Marvel's Spider Man

Started by Tomato, September 04, 2017, 03:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

So since I had the day off today, I decided to quickly burn through this new spider-man show that came out... and frankly, it's actually pretty decent. It's hard to say whether this show will supplant Spectacular in my eyes, but it's got a decent head start in that direction: a supporting cast filled with Spider-Man characters both new and old, plot threads that are being saved for the long term, decent animation and voice acting... and above all, NO CHIBI SPIDER-MAN THOUGHT DIGRESSIONS.

The only thing I'm missing thus far is probably a consequence of the nature of the show: It wears its Homecoming influence on its sleeve. Ironically, we haven't seen practically anyone from the supporting cast of the film in the cartoon (the show features Miles Morales, Anya Corazan, Harry Osborn and Gwen Stacy as love interest) but just about everything else is the same... the first villain is Vulture, the first costume is clearly modeled after the film, etc. As a result, we've had no Bugle interaction AT ALL, and the show hasn't even done the USM method of using Jonah as a Bill O'Reily esque talking head newsman... Harry is the only one not totally on board with the Spider-Man thing. As cliche as the Jonah aspect was (and admittedly I prefer the Ultimate comics Jonah which humanized the man and had him sacrifice himself FOR Peter in the end) it's an interesting.

Also, Professor Octavius is kinda fun. It's a direction we haven't seen with the character before, and it's a nice change. I've made no secret that Otto easily supplanted Norman as my favorite Spider-Man villain, so I'm down for seeing more of him before his inevitable turn to villainy.

Podmark

I think it's doing pretty decent so far. Reminds me a lot of Spectacular, which a very good thing. I like the large supporting cast and the long term plots that are developing. Some random thoughts:
-Pretty funny everyone goes to a science school. New York must have a high concentration of young geniuses.
-Things with Harry seem to be developing very quickly. Curious how that will play out.
-Poor Jackal lost his name to Miles.
-Jackal is in a cartoon!
-Doc Ock is Robin. That will distract me forever. GO!
-Gwen's design looks too old.
-I would have included included an asian girl in the background of the origin short. Just in case.
-Norman is voiced by Spider-Man. That's hilarious!
-Spider-Man's costume was stolen from Gerry Drew.
-Was very surprised Anya was included but she seems to fit so far.
-With Peter, Miles, Anya, and Gwen all included I wonder what this show will look like down the line.
-Needs more Flash.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Silver Shocker

Show's decent so far. I echo a fair amount of what Pod said. Ther is one thing about the show that bugs the hell out of me and it's actually the music. Oh, the main theme is fine, if a little generic (then again, think how many times a composer has had to come up with a "triumphant, uplifting" Spidey theme for a movie, cartoon or video game. Eventually they're going to blend together.) My issue is they play it way too often. Every single episode, every single fight, they play that exact same track, with maybe some minor variation, and it's really repetitive. It's honestly worse in that regard than any 4Kids dub I ever watched, or any superhero/action cartoon from the 60s-80. Transformers G1 ain't got nothing on this. And neither did the previous Spider-man cartoons, for that matter.

I'm hoping that particular quality improves with time. Otherwise, show's ok.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa