Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: Old Skool Marvel  (Read 78 times)

Offline HarryTrotter

Old Skool Marvel
« on: September 10, 2017, 02:45:11 PM »
So lately I was (re)reading/catching up on some thing,mostly from the time of Wayne's World and Mortal Kombat.  :)

The Gargoyle I guess the central theme is Christianity vs Paganism.Its weird.Its DeMatteis.

Hellstorm: Prince of Lies and Druid Its early Warren Ellis,so it feels a lot like a pilot episode for his later works.Even some names got reused later on.Jakita Wagner,anyone?Not terrible,but lets face it,Ellis isn't all that diverse in his works.If you read even one,you saw a lot of things here handled better.

I returned to finish She-Hulk,and honestly,it suffers after Slott leaves.David isn't bad,but abandoning the setting and the characters of the past 30 or so issues kinda hurts the series.At least the whole thing with doppelgangers from Earth Alpha explains a lot about the Marvel universe.

Peter Davids Hulk Halfway thru,and I cant help but notice- Punisher really was everywhere in those days.  :rolleyes:
Its good so far,what can I say?

Ghost Rider/Punisher/Wolverine Its Marvels three most profitable heroes (at the time),together at last.But it actually holds up better then you would expect,and it has JR JR on the art.Thou I cant guess why Mephisto looks like Malebolgia from Spawn here.Okay,I can,but its unnecessary.

Wolverine v2 Apparently,Marvel universe had a real problem with cybernetic villains at the time.
Its gets a bit weaker after Claremont leaves,but it evens out once Hamma took over.And I like Silvestri's art,as always.

Cable Classics So yeah,Cable is Terminator.With Cannonball being John Connor.IIRC,that plot never really went anywhere.Then again,Im not even sure if I read Cables solo series before.I think I did,but I wouldn't bet on it...
Series has a weird tendency to jump all over the place,so its a bit hard to follow.Even for somebody who read X-Force of the time.It gets better in the second volume.And really,what is up with cyborg villains all over the place? :blink:

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline HarryTrotter

Re: Old Skool Marvel
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »
Moving on with Hulk,Death shows up on Ricks wedding.As in Death from Sandman.We never see her face,but its death as a goth girl with an ankh pendant(that has to bail before Thanos shows up).You can guess who it is.
That messes up several universes,doesnt it? ;)
There is also a running gag with some Japanese tourists,but I was too lazy to look for a translation.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer