News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

STEALTH idea

Started by Red Fisser, December 29, 2017, 11:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Fisser

Is it possible to assign a certain object to make you invisible,for a small amount of time,at a certain radius?(kinda like with the dependency attribute,vulnerabiity etc)

Epimethee

Yes, you could use the Metal Eater attribute with a custom effect. The effect's duration would depend on the number of objects matching the template found within 25 metres.
http://ffx.freedomforceforever.com/manual/attributes/synergy.htm

The following code would go in fx.py, after the code block for "def gainSpeed(char,targets,array):"

def gainInvisibility(char,targets,array):
    power=len(targets)
    if power>0:
        playSynergyFXonTargets(char,targets,array)
        setInvisibleState(char, power*5) #you get 5 seconds per object found

Caveat emptor: Back up first, not tested. And, IIRC, we were pushing against the file size limit in ffx.py and/or ffxcustom.py. Hopefully adding 5 lines doesn't break something...
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Red Fisser

thanks for the assist Epimethee! I am not sure if I did something wrong but didn't get it to work.
Heres what I did=
First I placed the line at ffxpy, after the block def gainSpeed(etc) leaving one space before and after the next block.
Then I went to the ffx control center, and I erased on the effect tab of metal eater the leechHealth, and wrote myself gainInvisibility.
But ingame the effect is the leechHealth when close to metal(as normal).
Did I do something wrong?Should I put a line somewhere else ? If the problem is the capacity of the ffx py file,could it work if I woulld erase something from it?

Epimethee

Could you post your script.log file? Does it show any error when your test a character with this config in a mission? Sorry if I don't have better help, but while my Mac can run FFX, no such luck for the Control Centre. (And of course, it's been basically ten years since I worked on FFX.)

Red Fisser

Nah!My bad  :doh: Epimethee..it works! IT WORKS !!  :thumbup:
I think that can sign a new era of stealth mechanics for  :ffvstr: mods everywhere!
I am thinking of a custom map(of lets say someplace in gotham) where there are visuallised dark corners(in strategical  places), in which you have set the specific kind of invisible item,that will trigger your invisibility!

I can also think of a bat-swarm attack,in which you summon a great number of bats, and all of them are made out of that same material that makes you invisble, hence a place swarmed with bats can completely hide you from sight while it gives minions something else to hit(and perhaps give em some damage back)

Likewise it could work for a new kind of smokebombs , or perhaps in a warehouse, or a dark room which is lighted by a set of lambs, and in the case they should break, they could spawn in their places these same invisible items that will trigger invisibility!
That could perhaps simulate a pitch black room...and perhaps these invisible items can get destroyed,by their opposite, constant fire pointers..
Perhaps its time to start writing in the mods creation section, about how to build the fundamentals of the batman tas freeroam roguelike mod for ffvttr, I ve been thinking about..
Thank you so much Epimethee!

Epimethee

These are great ideas, Red Fisser! Glad that you succeeded in making the attribute customization work. :)

For some of the scenarios, maybe you could add ambient light change or set a visual effect (cf. below, and the corresponding section in ffx.py for a couple others). BTW, you might also check the utility function getNearLightSources() for the Stealthy attribute (one of my FFX 2 attributes which I never succeeded in porting to FFX 3 and FFvsTTR).

def gainInvisibility(char,targets,array):
    power=len(targets)
    duration=power*5 #you get 5 seconds per object found
    if power>0:
        playSynergyFXonTargets(char,targets,array)
        visualEffectHideWorld(char, duration)
        setInvisibleState(char, duration)

Red Fisser

Gee thanks Epimethee ! As I was thinking about the best visualization of stealth
it always bugged me how your character gets completely invisible(while thats convenient for your stealthy enemies to be out of your sight)though I suppose it would take some deep hardcoding to change an aspect such as this.
So I thought if it would  be possible to create an visual effect(like the fx's?)that would be nothing more than a character in his idle motion. My idea ie: say we have batman, he moves torwards the shadow area and triggers the invisibility effect, but instead of disappearing visually,completely,in his place is triggered this standard idle pose of batman> which hides his feet under his cape , hence making it a comfortable animation choice to use for both standing still and walking(not running,I will be using the sprint animation for that). Do all of the fxs have to be see through?Can it be done?

Epimethee

FXs can be opaque, so, that should work, yes. (I had at some point played with the idea of using FXs to create character equipment—can't remember why I didn't pursue this.)

However, I don't think FX can't have more than one single animation. You could work around this by creating different FXs for each animation. You'd lose the transition between animations, of course.

I haven't dug too much into FXs, so hopefully others will chime in. Otherwise, you could cross-post in the FX forum.

Red Fisser

Quote from: Epimethee on January 07, 2018, 04:57:52 AM
Otherwise, you could cross-post in the FX forum.
I might when I get to it. Right now I think its a priority to  (try) start making the batman tas mesh, from scratch,using 3ds max 5, and perhaps start a post with mod questions and or quest for recruits for a batman tas freeroam roguelike mod for :ffvstr: in which the stealth mechanic should be used to its full extend.(in case YOU are interested) 
I even made the first recruitment posters for the campaign  :D (art by bruce timm all copyrights where its due) :cool:

Epimethee

heroidosilencio

Is it possible to do this, withou FFX 3.3  being installed??  :unsure:

Epimethee

That code is not specific to FFX 3.3. But without any version of FFX, you'll need to implement quite a bit of additional code.