally on this for a previous project. Incident was a person online was sharing extracted models from Portal Power. Another shared their extracts and claimed them as their own work then tried to charge money for them (big no-no!).

For TMNT this also refers to the use of their characters even if they're custom ones like I made for fan art. They only wish to be credited with their copyright for the entities. For further notice Viacom now owns all previous incarnations of the Turtles and related characters including the comic ones despite whom (IDW) they have distributing them.

Added generic disclaimer and TMNT disclaimer.

Noted to avoid any cognitive dissonance for one I will be updating every single thing on my own site over the weekend to reflect this. The easiest way is to keep text files and at least the provided generic and recopy that to other releases. The second is I'm not trying to police here, I hope it doesn't seem like that. Just protect all of you as well the site. I've seen this sort of thing go south to many times and am seeing a rise in it given the rise in the game modding communities online. Better to be safe than sorry.

SickAlice

* update: haven't abandoned this, sorry for the drought. Still compiling a solid list and just want anything to be completely in order.

SickAlice

Updated with a short and sweet  :ff::ffvstr: one after a lot of small print reading. Applicable to using Freedom Force and it's characters of course, not for in the general sense.