Help with FX for Both FF1 and FFv3rdReich

Started by aaron.joshua, January 16, 2018, 11:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron.joshua

Hi all
I recently got back to freedom force and installed the ffx mods and EZFxs. I am playing on a mac using wineskin so I cant use FFedit/ dont know how to
The attributes work fine, but the FX for the powers isnt visually appearing when I make a custom hero. The game reads it ex. (FX_CaptainAmerica_ShieldThrow) in the projectile power drop down menu, but theres no animation.

for  :ffvstr: I downloaded the marvel adventures mod and replaced the original dat file with the mod's dat file (fx.dat and sound.dat)  along with the art and nifs for the fx. No animation but the all the powers can be seen in the power selection drop down menu

Any help would be appreciated.

BentonGrey

Howdy Aaron, if I'm understanding correctly, the trouble is that, when creating custom characters through the in-game editor, you're not able to select animations with powers?  That sounds like the problem is that you are missing keyframes (animations) for the mesh in question.  Which mesh are you using, and are you sure you have the right keys?

For example, switching out the dats with those of my mod won't also give you all the art assets from it (you'd need to copy them from the mod's Art folder as well). 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

aaron.joshua

Hi Benton,
I can see the list of powers but theres no animation. Ex I can see cap shield throw GA and web shot but when I select it no animation or art appear.
I reinstalled EZ FX and ffx3 for :ffvstr: now nothing is showing up at all.

I think its either a dat issue or an art issue?

BentonGrey

Okay, now I understand.  That means that the FX art assets are missing.  Of course, reinstalling EZ FX should have fixed at least some of that.  If you want the FX from my Marvel mod, just copy the FX.dat and Sound.dat into your chosen directory, then go back and copy the Art/Library/FX directory and the Sounds/Powers directory into there as well.  That should give you what you need.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

aaron.joshua

No such luck  Benton, replaced the files and it didnt change anything.

For  :ffvstr: I can't see the new FXs in the drop down menu

Cyber Burn

Just out of curiosity, are you playing the Main Game, FFX, or the MA Mod?

aaron.joshua

Main game for both

for  :ffvstr: the -log command works, the attributes work perfectly but -ffx3 wont run even though I put -game ffx3 on the EXE flags.

Cyber Burn

If I remember correctly, the MA Mod is based on FFX, so if I'm not going through the Main Game to play, then I'm usually going through the MA Mod.

As for your FX issue, if you copied the (FX.dat) and the (Sounds.dat) from the MA Mod, and pasted them into your Main Game's "Data" Folder, then you also need to copy the entire "FX" Folder from the MA Mod, and paste it into your "Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Art\library\" Folder.

Additionally, for me, I went ahead and just copied the entire "Sounds" Folder from the MA Mod, and then pasted it into my "Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\" Folder.

Hopefully, this will allow you to see your FX in game.

aaron.joshua

hi cyber
no luck still. None of the FXs are appearing now for  :ffvstr:
for  :ff: I can see the FXs but theres no art/animation/effect.

Cyber Burn

Is there any way that you could take a screenshot of what you ARE seeing? Maybe that will help in contrast to trying to understand what you ARE NOT seeing.

aaron.joshua

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 03, 2018, 01:21:44 AM
Is there any way that you could take a screenshot of what you ARE seeing? Maybe that will help in contrast to trying to understand what you ARE NOT seeing.

I have the screenshots ready how do i post it on the forum sorry for the noob question lol

spydermann93

Host them on an image site like Imgur and then copy the link to the image.

When making a post, there should be an icon that looks like the Mona Lisa underneath the Bold button. Click that and IMG tags will appear. Place the image link between the tags and then click "Post" once all of your images have been added.

Then you could be good to go!

spydermann93

A few things that you should make sure are right:

1) For :ff: and :ffvstr:, make sure that the FX are in the right place. For example, for "FX_CAP_SHIELD," you should see a "cap_shield" folder in your "FFInstalFolder\Data\Art\library\fx\generic" directory. There should also be some textures in the "FFInstalFolder\Data\Art\library\fx\_textures" directory, too, but those are less obvious and their names don't always match up with the FX.

2) It seems like in your :ff: installation, all of the FX have been added to the dat file, but it doesn't look like the FX themselves are in the right place. See number one to see if those folders exist or not.

3) For :ffvstr:, it seems like you don't have the FX added to the .dat files at all. If you're looking at the vanilla game, i.e. the game without any mods, take a look at the "FFInstalFolder\Data" directory using FFEdit* and look at the fx and sounds tabs. If those don't have the names of any of the FX like "fx_cap_shield," then they were not installed properly. If you are using a mod, look at the "FFInstalFolder\YourModName" directory with FFEdit instead.

If it's not an issue of any of the above, then we can try digging a little deeper.

*If you don't know how to use FFEdit, we can show you how.

aaron.joshua

for  :ff: yes its not there in the generic directory so that solves the issue!

For  :ffvstr: Im playing it on a mac through porting kit so I cant use FFedit. Any suggestions

spydermann93

Were you using Alex's EZFX pack for :ffvstr:?

Or are you using something else?

spydermann93

Try rerunning the installer, then. I believe that his pack is Mac compatible, so it may have been installed to the wrong location. The .dat files should have been added to the Data folder and I don't think that using a Mac would have affected the installation.

aaron.joshua

:ff: is fixed everything is perfect now!
for  :ffvstr: I reinstalled it and not all of the FXs are showing up not a complete loss but its better than before. I think  I just have to fix the file paths now

Thanks guys!