Popular things you never "got"?

Started by HarryTrotter, November 21, 2017, 06:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Good or bad aside,we probably all experienced something that just wasnt our cup of tea or we didnt get why people find it interesting.
For example,I never got Wonder Years.For a sitcom (was it?),whole thing is downright traumatic.
Or a recent example,Parks and Recreation.Is its supposed to be funny?Is it funny because they are dead serious?Because local politics function like that,almost exactly?I dont get it. :)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

daglob

Soap operas (excluding daytime Dark Shadows but including nighttime soap operas and 1991 Dark Shadows). I sometimes leave them on if something I want to watch comes on afterward. These days there is a lot of discussion about "taking responsibility" and "getting it" and yet no one really takes responsibility nor do they seem to get it. They seem to be dumber than a post.

I often wonder what is wrong with these people.

My daughter loved Boy Meets World. She was 9.

And I often puzzled over Rosanne and was one of the people who did not love Raymnond. 

kkhohoho

Twilight. Why do people like this crap? Seriously.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

daglob

Quote from: kkhohoho on November 21, 2017, 06:55:44 PM

Yeah. I don't understand what is so great about having sex with a diseased corpse. Even a sparkly one.

Then there's "Vampire: The Masquerade"; the live action variety.

GhostMachine

Seinfeld. How anyone thinks it is one of the greatest shows ever is beyond me. I quit watching during the second season, and I've seen rankings of the greatest comedy shows ever that make me laugh more than the actual show did.

The NuTrek movies. They lost me with the second film when they did the reverse of the big Kirk/Spock moment from Wrath of Khan. Plus, I hate how Spock is written in the newer movies. They don't get the character at all.

Not a fan of Twilight by any means, but they did seriously miscast with Kristen Stewart. Ashley Greene, the actress who played Alice, would have made a better Bella.

detourne_me

For me as a kid, I never got into GI Joe.  I just don't like the military I guess. Give me Transformers, He-Man, or Thudercats any day of the week, though.
Then in high school, I never really got into the Legend of Zelda games.  I loved a Link to the Past, but had never played anything beyond it (even though I'm itching to get a switch now to play Breath of the Wild)
Once I got into university, and Harry Potter became a big thing, I knew it was for kids, and would only ever watch the movies once a year with a friend and some.... medicine.
There are a few other game franchises I never really got, too. Any first-person shooters, JRPGs, etc. and these days I just cannot listen to recent rap music.  My musical taste has stagnated for sure!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: GhostMachine on November 21, 2017, 11:48:50 PM
The NuTrek movies. They lost me with the second film when they did the reverse of the big Kirk/Spock moment from Wrath of Khan. Plus, I hate how Spock is written in the newer movies. They don't get the character at all.

The second movie was pretty lame, but the third is surprisingly good and feels more Trek like.  The new director probably made the difference.

For me I grew up overseas and often heard about trends after the fact.  Pogs confused me.  I watched a bit of Power Rangers, but never saw the big deal (although I was a bit older than the normal audience) especially since I recognized it as a common Japanese genre that had been around for decades.  Everyone was like--it's a cool new show unlike anything else.  I was like, it's now new, it's just like all the other shows I used to watch.  Even has the annoying robot at the home base.  Nothing original at all.

Never dawned on me that Americans genuinely had never been exposed to it before.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Silver Shocker

As I've observed before (though not on this forum, I don't think) People who didn't care for the two JJ. Abrams films or liked them less tend to like Star Trek Beyond more, for reasons that make perfect sense. Linkara, Moviebob and Redlettermedia's Half in the Bag all liked it more. I enjoyed it, but I thoroughly enjoyed all three.

This kind of thread is right up my ally. There was a thread on Tvtropes I took part in a few years back in the comics forum where the game was to praise a comic you hate and give a criticism to a comic you loved. I loved this idea because I felt it was a good way to balance things out so it didn't get overaly negative. Naturally, the mods locked it for being "too negative"  :thumbdown: Actually, might make a good thread here.

Anyway, I'll chime in a few I feel passionate about:

1. The Legend of Korra. I didn't love Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I did enjoy it and I appreciated it. But I had serious issues with Korra. I enjoyed about half of it, and didn't like it as much as the earlier series. I couldn't get invested in most of the characters.

2. Samurai Jack. I always found the original run of the show boring, overall formulaic, and, my biggest problem with it, it had a solid premise that it never really did anything with.

So imagine my surprise when the revival comes out and it's literally everything I ever wanted the original to be. Connected plots, character development, actual stakes and emotional weight, shifting allegiances, darker tone, and Jack actually trying to defeat Aku. I said to my friend when it was coming out "Where does this show get off getting good after all this time?" I absolutely mean to watch it one day because everything I've seen and heard sounds awesome, but I know it also has some returning characters and continuity with the original run so I might try to make it through the original run first, since I never did when it first aired.

3. Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc V. I've discussed this at fair length with HT over PM, but yeah, as a fan of the franchise, this one perplexes me. I've heard a few people say it's the best Yu-Gi-Oh! since the original, but I find it the least engrossing by a wide margin. I find the story and characters aren't as interesting or handled as well as the previous shows.

4. Since nobody said this thread was strictly about shows or movies....As I've mentioned at least once before on the forum, I've never liked the MCU-era Loki as much as everyone else. Though that's more he's overexposed across the Marvel brand (movies + comics + video games + cartoons) than the version in the movies actually being bad. But I never look forward to more of him anymore as a result.

[EDIT] One more I almost forgot:

5. I know I'm gonna get flak for this one.....Batman: TAS. The reason I don't love it like so many other do (though I definitely enjoyed it, and pretty much all of the shows and movies within that universe) pretty much stems from it being more focused on self contained stories, and, unless I'm watching a comedy, I tend to greatly prefer serialized storytelling (and sadly, when they did a Batman show that did longer arcs from the outset, Beware the Batman, it didn't turn out that great.) Pretty much everything else about the show is great though, and I'm very happy for the lasting impact its had on so much that's come out since. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are still the definitive Batman and Joker.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on November 21, 2017, 07:13:57 PM
Quote from: kkhohoho on November 21, 2017, 06:55:44 PM

Yeah. I don't understand what is so great about having sex with a diseased corpse. Even a sparkly one.

Then there's "Vampire: The Masquerade"; the live action variety.
But its a great game. :)
Thou,did anyone like Raymond?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

From the realm of comics,pull out your torches and pitchforks now,Sandman.While there is no denying its influence and importance,I personally never could stomach Gaimans brand of goth cleaverness.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Oh, if I included comics, I'd probably be here all day.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Panther_Gunn

Ah, and this is why you all are "my people" (but don't ask me to sing the song, though).

A short list of things I was probably past the target age to "get" when they came out:

G.I. Joe
Power Rangers
TMNT (other than the original comic run, but I wasn't interested)
Transformers
Pokemon (including every single CCG that followed)
Harry Potter
Saved By The Bell

Other popular things that never grabbed me:

Friends
Sienfeld
Buffy (the series -- it was too different from the movie, which I liked)
the BSG reboot
B5 (but only because it was so long between the pilot and the start of the show, and I was in Japan, otherwise I might have been a fan)
Rosanne
Everybody Loves Raymond (like Sienfeld, their stand-up was enjoyable, but not a successful transition to sitcom)
Twilight (because I have a brain -- and this may also belong to the the list above)
50 SOG (because my sense of taste has a gag reflex)
all anime/manga
Mission:  Impossible movie franchise
New Trek
Fast & Furious franchise

I'm sure there's far more to add, but that's all that's coming to mind at the moment.

And just because I have to....

"You were not brought upon this world to "get it"" Mr. 'glob.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

daglob

I wasn't brought upon this world, I was decanted like a good little android.

Like Panther Gunn, I was too old for most of those things

Shogunn2517

My Gunn brother said a lot I would already.  But mine weren't mostly due to age.  Some of it was.

Harry Potter(not at all)
Friends
Seinfield
Pokemon/Magic/Yu Gi oh/etc.
Dragon Ball Z
Lego Etc.(anything related)

Couldn't really get into Power Rangers.  Saw the first few episodes, got the concept, but never really watched.

Not just Mission Impossible, but pretty much anything with Tom Cruise in it.

