News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Desert Map? HELP!

Started by OrWolvie1, January 26, 2018, 03:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrWolvie1

Hello one and all. I am finding myself in need of a desert terrain military base. Kind of like the airstrip map but with a asphalt tarmac and a desert background. I suppose i could try my hand at mapmaking but considering my past history, I'm not real sure about that. Any thoughts or ideas or help out there??

daglob

Like I said, there has to be a desert map, cuz I used it one to have Wyle E. chase the Road Runner around Marvin and some Martians. I don't have it on my hard drive now; I guess I need to generate a spreadsheet of maps and stuff so I can find it.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: daglob on January 26, 2018, 04:10:13 AM
Like I said, there has to be a desert map, cuz I used it one to have Wyle E. chase the Road Runner around Marvin and some Martians. I don't have it on my hard drive now; I guess I need to generate a spreadsheet of maps and stuff so I can find it.

Well, I've found a couple, but there is just bare terrain, which is fine, but what I'm looking for is a totally flat map, kind of like Dana's Mars map, which I've thought about using as a base, as well as one called "desert road" which has some of the elements I'm looking for, but I'm not sure how to create a blacktop, then adding the buildings, fences, etc etc. Like i said, I'm out of my element a bit. But i can try I guess and see what happens.

UnkoMan

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/2455688dit53d/FRP2_Backups

If you don't like any of the desert maps, because they have little raised bits, then yes just go with a 100% flat map like the one you are probably talking about, and edit the textures to be whatever kind of sand you want. Then you will have flat sand.

Then you open FFEdit, go to the Missions tab, Load the map, make sure both "Layout" and "Objects" are checked (below the "Mission Objects" list) and delete everything except the very top _impobj_0, because that will be the nif for the "floor" of the map!
Now when you hit Edit In-Game you will open another window and you can hit C and add whatever objects you want to your map! It sounds like you want some kind of solid flat plane to go on top of the desert, on which to add your buildings? I dunno if that's a standard object already somewhere, or if you need to find a custom mesh, but I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me could help. I am looking into something similar though, to lay down a grass terrain on a different mesh, so I will let you know if I find one.

Cyber Burn gave me this useful link when I was getting back into maps: http://www.mediafire.com/file/c0hu3xwkx5hzccq/Map_Making_Files.7z
And since then I have already been teaching myself a lot. It starts a bit confusing but the more you do, the more you know.

Feel free to add questions or comments in either my or your thread over in the Mods section. I think that's the right section for map making? Anybody correct me if I am wrong, though!

Good luck!

OrWolvie1

Quote from: UnkoMan on January 26, 2018, 06:43:57 AM
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/2455688dit53d/FRP2_Backups

If you don't like any of the desert maps, because they have little raised bits, then yes just go with a 100% flat map like the one you are probably talking about, and edit the textures to be whatever kind of sand you want. Then you will have flat sand.

Then you open FFEdit, go to the Missions tab, Load the map, make sure both "Layout" and "Objects" are checked (below the "Mission Objects" list) and delete everything except the very top _impobj_0, because that will be the nif for the "floor" of the map!
Now when you hit Edit In-Game you will open another window and you can hit C and add whatever objects you want to your map! It sounds like you want some kind of solid flat plane to go on top of the desert, on which to add your buildings? I dunno if that's a standard object already somewhere, or if you need to find a custom mesh, but I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me could help. I am looking into something similar though, to lay down a grass terrain on a different mesh, so I will let you know if I find one.

Cyber Burn gave me this useful link when I was getting back into maps: http://www.mediafire.com/file/c0hu3xwkx5hzccq/Map_Making_Files.7z
And since then I have already been teaching myself a lot. It starts a bit confusing but the more you do, the more you know.

Feel free to add questions or comments in either my or your thread over in the Mods section. I think that's the right section for map making? Anybody correct me if I am wrong, though!

Good luck!

I saw that same link and it's proving to be quite useful, though it's proving to be a very tetius process. But yes, that's what I'm talking about exactly. I found  one map that I can cannibalize, but I haven't figured out how to add different textures to the base map yet. I'm sure there's a way to do it, just not quite sure how yet. Thus far, it's been trial and error; alot of trying and quite a few errors  :banghead:

UnkoMan

If you have the map, then you are half way there. You will notice that it uses specific textures already. Easiest thing to do is to make a new textures folder under area_specific\whatever name you want.
This will need textures for every piece you are using on that map. Then just change the textures the map already uses.
You can also redirect the textures with nifskope, but I've found a bunch of them are linked together and I'm not sure how to unlink them yet.

Changing textures they already use is pretty simple, though.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: UnkoMan on January 26, 2018, 06:39:41 PM
If you have the map, then you are half way there. You will notice that it uses specific textures already. Easiest thing to do is to make a new textures folder under area_specific\whatever name you want.
This will need textures for every piece you are using on that map. Then just change the textures the map already uses.
You can also redirect the textures with nifskope, but I've found a bunch of them are linked together and I'm not sure how to unlink them yet.

Changing textures they already use is pretty simple, though.

I'll have to play around with it when I have some free time, maybe this weekend.  :wacko: