Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Seasons Greetings!

Author Topic: Starting Over Map Making  (Read 145 times)

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
  • Evil is afoot! No, the whole leg!
Starting Over Map Making
« on: November 30, 2017, 03:03:45 AM »
Hi there,

So it's been a loooooong time since I did anything FF related. Well, I have been lurking a bit more, and got a random hankering. I remember it was pretty funny the couple of maps I made. I wonder if I could make more?
Except... I completely forget how. I don't even have FF installed, actually, but I did move all my FF folders to a harddrive. Looks like I had dropped the first game in favour of TR.

So I open up FFEdit and set Primary Data Path to M:\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\WeirdWorld
Secondary Data Path to M:\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data
Nif   M:\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\WeirdWorld\Ar
Sound   M:\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\WeirdWorld\Sounds
Game EXE   M:\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffvt3r.exe
Level Editor   M:\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffvt3rEdit.exe (Is this where I went wrong?)
And I dunno what to set for Python Editor.

All the tabs are populated with things, making me assuming it's working, except the missions tab. That's all greyed out. What am I doing wrong?
For the record, I was trying to follow this tutorial: http://phantombunburyist.freedomforceforever.com/tempest/modtutorial.html
I'm open to any other tips or tutorials or advice on map making, since I've totally forgot everything, ha ha ha.

Thanks in advance, folks!

Offline Cyber Burn

Re: Starting Over Map Making
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
Hey Unko, I don't know anything about Map Making (Always wanted to try, but never had the time), but here's a bunch of stuff I found in my Files that was eventually going to be put into the Resources Yahoo Group.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c0hu3xwkx5hzccq/Map_Making_Files.7z

Hope this helps.

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 01:07:42 AM »
Hit up Dana, he still lurks about sometimes...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »
Thanks, folk! Will start poking around.

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
So, I have been poking, prodding, relearning. Those files were quite helpful, Cyber!
I have created new objects, but they don't appear in the list, via the in-game editor. I can manually add them via FFEdit and then easily reposition them in game, so that's okay. There is something about making a "character" after a "template" for new objects, but when I checked the "characters" tab I didn't see any objects, so I figured I would just leave it. I had old instructions on installation from the two maps I made long ago, and they didn't mention this.
Does anybody have an idea as to why that is? I mean, it's workable, it's just easier if I can add them all in-game.

Additionally, I have noticed the "skin" string on objects, but have read this is only for characters? This would be why things like billboards have separate nifs, but it seems extremely wasteful to me, considering I have made at least 12 new advertisement posters, and would like to do a bunch of neon signs. I can do this easily enough, though it is a little tedious adjusting all the nifs in nifskope, but then I have a whole bunch of extra nifs taking up space!
It's possible I could be filling out the "skin" string wrong, or need to place them in folders like with character skins? Does anybody have experience with this?

Even if nobody does, should I document what I have done so that others can do the same? I dunno if people are making many maps these days. It seemed like there weren't a ton made for FFvsTR, but I could have just not noticed them.
But if people are and want to talk about it, I'm game.

One other weirdness... I was adjusting pieces on a redsun map and didn't delete all of the original pieces. Then, suddenly, when I rotated some to a certain angle and checked them in FFEdit, jumping back in game they changed to a different building!
Also, Cuban houses, when I rotated them 180 degrees, transformed into a demolished Cuban house and would not return. Had to delete these objects and redo them, turning them to 179.9 degrees.
Anybody had anything like that happen?

Offline Cyber Burn

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
I'm always hungry for information, so any notes you take during this process, I would love to have.

Also, it's possible that I may have more information floating around, I'm a bit behind at the moment, but anything I do find, I will gladly post for you.

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 11:18:27 PM »
Okay, here's a weird thing.
I was trying out Benton's Pulp Adventures mod, and noticed the city looked like it was taken from FF1. That's cool, because I was wondering if I would be able to steal and modify maps from there, since I'd like a lot more city options than FFvsTR provides.
(Which will be a thing I will talk about in a sec.)
Then I go into the files and see some things. MORE billboards (you don't even know how much I love billboards), and water tanks and all sorts of little bits I'd like to add to some of my maps. I copy the nif files over, and see these "template.txt" which, I'm assuming, is the reason my created objects weren't showing up in the in-game place object list, and I make a template and set it all up.
But then when I try to place the object in-game nothing shows up. The object name shows up. It's in the list in FFEdit. But there's no nif in the game world.

So what gives? What did I mess up?

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 12:58:00 AM »
Actually, I might have figured it out in that the "template.txt" file is creating an entry that will show up in the menu but it isn't linked to my template in FFEdit and my nif.
Hmmm.. Interesting. Maybe if I rename and change what is in template.txt?