And as big of a Star Wars fan I was I bought Vector Prime, never read it and the rest of the NJO and anything Yuuzhan Vong. 

catwhowalksbyhimself

I thought of another one.  One Punch Man.  People talk about it like it totally awesome.  I watched it a few days ago, and it was okay.  It had some interesting ideas and I like main premise, but I woudn't call it good and definitely not great.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

daglob

Come to think of it, I haven't gotten the X-Men since the 1980s.

GhostMachine

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on November 23, 2017, 01:41:33 AM
Not just Mission Impossible, but pretty much anything with Tom Cruise in it.

I saw the first MI movie in theaters, and was not pleased that it crapped all over the original tv series. (If you're a fan of the tv show and haven't seen the movies, DO NOT watch the first film!)

Ouflah

Quote from: GhostMachine on November 21, 2017, 11:48:50 PMThe NuTrek movies. They lost me with the second film when they did the reverse of the big Kirk/Spock moment from Wrath of Khan. Plus, I hate how Spock is written in the newer movies. They don't get the character at all.
This. This so much.  :thumbup:

When I think of popular things I haven't "got," I mostly think of movies I intentionally haven't watched because I know they aren't my cup of tea. Of course, this results in me hearing "oh but you have to watch it" all the time.  :P
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on November 22, 2017, 11:05:47 PM
Oh, if I included comics, I'd probably be here all day.
Sandman was a good example because its one of the few things that broke into the mainstream.
And no;I dont think Saga managed to do that.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Haha, yeah, I'm often out of step with the crowds, but I see that as a badge of honor these days.

Though I'm almost of an age for it, I also never got Pokemon or Power Rangers.  Even as a kid, I thought they were both stupid.  I also never really got into Dragon Ball Z, either.

Magic the Gathering.  It was all over when I was in middle school, but I never really got into it, though, as is very often the case for me, the mythology and potential of the ideas behind fascinated me.  I had a book of the artwork for the cards that fueled my own fantasy storytelling for a while.  In fact, my favorite D&D character, who traveled through all of the classic Black Isle games, Dakkon Elsdragon, was taken from two of those cards.

I'm astonished at the folks who didn't get Seinfeld
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

Yeah, but I don't understand  why people don't get The Three Stooges... ;)

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on November 26, 2017, 06:20:56 PM
Haha, yeah, I'm often out of step with the crowds, but I see that as a badge of honor these days.

Though I'm almost of an age for it, I also never got Pokemon or Power Rangers.  Even as a kid, I thought they were both stupid.  I also never really got into Dragon Ball Z, either.

Magic the Gathering.  It was all over when I was in middle school, but I never really got into it, though, as is very often the case for me, the mythology and potential of the ideas behind fascinated me.  I had a book of the artwork for the cards that fueled my own fantasy storytelling for a while.  In fact, my favorite D&D character, who traveled through all of the classic Black Isle games, Dakkon Elsdragon, was taken from two of those cards.

I'm astonished at the folks who didn't get Seinfeld!
To be fair,I dont think anyone got MTG lore.Also,Pokemon?Come on,your not that young? ;)
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Actually that checks out for me. I have a friend only a few years older than me who never much cared for Pokemon, and a brother 1 year older who was very critical of the anime during it's original heyday (but has accepted it in the years since, even if he's doesn't make a point to watch it himself) and didn't play the game for very long.

As for Seinfeld, well Tvtropes does call it the "Seinfeld is Unfunny" trope. Mind you, I've experienced that for a bunch of stuff (some video games have aged very poorly) but not Seinfeld. It was a funny show when I first watched it, and I think it's a funny show now. No joke, when the terrorist bomber called in to the radio show in the Netflix Punisher show, I literally turned to a buddy in my viewing group and said "Should I say it or you?" and he said "Yeah, this is the terrorist bomber!" referencing one of our favorite Seinfeld plots.

QuoteSandman was a good example because its one of the few things that broke into the mainstream.
And no;I dont think Saga managed to do that.

I'd agree with that. Neil Gaiman's name has come up a few times outside of the comics medium discussion. He even had a scene stealing guest starring role on one of the only decent episodes of the "modern" era of the Simpsons!

