News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Merging fx.dats

Started by Dreaded Porcupine, November 18, 2017, 11:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreaded Porcupine

I just got back into the game and I can't remember how to merge .dats. I installed EZfx 6.0 but I have a lot of additional fx I had stored installed as well. The domain in the tutorial section on this no longer exists. I backed up my existing .dats but can't figure out what to do in the editor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cyber Burn

How to Merge Dats. Tutorial from FRP2.

Make sure you back up all your files before continuing!

1. Open FFedit. You'll see an option to merge files at the bottom of the initial screen (Options). Click it.

2. A screen should pop up that says, "Select DAT file to write TO." Choose your ORIGINAL .dat. In this example, I'll be using an fx.dat.

3. Now you'll be prompted to, "Select DAT file to write from." Pick the fx.dat you want to add data from.

4. Once you've done this, FFedit will begin merging the files. It may appear as if the program is frozen; don't worry, it's doing it's job. After a few moments, this screen should appear.

5. Consider yourself done. Go test your efforts in game to see if everything worked correctly!

Dreaded Porcupine

Thanks Cyber. Greatly appreciated.

Dreaded Porcupine

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. None of the EXfx 6.0 fx are showing up now in the game either. I installed everything in the right order. I put my stored fx in the same folder as all of the EZfx. I installed EZfx 6.0 and then added all the fx I had stored on my external hard drive. I merged the DAT files from the data/art/library/fx/generic to the FFX DAT file. What am I doing wrong?

Cyber Burn

If you're playing the FFX Mod, did you put your FX Files into your FFX Folder?

Dreaded Porcupine

Quote from: Cyber Burn on November 19, 2017, 01:44:41 AM
If you're playing the FFX Mod, did you put your FX Files into your FFX Folder?

I screwed something up. I'm going to start all over. Reinstall everything. Before I modify anything I'm going to load the game and navigate through all the folders so I can see where everything goes. Then load the EZfx 6.0, FFX 3.3, etc and see where all of that goes. That way I can get the DAT files straight. Then hopefully I can load all my extra fx. The only folder I kept is the one with all of the custom skins and meshes I loaded from my external hard drive.

Dreaded Porcupine

None of Alex's packaged fx is showing up. I loaded everything in the order of his FAQ. FFFvsTTR, Superhero TV, EZFX 6.0, FFX 3.3. I didn't load any of my other fx. None of it is showing up in either FFvsTTR or FFX. What am I doing wrong?

Cyber Burn

Check in FFEdit, see if the merge took.

Cyber Burn

:banghead: AAAARRRGGHH!!!  Don't delete your:

QuoteC:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art\library\fx

Dreaded Porcupine

Dreaded Porcupine

Quote from: Cyber Burn on November 19, 2017, 04:28:01 AM
:banghead: AAAARRRGGHH!!!  Don't delete your:

QuoteC:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art\library\fx

I didn't delete it. It's still there. Just not showing up in the game. Anyways my brain is fried. Been doing this all night. Now it's a quest. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

Cyber Burn

Open up FFEdit, Click on the "Options" Tab. Make sure everything is pointing to where you want it. For me, it's set to the Main FFvt3R Game.

Then Click on the "FX" Tab, and see if your FX are listed.

Dreaded Porcupine

Quote from: Cyber Burn on November 18, 2017, 11:54:31 PM
How to Merge Dats. Tutorial from FRP2.

Make sure you back up all your files before continuing!

1. Open FFedit. You'll see an option to merge files at the bottom of the initial screen (Options). Click it.

2. A screen should pop up that says, "Select DAT file to write TO." Choose your ORIGINAL .dat. In this example, I'll be using an fx.dat.

3. Now you'll be prompted to, "Select DAT file to write from." Pick the fx.dat you want to add data from.

4. Once you've done this, FFedit will begin merging the files. It may appear as if the program is frozen; don't worry, it's doing it's job. After a few moments, this screen should appear.

5. Consider yourself done. Go test your efforts in game to see if everything worked correctly!

I got all the fx to appear in the editor. Still couldn't get them in the game. I corrupted everything trying to merge the DAT files. I uninstalled everything. I had duplicate fx in different folders. I didn't put my stored fx in the same spot where EZFX went. Now I know where everything is supposed to go. I'm going to skip loading EZFX and just send all my stored fx to the right folder. I have my old fx and sound DAT files. I'll just put those in the same spot that EZFX put the DAT files. Then I will try and merge those to the FFRvsTTR DAT files in the data folder.

Dreaded Porcupine

I give up Cyber. I uninstalled and erased everything like it was the first time I was ever installing the game. No directory no pathways no nothing. I installed the game. Superhero TV. EZFX 6.0 (no additional fx). FFX 3.3. FFedit2. All in that order. I open up the editor and make sure all pathways are how you showed me. I clicked on the fx tab and all the EZFX are there. I tried the regular game and then FFX 3.3. I go to edit a hero and none of those fx show up. I then go to the editor and merge fx DAT files from the FFX folder to the data folder and nothing. Then I try merging fx DAT files from the data folder to the FFX folder in case I'm doing it backwards. Nothing. If I install just the EZFX 6.0 do I even need to merge files? Why aren't any of these fx showing up? I left all my old stored fx until I figure this out. When I did try to merge files it didn't even take a second to say files are merged. In the past I remember this taking more time to merge these files. If you have any idea what I'm doing wrong please let me know.

