News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mutants & Masterminds - Table Talk

Started by Reepicheep, January 03, 2018, 03:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reepicheep

Oh totally. Go ahead and post IF; ELSE statements. In fact, feel free to post ahead until the point you no longer have the knowledge to proceed. I'll accomodate as best as I can.

For brainscanning (we should probably decide on a term) let me know in the narrative when you're trying it. I'll roll awareness, and that result would account for until the scene significantly changes. Similarly, you only get one chance of succeeding telepathy with an individual until that character goes through some sort of state change. Otherwise you could just reroll failures. (Which is allowed, actually, if you spend a hero point).

UnkoMan

I like brainscanning. (for love of the mid '90s movie) I'll try to make it stick, but I might slip up.
Ahhh, okay. That's how it operates. That makes sense, thank you. Good to know.

UnkoMan

Hey DJ!
I figured you had some sort of mental blocks. Taken into account. Internal monologue, and secret thoughts, all yours.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I am perfectly fine with Bill acting as a translator.  It works somehow.

Also this storyline has kinda fixed the origin of my character's powers, or at least the monkey side.  It forms a complete contrast with what the Queen Ant went through though.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I realize that I just inadvertently implied that there are a bunch of other superpower Capunchins running around somewhere.  Eh, whatever.

EDIT: Also note that this isn't intend to have anythign to do with the currently storyline, although Reep can do what he wants with it.  I just though of it when Queen Started communicating and the lab thing had been mentioned.

UnkoMan

I'd say just use normal quotations for speaking, unless you want to send a message that only she can hear. Or, at least, once we get to know each other better. I suppose your character would be use to mind-speak with an animal.
Her telepathy isn't meant to be too deep, honestly. Using a person's emotions and forefront thoughts she is picking up on the sounds they are making. Though now I'm thinking it would have been cool to take a bunch of sweet mental powers.

It's basically just a way for an ant to communicate with the people around her (and with all the other ants in her colony, or others). But useful for "passing secret notes," and detecting the presence and intent of other people. Possible communication link in the future, ala Mentor?

Sorry, didn't mean to get all confusing with it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Since Wild Card mostly doesn't get your telepathy, I figured when the three are around each other, it could be confusing if I didnt' distinguish between what he says out loud and what he says mentally.  That's why I switched to italics.  I could see that becoming more confusing than it needs to be.

Deaths Jester

...And great, I'm the only single mind, non-experiment/test subject PC...yay...

As for mental blocks, I wouldn't exactly say so...more like previous training perhaps...that's up to Reep really. As for the inner monologue, it's a way to drop hints and slight clues to other players. about my character and the mystery about him. Kinda a way to increase the confusion/mystery surrounding him.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Reepicheep

To be a bit more clear about Queen Ant's powers, it is kind of a one way street. Queen Ant has a very high awareness score and insight skill, so can naturally pick up on vibes, but she doesn't have a mind reading effect.

The advantages of her particular powers is that she is able to speak to anyone of any language, speak at a greater distance, and select the recipient without being heard by anyone else. She can understand any language, but they have to be spoken to her verbally for the message to get through in their entirety.

Since Bill Morgan also has a similar effect, though limited to animals, he can send messages back. Which basically means you guys can talk behind DJ's back. I didn't really think this one through.

The power is as 'effective' as normal talking. This means that the recipient can opt to ignore it. It isn't forced into a character's mind.

In both cases, you need to be willing to share your thoughts. Unless there were an uncontrolled modifier on your communication effects (which would be super interesting), you can communicate how you see fit. DJ can keep his thoughts to himself. You'd both only understand him if he actually spoke to you.

Hope that helps.

Deaths Jester

catwhowalksbyhimself

Technically, Bill Morgan himself is a PC, and is not an experimental test subject.  At this point I assume his powers were just something he was born with, although I may come up with a more specific explanation later.  Don't plan on it though.

Deaths Jester

I went and updated/add a long spoiler to my "wander to computer" post so everyone understands why WC doing that. Don't worry, he'll get back to Josef but he wants to spend time finding out stuff since he didn't get the chance to because BM and QA seemed to wander into the room just a few seconds after he got there.

Reepicheep

Just to warn you all, during weekdays I'm gonna have to start updating in UK evenings only. Trying to fit in time to update in the morning before work is really, really crunch. And it's when I usually watch the news, so now I've got a few days of reality to catch up on because I've been writing about superheroes.

Deaths Jester

Sounds like a good idea to me, Reep! Means get a post in once a day in response to what you describe...so I don't have to stop and check every few hours. I like that!

Reepicheep

Yeah, exactly. Though don't feel like you must post immediately after each update. I do take the laptop with all the character sheets into work. I can make minor updates for minor actions, with one daily major update.

Having said all that, I forgot to mention I work from home on Fridays. Which is practically the same as not working at all. At the time of writing, I am in my dressing gown and pyjamas. It's great. I just hope nobody comes to the door on Friday mornings.

I'm about to make an update since I missed yesterday evening, but it's gonna be a heck of a doozy to work through.

Cat suggested a little while ago about putting the character sheets on a google drive. I may be able to password protect each of them for you individually if I do that. Does anyone know more about google drives than I do to know if that's possible? I've always found it a bit too clunky.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I actually wasn't talking about Google Drive, but Google Spreadsheets.  Each sheet can be individually protected and shared.  However, if you've already got a setup you want to work with, it might be more trouble than its worth.

