News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 136: Tempest Rebirth

Started by Podmark, July 30, 2017, 09:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Tempest Rebirth design?

Love
Meh
Dislike
Hate

Podmark

Another week another Titan. This time we have Tempest:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

2: But I really was torn between 2 and 3.  It's really not a bad costume, though it's over-designed, of course.  That's a standard boilerplate for the modern era.  The basic concept is pretty solid, with the armored upper and sleek lower, but there are several things that don't quite work.  The scales continuing onto the lower half, the weird belt bit, the blue on blue, etc.  Make the upper part red and I think you've got something.

I would be glad to see Aqualad back, except that this character seems to have nothing really in common with my old favorite and was denied any history by just being dropped, fully formed, like Athena, into the middle of the DCU. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Actually, I feel like it's more of an homage to his design from the Teen Titans cartoon, which I personally rather enjoyed. Additionally, I'm glad they kept him in Blue rather than red... I'm sorry, but after years of ALL THE RED ON EVERY CHARACTER EVER (Including freaking BEAST BOY!?! REALLY DC!?!) I feel like the current version of the Titans is a lot more balanced as far as colors. Still, it could be far better, and I do wish he had the Atlantean "cha" or whatever the heck DC has calls the "A" belt buckle.

Courtnall6

This one is pretty cool. Sleek and not horribly over complicated. Although, drawing the belt from every angle would be a bit of a pain.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

detourne_me

Tomato

I think the idea is that you swim better with toes free to move? I dunno. te way it's designed does feel impractical

daglob

Yeah, unless the toes are webbed (shades of Man From Atlantis ;)), then having them uncovered is just a fussy bit of excessive design. I agree with Benton on e flow of the scales to the lower section, and the belt looks funny. It's like a couple of other belts, except this one is more obvious: it points at his naughty bits, and this one looks like it's going to circle around them and lift them up for all to see. Cover the toes, put a belt a little less elaborate on him, and stop the scales at the belt, and this isn't a bad costume at all. I like the blue.

Does everyone from Atlantis have water-manipulating powers these days?

Tomato

I mean, Young Justice literally showed an Atlantean magic school where even novices could manipulate water like Aqualad.

BentonGrey

Yeah, I'm guessing that's the angle they're going for, and that's fine.  I've always liked Atlantis to have some magical elements.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Podmark

Count me down for a Like, but there's a few things I'd change.
The pants would look better if they were a darker blue - I wouldn't be surprised if that's the way they're coloured in the actual book.
The belt is a little too complicated. I'd get rid of the extra pieces at the sides.
Like Benton I think the lower scales should be removed, it unbalances the design.

On a non-costume note I'm not huge on the tattoos, hair, and facial hair. Gives him a grunge kinda look, but maybe it works if I was reading the book.

Anyway the positives, the blue scale top, the silver belt and the navy leggings is a great combo. Very sleek. It takes the basic Aquaman setup but the cut here is cooler.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Pod, I agree about the extras, like the tatoos, etc.  But that has more to do with what I want from the character than aesthetics themselves.
God Bless