Hasbro lauches Allspark Pictures.. without Paramount's Transformers or G.I. JOE?

Started by crimsonquill, October 26, 2017, 08:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crimsonquill

I'm not sure if anyone who doesn't follow the Hollywood grapevine is aware of this or not: While Hasbro has been working deals with major studios for awhile in bringing their franchises to the big screen. Paramount managed to secure two of their biggest toy lines with two G.I. JOE movies (where the first literally was an insult to the fans and the second was an okay apology but made less money) and the Michael Bay Transformers (errr.. BayFormers, since most die hard Transformers fans refuse to associate the name with each sequel getting worse then the last). Then add on the ultimate insult with JEM (done by the director of G.I. JOE 2 claiming that he would return for the 3rd after knocking his sisters favorite show out of the park) which pretty much buried the prospects with Hasbro getting any more outside studios to invest in their films.

So, Just a few weeks ago Hasbro announces during one of their stockholder meetings that they have officially launched ALLSPARK PICTURES to create their own connected universe of movies featuring their toys. Of course this brings into question of using the name ALLSPARK which has deep connections with the Transformers but since Paramount Pictures has a death grip on both Transformers (Bayformers money is keeping Paramount afloat after all) and G.I. JOE apparently (finally!) has another team of writers working with Dwayne Johnson to get the sequel to Retalliation on the books for 2019.. what other franchises does anybody care they own film rights to?

Let's see.. Hasbro has rights to Stretch Armstrong, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Monopoly, Micro Machines, My Little Pony, Charmkins, Battleship, Operation, Furby, Jem And The Holograms, Mr. Potatohead, Trolls, Pound Puppies, Visionaries, and Zoids. Anyone see a cinematic universe fuel here?

All I can see is maybe PIXAR having pity on Hasbro and wedging in all of these toy lines into Toy Story 4 and then spinning them off into their own animated universe from there. Otherwise, well.. already have seen where Battleship and Jem ended up trying for live action.

Is it just me... but why do I keep having an awesome vision of a film trailer that opens with a small military force charging into combat against an advanced terrorist force. Doesn't seem like anything more then being a throwback to '80s action war films. Until the camera finally gets close enough to spot symbols of both G.I. Joe AND Cobra which pretty much sends the audience into thinking this is the long awaited G.I. JOE sequel until Cobra Commander's gun transforms into Megatron which is followed by every Cobra vehicle also changing into Descepticons. While minds of fans are exploding across the Internet then you see a Semi-Truck followed by a huge army of military vehicles mixed with other cars with Duke leaning out the truck window yelling "YO JOE!" and quickly followed by the booming voice of Optimus Prime saying "Autobots Transform and Join The Battle!!". THAT is what I WISH would be the ultimate launch for ALLSPARK PICTURES. (yes, you may pause for a moment to clean up your drool). While fans seem hot or cold with Paramount's track record in adapting these toy franchises all you need to do is bring these two together with a decent amount of respect for old school fans and show new fans that this can be the action war film yet to be seen on screen.. AND THE THEATERS WILL BE PACKED.

Oh hell, and I go back to looking at the Hasbro lineup and just hear that "Wahh-Wahhhhhh-Wahhhhhhhhh!" sad trombone sound.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: crimsonquill on October 26, 2017, 08:07:56 AM
Let's see.. Hasbro has rights to Stretch Armstrong, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Monopoly, Micro Machines, My Little Pony, Charmkins, Battleship, Operation, Furby, Jem And The Holograms, Mr. Potatohead, Trolls, Pound Puppies, Visionaries, and Zoids. Anyone see a cinematic universe fuel here?

The only thing I could see that could have any legs at all for live-action would be Micronauts.  You *might* be able to throw in cameos for M.A.S.K., Micro Machines, and Jem (but why would you want to), if just to tie the universes together.  All of the rest are pretty much animation fodder.  Speaking of which, the Trolls movie seemed decent, and MLP has come back big, so I could easily see tying the two of those together, with potential cameos from some of the rest.  But, yeah, not a lot of driving force for theatrical releases.

I could also see Micronauts tied in with Transformers & Joe, all fighting the battles on different scales, with different missions (or different parts of the same mission).  I just don't see why Hasbro needs a movie company, unless it's to try to have more creative control over their property.  I don't see it being much of a player or a factor.  At best, I expect to see it in the opening credits of any Hasbro related movies, along with the *actual* movie studio logos that did all the work.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

crimsonquill

:doh: After looking through my stack of comics... I completely derped on the existence of IDW's Hasbro Comic Universe, which already exists and done fairly well sales wise.

Seriously, IDW managed to bring together Transformers, G.I. JOE, Micronauts, M.A.S.K. and ROM The Space Knight (Dammit, How did I miss that was one of Hasbro's toy franchises?) into a very tied together universe complete with monthly Handbooks introducing new readers to established IDW continuity versions of their '80s franchise characters. I'm sad that Larry Hama's JOE comic history was pretty much rebooted for this united universe but he still is working on other Joe related IDW comics that keep his long running legacy intact.

If this comics universe is the inspiration for ALLSPARK PICTURES then I can see what they are aiming for.. because looking at the image below, I can see why. Just DAMN, The '80s kid in me is just dancing in the streets.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer