Let's talk about Avengers Infinity War

Started by Shogunn2517, November 29, 2017, 04:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

https://youtu.be/_xBziiJI3DU

New trailer is out... and it confirmed what I already knew.

I know this might be nitpicky and some may say nonsensical but it's my opinion.  I know we were talking about Thor: Ragnorok a few days back and someone mentioned that while it was a good and entertaining movie, it wasn't a "Thor movie" if that make sense.  And what I'm seeing from this trailer is much the same.  It may be a good movie.  It may be an entertaining movie... but not only does it sorta seem like I've already seen the "epic crossover showdown of heroes to stop a big bad villain" movie before but I also got the feeling that they kinda made a deal with the actors saying "hey if you sign up for this many movies we'll let you do one how you want it, screw the story, deal?"  We've watched and we've been able to enjoy these films because not only do they make good movies but they keep them true to the comics.  And I don't think they're taking that same sort of care now.

I know it might be a cosmetic thing but it's a tell IMO. 

Am I the only one getting that feeling?

BentonGrey

Well Shogunn, after Thor 3, I am definitely more worried along those lines than I have been in a long time.  There's not a lot here that looks like the comics.  Even Thanos doesn't look like himself.  And, while this is a minor thing, he does look rather stupid without the helmet.  Nonetheless, what we're seeing here makes sense in regards to what they've done so far in the MCU.  It seems to be following naturally from previous stories, so that's something.  And at least the tone doesn't seem super jokey.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

For awhile, Thanos was living alone on a planet, kind of being a farmer. He didn't wear his usual costume at the time. It might have been after he gave up being God.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Eh, I don't have any such impression.  Marvel has been building up to this pretty much from the beginning.  This has been planned long term.  It isn't something their throwing together in the current phase.  Plus there is nothing here.  It's just a trailer flashing scenes of the all the heroes, which is exactly what people want to see.  It really gives us on idea of what to expect.

What should give you an idea of what to expect is that this is being directed by the guys who did Winter Soldier and Civil War.  That should settle most of your worries right there.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Yeah, I see that my post sounded more apprehensive than I actually feel.  I'm sure this one will be good, but my confidence, which was about 100%, is definitely shaken some after Thor 3.  My point was that what we're seeing here makes sense in light of what we've seen in earlier movies.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Im probably going to end up complaining this needed more Mephisto.  :)
Then again,it seems to be more of Infinity then Infinity Gauntlet.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

To be honest I didn't like Infinity that much. With the exception of the Black Order, who are very cool (except in the movie, where only Ebony Maw is cool)

To be honest, Mephisto, I don't think would work. Though it's worth noting they did give at least one of his lines to Maw. If you have the Devil himself show up to have a brewski with Thanos, the non-comics audience is going of jump out of their seats and go "What the hell is this crap? The devil's in this now?" At that point you might as well have God himself show up suspended from a metal cable Greek play style to save everyone from Thanos. It's the same reason the introduction of Krang in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows doesn't work: You can't just plop aliens into an movie that had no hint out of aliens all nonchalant, believe it or not, there actually would be people at that point who don't know who Krang is or don't know the specifics and it just didn't work as depicted in the movie (The Nerd, The Critic and Andre covered it better than I ever could).

Now, yes, the Teen Titans cartoon did Trigon, but as Teen Titans always did, they had a whole season to build things up. Infinity War, there just isn't time or space to throw "The Devil" into the proceedings unless he actually DOES something. And make no mistake, if Mephisto actually made it into the film, he would be repurposed as just an alien, as the Asgardians basically were. At which point you might as well just give his lines to Maw.

Keep in mind I'm making any commentary on actual religion here, just the character of "The Devil" as applied to pop fiction.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

As mention in that movies thread,you could count on the primary audience,kids and parents,to know about Krang.Because he was in 2 animated series.
A lot of my problems with Infinity were art related,strangly.
Yeah,MCU took the Stargate approach to Asgardians.I think I covered most of that in the Ragnarok thread.
On a hypothetical level,I dont see why we couldnt have a devil in the MCU,other then censorship.
Also,God does show up in Infinity Gauntlet.Or several of them.Or not,if you count One Above All as THE God.
Marvels cosmology makes you wish for a giant hand that shows up in every Crisis.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I still meant to put the emphasis on introducing him into this new iteration.

Indeed, those things exists in the comic versions, but I really meant in terms of trying to fit him into the movie. I think you could fit him into a later film, but not Infinity War. Unless you made Infinity War at least 3 movies, then you could probably do it.
Dormammu made it into Dr. Strange, and I actually would consider him one of Marvel's many, many Devil stand-ins. But the way he's used in Doctor Strange doesn't have anything to do with Infinity War or Mephisto's role in the Infinity Gauntlet.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I know he would be impossible to work in here,I get that.I was saying it would be interesting to see him in the future.Because I like Mephisto,and he was an important part of the Infinity Trilogy.*
Also a quick search tells me there are more people who would like to see Mephisto in the MCU.Unexpected,but nice to know.It also led me to this:
https://www.cbr.com/villains-too-offensive-for-the-mcu/
Lets see:
-Mephisto,just covered
-Mandarin,we went over that a dozen of times
-Marcus Immortus,please no..
-Flag Smasher,which is weird since Flag Smasher is awesome.But no studio would do a globalist villain these days.Since you know,thats a good thingtm
these days
-Bushman,this doesnt seem to have anything other then his fights with Moon Knight are violent.
-MODOK,that would be hard to do
-Hate Monger,yeah I got nothing
-Blackheart,see under Mephisto
-Warrior Woman,Im pretty sure nobody even considered that
-The Jackal,again,please no...
-Black Talon-yet another problematic comedic relief character.Are they gonna go after Dr Bong now?
-Gwen Stacy's Children-why would anyone want to adapt Sins Past?
-Master Man- Im surprised we didnt see him yet,actually.
-Holocaust,so problematic that he stops any discussion of AoA on twitter.
-Adolf Hitler- see under Hate Monger

*I assume there were 5 more parts and 10 prequels added since last I checked.
Jon Farmer