New Mutants--A horror superhero film?

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, October 14, 2017, 12:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

kkhohoho

...On the one hand, I was expecting the New Mutants, not a horror movie that just so happens to be called 'The New Mutants.' If that makes any sense.

On the other hand, it's still got Illyana and Rahne in it, who are two of my favorite X-characters of all time and who I never thought would make it to the big screen, so I guess it'll be worth a watch for that alone.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

crimsonquill

The more I think about it.. The New Mutants fits the horror vibe sooo well.

Sam (Cannonball) - Country miner who discovers his powers during a mine cave in where he saved his father but haunted by the others in the mine he couldn't save and barely understands how his power works.

Dani (Mirage) - Native American who feels cursed by her own power by unleashing the fears of everyone around her however during good days occasionally providing illusions of what folks desire. Also probably chased away by her own tribe when her powers first manifest creating the first appearance of the Demon Bear which killed her parents.

Illyana (Magik) - Russian immigrant who somehow has been separated from her family (Peter and her parents) and haunted by her own strange abilities to open portals which often lead to a Hellish world. (Note: If you pause the scene of the child in bed you can see it's a young Illyana holding a stuffed purple dragon..mmmmm.. foreshadow of Lockheed?)

Rahne (Wolfsbane) - Scottish immigrant who is told by her own father she is a monster and stories that she transforms into a Werewolf. Completely feels tortured by her highly religious upbringing that she is damned to Hell for just existing.

Roberto (Sunspot) - An immigrant from Brazil born into a rich family of high political influence who is exiled because of his strange power to transform into a flaming shadow form when he gets angry or loses control of himself.

Xi'an (Karma) - A Chinese immigrant who feels completely isolated because she often finds herself possessing the bodies of anyone she concentrates on for too long. People claim that she is either crazy or believe that she is somehow using supernatural demonic power to possess other people.

Warlock - A strange creature locked away in solitary confinement because everything he touches turns into ash and feels like an alien trapped in a world that isn't his. He often sees himself transforming into a technological monster when he gets around computers or other advanced technology. (The director has confirmed that Warlock IS in the film but will be introduced in a very surprising way).

During a recent interview the Director also stated that he is a HUGE fan of A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. Where a group of very different teenagers are haunted by something in their past and unite to take on their fears while discovering their own inner powers. Sounds like a perfect template for The New Mutants origin to me where they are all haunted by misunderstanding their mutants powers emerging and something very deadly is lurking in the shadows.

Even that "Strange Man With The Smiley Mask" we see briefly might actually be a warped vision of someone from The Right (the anti-mutant vigilantes which were very big threats to The New Mutants) that is hiding as a staff member of the Mental Facility and killing off all of the mutant patients that have been forced to stay there.

Then you have Doctor Cecilia Reyes (the woman in the Doctor's coat) who seems to have a understanding of mutants and experimenting on the teenagers located in the Asylum. Is she a mutant herself (maybe latent powers or just hiding them) or working for someone more.. sinister? *scary movie laugh* (Okay, maybe not Mr. Sinister.. but he soooo fits a horror movie...but if they are adding him into the upcoming Gambit film then he exists in the FOX movie canon).

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Podmark

I'm very intrigued and a little excited for this project. Taking mutants but using them in a horror film could be really cool. I hope it turns out good.
One aspect I'm concerned about is if they'll use common horror film trait of picking off characters one-by-one. Part of me thinks that should be there - it's a key part of many horror films, but another part doesn't want to see favourite X-Men characters killed off like that.

One funny thing is make a few small changes to that trailer and I'd have no idea it was an X-Men film.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

catwhowalksbyhimself

In fact, the only change they would need to make for me not to know it is to leave out the work "mutants" which is mentioned only once.  It otherwise would seem to be straight supernatural horror about a haunted home for juvenile delinquents.  Or possibly mental hospital.

BentonGrey

Well...that's...weird.  What a strange choice.  I really don't know how I feel about this.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Nightmare on Greymalkin lane?
Scream X(men)?
Friday the 13th: Back to School?
Pumpkinhead...okay,I got nothing for that one.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So I kinda enjoy watching the trailer. Unsurprisingly, my favorite part was seeing Maisie Williams with Wolfbane's Claremont-era hair. But honestly, I was fine with it. The creators have been upfront about this being a horror film, and I watched the trailer and I went "yep, that's a horror film trailer all right". And as mentioned above, if you took out those uses of the word "Mutant" you'd have no idea this had anything to do with X-Men. I actually kinda applaud Fox and all involved for doing this. Spicing things up with this X-Men spin-off is exactly the kinda thing the X-Men film franchise needed. It worked great with Deadpool, which non-comics fans enjoyed as a "superhero spoof film" without any pre-established attachment to the character. Here we have what was very much the B-Team of the Claremont X-Men comics, and while I have nothing against those characters or comics, you'd have to do something interesting to make the film stand out and feel like its own thing one way or another.

Now, that being said, will I go see it? Almost certainly not. I'm not really a horror movie nut by any stretch. Will I rent it? Yeah, decent chance.

QuoteNightmare on Greymalkin lane?

Actually, now that you mention it, with little to no alteration, Freddy totally could have fit in as a Claremont era X-villain alongside such off-puttingly goofy concepts as Mojo, Mr.  Sinister,  "Nanny and Ophanmaker", and those two guys from X-Factor who were totally George and Lenny from Of Mice and Men.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yea, I saw a lot of people saying things like, "this has nothing to do with the comics" and I was thinking, an X-men villain could totally have powers like these.  It's certainly an oddball choice for a comic book film, but it's not out of the question for the source material.

detourne_me

I've been saying this at other places, but the original New Mutants lineup has a lot of powers conducive to a horror theme.  Moonstar's fear hallucinations, Karma's possession, Magik's trans-dimensional portals through Limbo, and Wolfsbane is a freaking Werewolf. only the guys stand out with more traditional superpowers.  Heck, with the Demon Bear as an enemy, a horror/psycho-thriller is a really interesting take for a movie.

BentonGrey

Ehh, like SS said, I have zero interest in seeing the movie, as I'm not a horror fan.  I would watch the heck out of a classic New Mutants flick, but this isn't really that.  Yeah, you can put those characters in a horror tale, but then it's just a horror movie with those characters rather than an actual story about them. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

catwhowalksbyhimself

To be fair, trailers are not always good representations of films.  It may turn out to be less of a horror film than it so far appears.

BentonGrey

True, but they are certainly selling it hard as a horror film, and considering the director's stated intention (as I've heard) to make a horror film, it seems like a good bet.  Either way, they're driving away folks like me who would otherwise see it, but they're probably pulling in the horror crowds who might otherwise not.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Historically,horror movies earn a lot for a very little investment.So it could be an odd case of playing it safe.
But again,I will judge it when I see it.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Panther_Gunn

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this could work well if at some point (probably later than the midpoint of the movie) it's revealed that either Mephisto or Nightmare are behind the whole thing, or something similar.  It still could be played as a straight-up horror film until the reveal, then we get some good super-hero power use action scenes, and a return to the normal Marvel world at the end (or is it?).
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Deaths Jester

Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Deaths Jester on October 19, 2017, 03:46:31 AM
Shadow King, perhaps...

It's the Demon Bear (a Native American curse that haunted Dani's tribe which pulled in souls of those the Demon Bear killed if I remember).. They are not revisiting Shadow King anywhere else after it was pulled off successfully in FX's Legion Season 1.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

UnkoMan

I just saw the trailer for this yesterday and I am excited as all get out.
I was just saying to my roommate the other day (who doesn't care about comics but likes movies) that I would love to see more mutant stuff that tries new things. The best mutant things in my opinion were Logan and Legion. Also, Deadpool did really well, and though I am not particularly a fan, I do like how they went in their own direction. Make a good movie first, not a good "superhero" movie.

In my opinion, this looks dope to me and I hope they pull it off!

Also, I read that Demon Bear was not going to be the main villain, but that it does draw a lot of inspiration from that story arc? But even if they use Demon Bear... I mean, that's still cool.
Also, also, I was reading that this is suppose to kick off a trilogy (because of course) of New Mutant horror movies, but each one is a different "style" of horror movie. Well, we'll see what happens. Maybe teens these days will end up loving the New Mutants as a cheesy horror franchise.
http://www.slashfilm.com/the-new-mutants-trilogy-horror/

I'm bias though, as I absolutely love horror and mixing horror with super heroes.

Deaths Jester

I could easily see using Illyana and Belasco/Limbo as a sequeal if they went that way...

And maybe the Island of Animen as another loose potential too. That's if they don't touch on the Shadow King run...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.