News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

I'm Mary Poppins y'all!

Started by Glitch Girl, September 15, 2017, 01:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

edit, if that  image doesn't show up, try this link: https://comiposer.deviantart.com/art/I-m-Mary-Poppins-y-all-704497135

Behold my costume for DragonCon this year!  Inspired by GotG2, I decided to do the weirdest mashup of the summer.  :D

This costume was a learning experience in EL products -which I learned how to use over the few months between the movie and the convention.  Even then, I didn't get the hat fin to light up correctly without help the day before I wore this thing thanks to my best friend.  Despite that, I am most proud of the hat, which started life as a regular old wide brimmed summer straw hat before I cut it down, spraypainted it a ton, hotglued flowers and berries to it, and added the fin.  It's not quite evident in the photo is that the fin on the hat lights up, as do some of the ribs in the umbrella as well as the handle which pulsed.

The facepaint is several layers thick and actually managed to survive the Atlanta heat & humidity thanks to a little product by Urban Decay called "All Nighter" which I will sing the praises of forever.  Taking it off later, the bathroom looked like I had butchered a smurf before I cleaned that up as well.  This is why I brought my own towel because I don't think the hotel would appreciate blue all over their nice white towels.

There were at least five other Yondu Poppins there, and each one took a different take on the character.  It was great.

I want to refine it more and maybe do it again next year.  We shall see. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Deaths Jester

Umm...GG, hon...I'm not seeing any pic just a broken pic symbol...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Reepicheep

Cyber Burn

Did you hand make the outfit as well? If so, major kudos for that as well.

Deaths Jester

I'm still wondering why folks were dressing up as Mary Yondu though....

Good work though...oh and to get the blood of a smurf off those towels...well, that would be telling so I better keep quiet on that....will say that Care Bear and My Little Pony blood is involved....
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Podmark

That is an awesome costume! Great idea!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Cyber Burn on September 15, 2017, 03:32:35 PM
Did you hand make the outfit as well? If so, major kudos for that as well.

Sadly no, there wasn't time to make a dress from scratch so I purchased a Mary Poppins dress online and added the Ravager insignia to the chest. 

Quote from: Deaths Jester on September 15, 2017, 05:35:34 PM
Good work though...oh and to get the blood of a smurf off those towels...well, that would be telling so I better keep quiet on that....will say that Care Bear and My Little Pony blood is involved....

The secret is to use a blue towel.

Actually I'm not kidding - the towel  I brought was blue so it wouldn't show the stains as much if there were any.  :D
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

MikeB7

The Phantom Eyebrow

Great costume GG.  Liking all the towel discussions too; Hitchhikers guide anyone?