News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Astro City

Started by BentonGrey, December 12, 2017, 04:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

So, is anyone else reading the Astro City ongoing?  If not, what the heck is wrong with you?!  :D  These are the best comics being published right now. Hands down.  They are beautiful, fun, and compelling.  And then, occasionally, like with the latest issues, they are down-right heartbreaking.  I just read issues 47-8, and good heavens...they pull on the old heart strings like nobody's business.  They make a really wonderful story, uplifting and enjoyable, but they also tell a tale of beautiful, bittersweet sorrow.  It's all good, and it ends well, but I'm not ashamed to say I teared up a little, and that never happens, in art or in life.  Have any of y'all read this?

It's the story of a man whose life is changed by a dog and some superpowers, but the dog is by far the larger factor.  Maybe it's just because I'm an animal person, but it really touched me.  This is probably one of my favorite comic stories of all time.

In general, this series is fantastic, and it's worth talking about at large, but this particular arc really struck me.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Tbh,I fell a bit behind on it.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Been reading it since it began. I wasn't as taken with what I like calling the Story of Corgiman, though it was neat to see how the medallion corresponded to Stormhawk. Been more interested in the Broken Man storyline because it ties into something we saw wayback to the Confession limited and further back...

I also love getting the tradebooks for the character design process/ideas in the back. Very enlightening stuff.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

BentonGrey

HT, you need to catch up, man.  You really, really do.  There have been some absolutely stellar stories in the last few years.

DJ, ha, Corgiman was so very endearing.  I can only assume that it didn't get you as much because you're dead inside...and outside.   :P  The Broken Man story has been really fascinating, though there have been elements of it that I haven't enjoyed.  It is a good example of the power of this medium.  How did you like the Steeljack return? 

Yeah, the design info is often really cool.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Deaths Jester

It was nice to see Steeljack and Corsair again but the story was a bit too close to being a retread of 'jack's first story. That and I would've loved to see more of the "losers" like Springbok and Fix before they were killed...would've made it more meaningful.

HarryTrotter

Not much of an excuse,but...work.And rereading triangle era Superman.But I will get back to it.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

So after issue 52, Astro City will stop being an ongoing series in favor of graphic novels. Part of the reason has to do with scheduling, I think.  I know Busiek would like to be able to put the comic out on time but health issues and other real life problems with him, Ross, and Anderson have conspired against that happening. With the graphic novel, they have more time and can really tell the stories they want to without worrying about page length or schedules. Not sure how to feel about it though...

HarryTrotter

Freemantlemedia has aquired tv rights to Astro City.Which is cool but I dont think this could work as  tv show.Its a comic about comics,and as such incredibly medium referential.
It works because the reader can figure out that "this dude is like 70's Batman" and fill in the gaps that this is Ras Al Ghul and this is Thalia.That wont work for an average muggle watching a tv show.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

DJ: Well, that's a shame.  I suppose I'm just happy that we got so long a run of this series, which has been fantastic.  As long as they keep making them, I'll be happy.  If going the graphic novel route will allow them to do that, then I'm okay with it.

HT: Yeah, I'd say you're partially right.  You could tell a straight-forward superhero story with those characters, but that wouldn't really be Astro City.  The real thing won't work as well without some genre familiarity.  Still, that doesn't mean that it can't work at all.  A lot of the stories work just fine even if you aren't familiar with the genre conventions because they're about well-drawn characters and their struggles.  The biggest challenge will be the threshold of suspension of disbelief required by such a setting, where they don't bother to explain how an ancient god can attack the city or why there is a monstrous race living under the seas.  It's just a fantastical world, and that's all there is to it.  Yet, people are WAY more willing to accept that type of thing today thanks to the success of the various superhero movies and shows of the last decade and change.

God Bless

HarryTrotter

Suspension of disbelief is another phrase I hate.IMO,you dont have buy something as 100% belivable to enjoy it.Look at rubber foreheads in Star Trek,or every monster in Buffy.
On the other thing,I dont think superhero oversaturation helps its case.Most comic adaptations are really ashamed of being comic adaptation.Everything has to be downsized,downplayed,explained in technobabble,dressed in black leather,and in general be more realistic,edgier and muddled down.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 18, 2018, 05:26:10 PM
DJ: Well, that's a shame.  I suppose I'm just happy that we got so long a run of this series, which has been fantastic.  As long as they keep making them, I'll be happy.  If going the graphic novel route will allow them to do that, then I'm okay with it.

Their are going that route because it allows both Ross and Anderson a bit more time on the art and Busiek more time to work on the story. Kurt and Brent have both had health issues/real world stuff crop up off and on over the past year or two that made it hard for them to get the ongoing out in time (in fact, Anderson's issues kept him away from drawing there for quite a few issues and they were forced to scramble to get people in to fill his spot over that time period).  Also a few of the stories they have in mind fit better in a graphic novel form than in an ongoing series....I mean, the Broken Man storyline stretches back to the very first Astro City story....it needs more room to flourish than a monthly ongoing allows.