Cyber Burn

Let's skip all of that for a minute.

Have you downloaded/installed Benton's "Marvel Adventures" Mod Yet?

Dreaded Porcupine

Quote from: Cyber Burn on November 20, 2017, 03:27:57 AM
Let's skip all of that for a minute.

Have you downloaded/installed Benton's "Marvel Adventures" Mod Yet?

No just the game, superhero TV, EZFX 6.0 and FFX 3.3. Why will that fix everything?

Cyber Burn

Not exactly. But if I remember correctly, the MA Mod was built off of FFX, plus it has EZFX and a lot of other extras already built in. I'm thinking that if you installed the MA Mod, you'll get corrected FX and Sound DAT Files, that you could potentially replace your broken ones with. But first, run the Marvel Adventures Mod to make sure it's working right.

However, I should state that on my Desktop PC (Windows 10/Disk Version), I had to create a Folder titled "MA" in my FFvt3R Game Folder for all the Mod Files to go into because the installer didn't automatically do it for me.

And I know it's a given, but I still have to say it anyway: Don't forget to back up your Files before doing any of this, just in case.

Dreaded Porcupine

Thanks Cyber. I'll give it a try once I found out where to get the mod from. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cyber Burn

You have two options for downloading it.

https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/marvel-adventures/

Or

http://www.moddb.com/mods/marvel-adventures

Once you get this installed. Give it a run through, and check to see if the FX are there. If so, then you could copy and paste the FX and Sound DAT Files, along with the FX Folder from the Marvel Adventures Mod, into the correct Folders of your Main Game. This should give you a good starting point to work from.

QuoteAnd I know it's a given, but I still have to say it anyway: Don't forget to back up your Files before doing any of this, just in case.
Sorry. Gotta say it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sidenote: The DAT Files that you are trying to merge into your FFvt3R Game, are they  :ff: or  :ffvstr:?

Also, is it possible that those older DAT Files could be corrupted? If so, that could be causing your issues.

Dreaded Porcupine

Downloading it now. Wish me luck. What's the difference between the FFX 3.3 fx.dat 310KB, fx.dat.ezfx60.new 310KB and the fx.dat.ezfx60_only_for_merging_new 98KB? All three were in the FFX folder. Maybe these three files are where I went wrong. Anyways I'll let you how the Marvel Mod turns out.

Dreaded Porcupine

It worked except for one thing. I clicked on every campaign and they all worked except the Avenger campaign. My Avast antivirus pounced all over it. I restored it and tried it again. Avast is not letting this app do anything except go back to the virus vault. I've done this three times now. Did a full scan and everything else checks out. Just my luck. The Avenger Mod is the one I would want to play. Anyways I tried both the regular game and FFX 3.3 and none of the custom fx are showing up. This is unbelievable. I got all DAT files copied, separated and organized. I'm to tired today but I'm going to take each one tomorrow and merge them one at a time. I'm going to rename the extra dats that came with FFX 3.3 to just .dat and see what happens. In the meantime I'm just going to play the marvel mod minus the Avengers who are in prison in my virus vault. If you have anymore ideas I'd welcome them. Thanks again for all of your help.

spydermann93

Quote from: Dreaded Porcupine on November 21, 2017, 02:49:59 AM
It worked except for one thing. I clicked on every campaign and they all worked except the Avenger campaign. My Avast antivirus pounced all over it. I restored it and tried it again. Avast is not letting this app do anything except go back to the virus vault. I've done this three times now. Did a full scan and everything else checks out. Just my luck. The Avenger Mod is the one I would want to play. Anyways I tried both the regular game and FFX 3.3 and none of the custom fx are showing up. This is unbelievable. I got all DAT files copied, separated and organized. I'm to tired today but I'm going to take each one tomorrow and merge them one at a time. I'm going to rename the extra dats that came with FFX 3.3 to just .dat and see what happens. In the meantime I'm just going to play the marvel mod minus the Avengers who are in prison in my virus vault. If you have anymore ideas I'd welcome them. Thanks again for all of your help.

The best work around for switching campaigns is this:

1) Go to your FFvtTR\MA mod folder. Delete (or rename) the campdef.dat file.
2) You'll see a "campaigns" folder. Open that.
3) Copy the campaign that you want to play (AVENGERScampdef.dat in your case)
4) Go back to the main MA folder and paste the copy in your copy
5) Rename the copied file to "campdef.dat"
6) Launch the mod and enjoy!

Dreaded Porcupine

Thanks Spydermann. I'll give it a try. All the effort I'm putting in this game and I've yet to play it.

Dreaded Porcupine

Quote from: spydermann93 on November 21, 2017, 04:06:17 AM

That worked. Thanks.

spydermann93

Quote from: Dreaded Porcupine on November 23, 2017, 01:01:22 AM

That worked. Thanks.

Glad to hear that ^_^

Dreaded Porcupine

Quote from: spydermann93 on November 23, 2017, 01:52:58 AM
Quote from: Dreaded Porcupine on November 23, 2017, 01:01:22 AM

That worked. Thanks.

Glad to hear that ^_^

Thank you and Cyber Burn for all of your help. It was greatly appreciated.