An Anime Thread

Started by HarryTrotter, May 26, 2017, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Might as well try and see if this works out.
I recently got around to starting Monster,at current speed I might even finish it by the next decade.So,what are you guys watching these days?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on May 26, 2017, 01:11:00 PM
Might as well try and see if this works out.
I recently got around to starting Monster,at current speed I might even finish it by the next decade.So,what are you guys watching these days?

Nothing right now. The last anime I watched was Escaflowne, which is quite possibly both one of the best fantasy and giant robot shows I've ever seen. Other than that, I've dabbled in Baccano and thought about watching some other stuff, but I haven't really seen anything else since.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Well,we have to kill time while we wait for Part 5 of JoJos Bizarre Adventure. :)
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on May 27, 2017, 08:44:53 AM
Well,we have to kill time while we wait for Part 5 of JoJos Bizarre Adventure. :)

Honestly, I've never seen Jojo, if only because I've already read the manga. 9 times out of time, anime adaptions of shonen manga are just the manga with some filler thrown in. So why should I watch it if it's just the original manga with with pretty colors and animation? Maybe I'll watch it one of these days if I want to read Jojo again and figure I might as well just watch the anime instead reading the whole manga again, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

HarryTrotter

Some fillers?I think your selling them short there. :rolleyes:
Granted,by that logic,why watch any adaptation of anything?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on May 27, 2017, 03:04:07 PM
Some fillers?I think your selling them short there. :rolleyes:
Granted,by that logic,why watch any adaptation of anything?

Because sometimes, the adaptation is different enough that it's still worth watching. Just look at FMA.

HarryTrotter

That doesnt really work as an example,the second anime is the better one.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on May 27, 2017, 04:09:56 PM
That doesnt really work as an example,the second anime is the better one.
I didn't say that the adaption has to be better; it can be that much worse for all I care. But at least it's still different.

Silver Shocker

Spade, if you're anything like me you'll like Monster. It's certainly a bit slow to start up (you need to watch the first 4 or so episodes before you even get to the premise of the show) but it's a good story. It's certainly not a flashy series. I found it perhaps the most grown-up anime I've watched. If there was ever a anime I've seen that could get an Western live action remake without really compromising anything. I mean, really, the characters are non-Japanese to begin with. It would fit right in with stuff like Dexter and Hannibal.

Yeah, manga-to-anime adaptations (especially shonen) have a level of beat-by-beat accuracy and fidelity, even with the filler and edits, that's rarely if ever seen elsewhere. The only things I can think of are Watchmen or the DC Animated films based on Frank Miller's Batman, and even Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns had additions and subtractions to change it up.

Absolutely agree that Brotherhood was the better Full Metal Alchemist, though IMO the Manga still trumps it for a few reasons. The nice thing though? It doesn't have to be one or the other. The original still had a an interesting story in its own right (one the manga ka apparently had some input in, if I recall correctly) and it was good enough to get myself and no doubt a lot of other Western fans into the series just by virtue of being on tv.

Speaking for myself, I'd say the benefits of watching the anime even after reading the manga are the things that medium brings to the table. To use a series I've invested literally hundreds of hours into watching: One Piece. The voice acting is wonderful (in the Japanese version; the Funimation dub is a mixed bag, though not without its positives IMO) the soundtrack is glorious, the openings and endings are a lot of fun and on the occasions that the animators bust out what I like to call the "the good animation" it enhances the experience. The same can be said for pretty much all of the shonen action series I've seen. 

I actually just finished re-watching FMA Brotherhood recently. I still love it though the manga is the best version of that story.

I saw Escalowne a good decade + ago, and I quite liked it, but I actually wouldn't mind going back and rewatching it. If nothing else, I'm curious how the Funimation redub ended up. Though I really miss the days where Ocean got to dub stuff. I should stress I'm not one of those guys who's really harsh on English dubs.

I just recently watched Psycho Pass 2. I've heard a lot of people thought it was a letdown compared to the first one but honestly I thought it was pretty good, even if they were making sure not to step on the toes of the movie that was being made around the same time (I'll probably be watching that soon).

I recently watched the Stein's Gate movie. I loved the tv series and the movie was fun but it was really just a reunion special made to get these characters together again and have them play off each other.

I also recently got back into Gundam for the first time in a long time with season 1 of Iron Blood Orphans. That was pretty good. I'll have to see S2 at some point.

I always seem to end up rewatching Death Note every few years. That was a big favorite of mine.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Well,Monster is the only one(or maybe one of 2)of Urasawas works I havent read.Watched in this case.
On the topic of adaptations,different medium provides a different experience.Granted only example I can think of where I read the manga and watched the anime are Shaman King and Yu-gi-oh.But in both cases,there were big differences between the manga and the anime.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Cyber Burn

I've recently watched:

Fairy Tail: Priestess of the Phoenix
Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry

So now I want to go back and watch the the whole Fairy Tail series, just so I can play catch up. Other shows I've been watching bit by bit (Mostly older ones though), are:

Black Blood Brothers
Heat Guy J
Owari No Seraph (Which I'm really liking)
Blood-C
Absolute Duo

Silver Shocker, I'm right there with you on this one:
QuoteI also recently got back into Gundam for the first time in a long time with season 1 of Iron Blood Orphans. That was pretty good. I'll have to see S2 at some point.

I saw a little bit of the Fate Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works Movie, and I think I want to give the Fate series a try as well when I finish everything else.