Brian K. Vaughn, on the other hand, I've never heard come up outside of the comics fandom, not even with a Runaways adaptation out now.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

One of these days I might try out Undertale, but I fully expect I won't like it as much as some people apparently do.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Time to do some necroposting since there is a movie coming out...Dune. Its a self-insert fantasy,Paul is a total Mary Sue,villains are cartoonish over-the-top kiddie touchers,its slow and overwritten. But Im told its "Star Wars for adults" and "Uh actually in the sequels..."  because people can't reevaluate something they liked when they were 12.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I'll second that.  I actively hate them.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Kommando on January 13, 2021, 01:37:08 AM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 13, 2021, 01:29:50 AM
Soberness...i just don't get it.

I've been dry for almost two years and I bet I drank more than you or Dr Manbot.
Now that reference sure takes me back. It's kinda nostalgic. For the most miserable time in my life (high school).

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 12, 2021, 08:41:27 PM
I'll second that.  I actively hate them.

I would argue our lives have been a reality show for a good year or more.
What's that?

Fair enough.

Quote from: Kommando on January 12, 2021, 08:53:07 PM
Okay talking about Star Wars, here is something I don't get. Who liked Yoda in Empire Strikes Back? Eight year old me was really upset that the Jedi Master was a puppet with Miss Piggy's voice. And then I remember the glut of Yoda figures in the discount bin at K-Mart. Nobody liked him. How is he beloved? He's a puppet. Okay, I was also upset that Tribute Magazine lied to me about the third movie being REVENGE of the Jedi, before it got hit with the 1983 version of the PC bat.

Mind you, I liked the prequels, and I bought ALL the most recent movies. ALL of them. First Order Trilogy. Solo. Rogue One. And don't tell me people didn't like Solo, because when that movie came out on video, it was NUMBER ONE on Amazon and Google Play. So people were buying it, and like me, just not discussing it with anyone else.

1. I liked Yoda when I was a kid and saw Return for the first time. Mind you, my godparents named their dog Yoda, and that was the best dog I ever knew, and I'm like this sure I knew the dog before I met the character in the movie, so that likely had something to do with it.
2. Red Letter Media joked that it was changed from Revenge to Return because Return has one fewer letter which saves money on ink.
3. It was GROVER's voice. :D
4. Congraturations, you qualify as the single most devoted SW fan I know. You have, presumably replaced Shogunn. And everyone I know in RL enjoyed Solo.
And I'm hardly one to throw stones. I loved Episode Nine: The Rise of Palpatine.

Quote from: Kommando on January 13, 2021, 01:37:08 AM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 13, 2021, 01:29:50 AM
Soberness...i just don't get it.

I've been dry for almost two years and I bet I drank more than you or Dr Manbot.

I've never seen the appeal of alcohol, myself. The only thing I can actually drink and enjoy is a rum and coke/Dr. Pepper, easy on the rum. Literally everything else I've ever drank (wine, ice wine, and *shudders* Jägermeister) tastes like some variation of what motor oil presumably tastes like. Probably definitely for the best, in my case.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Not a fan of Jagermeister either. Last time I got actually drunk was...probably over 5 years ago or so...

Back to the topic- American Psycho. I appreciate all the memes it spawned but the actual movie is slow and boring.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

The first time I watched Blade Runner from start to finish I didn't get the appeal. The first time I watched it I found it dreadfully dull (when I was a kid I wanted to put it on on tv to try it out and my brother wouldn't allow it, because he hated the movie so much. Naturally he went full hipster and changed his tune in his adult years after reading clickbait online) but on the plus side, while I drudged through I played the Nintendo WiiU port of the Nintendo DS remake of Super Mario 64. Great game, and Luigi is in fact real in it! :D

But I put it on because a buddy of mine wanted to watch the new movie at a later date (and course bailed) but with repeated viewings (I do have to watch those multiple cuts after all) by the time the sequel landed on Netflix and I watched it I was able to appreciate it. Like Jay from Red Letter Media, each time I rewatch it I appreciate it a little more, and one day I may actually love it.

"I was quit when you called me here. I'm doubly quit now."
"She hasn't got long to live, but then again, who does?"
"I've.....SEEN things.....you people wouldn't understand [...] all those memories will be lost.....like tears.....in.....rain." (R.I.P. Rutger Hauer)

I like to think we can all agree though, that the Harrison Ford narration in the original version, is absolutely terrible.

"I got a BELLY full'a killin'".

Oh, that narration's fulla SOMETHING, all right.
~Rocky Balboa