Reepicheep

I think there's value in you guys being able to quickly refer to your own character sheets. That way you can get a better feel for what your characters' strengths and weaknesses are and how you might be able to apply your characters to situations.

Also, to repeat a spoiler I made on the IC thread to settle my concerns with attacking objects:

I finally got an answer to attacking objects. Objects don't make resistance checks, they just take the damage based on the difference between Bill's weaken effect and the Toughness of the object. That means that Bill's shatter effect will always destroy anything equal to one inch of stone (which a clumsily made barricade I imagine to be less) during action, but may routinely destroy sturdier things outside of action (My discretion will be involved). Otherwise, he will lower the toughness of the object down to the difference of his weaken effect.

Quote from: Page 188Objects do not get resistance checks; the effect works on the targeted object at its maximum degree of success. At the GM's discretion, someone holding, carrying, or wear- ing an object can make a Dodge resistance check against the effect, representing pulling the object out of the way at the last moment.

Drove me nuts trying to find that.

Deaths Jester

I'll say that I will probably only get to post once or twice a day over the weekends cause of a lack of steady internet connection.

As for the character sheets, I've a copy of mine (the most recent one before the considered rejig) on a flash drive that I keep with me.

Oh and Reep...trying to recreate Pack Rat again? ;-)

Reepicheep

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Reepicheep on February 09, 2018, 02:38:40 PM
I knew you'd spot that.

The slime threw me off originally but once I saw that Jasper there had animal legs and combined with the rats in the other room....I still got to go in there at some point, must remember that.....it kind of came together....

Reepicheep

I was going to use the existing Pack Rat character in the first design for this scene, but it became increasingly clear that a new character could kill two birds with one stone.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Reepicheep on February 09, 2018, 03:05:31 PM
I was going to use the existing Pack Rat character in the first design for this scene, but it became increasingly clear that a new character could kill two birds with one stone.

That and Pack Rat would've killed these three characters in no time...

I'll also try to get the combat actions page together and up somewhere so everyone can know what they can do...some time today...

UnkoMan

So, I am also in a new position. Thurs-Sun, but I have to get up early in the morning and can't mess around with the internet until the evening. My posts will come slow as well. Too bad because I just started some action!!!

What's this Pack Rat character? I guess I'll find out!

As for google drive/docs, which is basically the same jazz, you can indeed just share individual files. Right click the file, get the share link, make sure the file's permissions is "anyone with the link can share" or "can edit" if you want us to be able to change our own. Send the link.
Only to the file, not to the folder. Then we can only access our own file, and done! I use google docs for lots of things, from music and video colabs, to just showing of pictures, to work documents, etc etc.
(I am not affiliated with google.)

Okay, so... I'm going to hold everybody up now because I have to leave soon. Sorry!

Reepicheep

No trouble at all! Waiting on players or myself to post is going to be a tone for the game, so we might as well get used to it.

Pack Rat isn't involved in this campaign. He's an example character available in the corebook and appears in a couple of basic guides. Jasper Forbes (spoiler: his name is Lab Rat. Proud of that) is just loosely modelled off him somewhat.

From memory, I think Pack Rat is PL9. You'd have been able to take him.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Reepicheep on February 09, 2018, 03:19:20 PM
No trouble at all! Waiting on players or myself to post is going to be a tone for the game, so we might as well get used to it.

Pack Rat isn't involved in this campaign. He's an example character available in the corebook and appears in a couple of basic guides. Jasper Forbes (spoiler: his name is Lab Rat. Proud of that) is just loosely modelled off him somewhat.

From memory, I think Pack Rat is PL9. You'd have been able to take him.

Pack Rat is not in the corebook, he only shows up in the Threat guide...and he's PL11...that and he comes with minions...so we would've been spanked at the moment....

UnkoMan

Took a hit... Aw, rats! See what I did there? Ha ha ha.

I got to check out how HP works in this game again. I think it was a few levels of states?

I'm going to wait for the others to post before I make my next move. Organ King might have a way to back me up here, since he'd have just seen what went down.

Deaths Jester

Actually, I'd be more useful in combat I think (not sure as I've no idea about other folks characters) but I can't get there even though Bill is calling for help even though WC told him to get in the room - and thus out of my character's way so he could safely attack without hitting someone else. Oh well...way things go...nobody seems to hear or listen to WC anyways...wheee...

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, is the thing Lab Rat is holding considered under Total Cover or just Partial Cover for combat?

catwhowalksbyhimself

I did go into that room.  I said to break the barrier, then walk into it.  As far as I know, I'm not in the way.  In case I actually am, I added an optional movement.

Deaths Jester

The fact that Reep didn't roll an initiative for you after you shattered the barricade is why I don't think you might have. Reep might've just missed it, unsure, but at least with the edit we know for sure you are there now.

UnkoMan

What do total and partial cover mean? Is this for attacking the object?

Unfortunately my ants don't have enough experience with people yet. Durrrr. She might be a super fast learner, but go to have experiences first, and has to get used to, you know... considering other people. Actually talking to you guys, and whatnot.
Hope I don't get immediately curb stomped though!