Podmark

Quote from: Cyber Burn on August 20, 2017, 10:38:39 PM
I saw a little bit of the Fate Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works Movie, and I think I want to give the Fate series a try as well when I finish everything else.

I really recommend Fate/Zero. One of my favourite series.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

HarryTrotter

From somebody who gave up a long time ago,Fairy Tail isnt worth it.Its all fanservice and friendship speeches.

Currently,Im only watching Space Battleship Yamato 2199.Its good.
Jon Farmer

Red Fisser

Boku no Hero academia is a great anime. Plus its superhero themed!

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Red Fisser on August 22, 2017, 04:28:46 AM
Boku no Hero academia is a great anime. Plus its superhero themed!
I found it to be the most mediocre shounen series ever.But thats probably just me.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

All Might is best character. That is all. *teleports away again*

kkhohoho

Quote from: Tomato on August 22, 2017, 04:45:33 PM
All Might is best character. That is all. *teleports away again*

All Might who now?

Tomato

One of the primary characters in Boku no Hero Academia (aka My Hero Academia) and mentor to the series protagonist. He is voiced by Christopher Sabat (Vegeta/Piccolo) in the dub, and he is AMAZING.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Podmark on August 21, 2017, 03:20:07 AM
Quote from: Cyber Burn on August 20, 2017, 10:38:39 PM

I really recommend Fate/Zero. One of my favourite series.

Thanks for the suggestion Pod, I'll definitely add it to my list.

Silver Shocker

I'll second that recommendation. I really enjoyed Fate/Zero.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Luigisan

I'm currently into Gamers! And Fate/Apocrypha, all looking interesting so far.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

bat1987

Big fan of My hero Academia, very funny, lots of cool characters, animation is top notch too. Agreed with everyone that Brotherhood was superior to original FMA. That being said, original FMA had some interesting ideas and def is a fun watch.

Quote from: Silver Shocker on May 31, 2017, 12:24:20 PM
Spade, if you're anything like me you'll like Monster. It's certainly a bit slow to start up (you need to watch the first 4 or so episodes before you even get to the premise of the show) but it's a good story. It's certainly not a flashy series. I found it perhaps the most grown-up anime I've watched. If there was ever a anime I've seen that could get an Western live action remake without really compromising anything. I mean, really, the characters are non-Japanese to begin with. It would fit right in with stuff like Dexter and Hannibal.

Great anime, def unlike anything out there. Even non anime fans seem to enjoy it due to its theme and story. There was some talk about Guilermo Del Toro adapting it into a live action series. It's def right up his alley so we'll see, could be interesting if it ever happens.

On topic of Death Note, def one of my all time favorites, twists and turns are amazing. Silver, if you are fan of Death Note, I'd reccomend Code Geass. Great anime, also has a really smart protagonist who is manipulating people around him. They also recently announced season 3, so might be good time to watch if you haven't already.

Big surprise for me, is a show i recently watched, Assassination Classroom. Not sure what's sillier at first, the premise or that it works sooo good. The more you watch, the more you find out about all the characters and that not everything is the way it seems at first. A lot of funny and emotional moments. Around 50-ish episodes and the story ends beautifully.

A bit of an obscure reccomendation for those of you that like main characters and their oposition playing mind games and game of cat and mouse is Terror in Resonance. It only has 11 episodes so you can binge watch it, def worth checking out IMO.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: bat1987 on September 21, 2017, 11:18:32 AM

On topic of Death Note, def one of my all time favorites, twists and turns are amazing. Silver, if you are fan of Death Note, I'd recommend Code Geass. Great anime, also has a really smart protagonist who is manipulating people around him. They also recently announced season 3

They did?I missed a lot...
Oh yeah,Terror in Resonance was interesting.

On the topic of thing nobody watched,but I feel obliged to recommend- Record of Lodoss War.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: bat1987 on September 21, 2017, 11:18:32 AM

Great anime, def unlike anything out there. Even non anime fans seem to enjoy it due to its theme and story. There was some talk about Guilermo Del Toro adapting it into a live action series. It's def right up his alley so we'll see, could be interesting if it ever happens.

Does he know the kind of monsters he usually has in his projects aren't in this?  :P I mean, if he wants in some weird thing with eyeballs on his hands, well, that's certainly something that would be at home in some other manga and anime, no so much Monster.

QuoteSilver, if you are fan of Death Note, I'd reccomend Code Geass. Great anime, also has a really smart protagonist who is manipulating people around him. They also recently announced season 3, so might be good time to watch if you haven't already.

Actually, I did watch Code Geass a few years ago. I quite enjoyed it. I definitely see some similarities between Light/Kira and Lelouch/Zero. That plus Mechas made for a good time.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Anyone seen Lupin the Third maybe?How was it?
Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

The Lupin the Third series is great, and I do recommend it. However, I've never actually seen any of the movies. I plan to correct that at some point.

HarryTrotter

Thanks,I should get around to that soon.
From what I remember movies were a mixed bag.From great to "what the hell was that?"
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

I haven't seen any of them either, except for the Castle of Cagliostro. Which is probably the case with most people. That's one a classic.

HarryTrotter

So live action Battle angel Alita will happen.Anyone notice how by the time they get around to adapting a manga/anime,it has already been aped so many times that the movie looks like a copy of its own copy?I think thats called the John Carter effect.
Jon Farmer