Sentinels of Freedom--the next Freedom Force?

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, February 08, 2018, 10:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Turn-based rather than real time, but still.  It's a tactical superhero game where you can build your own heroes.  It's also set in the Sentinels of the Multiverse universe.

https://www.sentinelsoffreedomgame.com/
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

spydermann93

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 08, 2018, 10:10:00 PMTurn-based rather than real time, but still.

Oh...

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 08, 2018, 10:10:00 PMIt's a tactical superhero game where you can build your own heroes.

MY...

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 08, 2018, 10:10:00 PMIt's also set in the Sentinels of the Multiverse universe.

GOD!!! GET HYPED!

I can't wait!

UnkoMan

Um, yeah, I don't know the universe but I am super down for this. Actually when I very first played FF I wished it was more like Jagged Alliance. I grew to love it, but I basically would pause all the time to assign orders.
Let's hope this is nearly as moddable!

(If it is... FF fan remake in turn based world? No, that's crazy talk.)

spydermann93

Quote from: UnkoMan on February 09, 2018, 12:46:55 AM(If it is... FF fan remake in turn based world? No, that's crazy talk.)

It would be crazy to NOT talk about that! :P

My hope is that the create a character system isn't too restricted. Sometimes I wish that I could do more in FF with my characters. The 1-10 point scale is a bit too restrictive on giving a sense of scale. FFX3 helps a lot with that, but there's still so much more that I would like to see in FF, and hopefully this game will deliver.

It definitely helps that I really enjoy the Sentinels universe :P

detourne_me

OK,  i'm definitely gonna pitch in on Kickstarter for this!  I love the X-Com games, and a superhero version sounds perfect.  If it's moddable I'll be in heaven!

Reepicheep

I have to be honest, I don't love the art style they're showing. The wide eyed, pixar look is a bit too... flat? for comic book superheroes. It makes me feel like any hero I make can be a goofy cartoon or go home.

The setting they're showing looks just like Freedom Force, though. It can't not be inspired. That's pretty exciting.

Panther_Gunn

I agree, perhaps a little too cartoony for my tastes, having been spoiled by FF and *lots* of awesome work by many people here.  However, what are the odds that it will have a similar enough graphics engine that we can steal assets from it to import into FF?  *That* has me excited.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

UnkoMan

I don't mind the cartoony styles too much, but... It makes me think that custom characters won't be nearly as customizable as FF, as in making your own skins/models/FX/etc.
It makes me think more like, pick a few costume pieces, add some colour. Probably not even to Champions or CoH levels.
So that's a thing that WORRIES me, if they go that route.

I guess we'll learn more when we learn more.

If they ARE opening to modding then why stop with FF assets? Now that I've seen so many people exporting from many games into FF, well... it opens possibilities. (and another round of copyright infringement claims)

catwhowalksbyhimself

Their previous game does not appear to be moddable at all, so I would hold that part of the enthusiasm.  It would be nice, but I do have my doubts as far as modding goes.

spydermann93

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 10, 2018, 01:28:23 AM
Their previous game does not appear to be moddable at all, so I would hold that part of the enthusiasm.  It would be nice, but I do have my doubts as far as modding goes.

That would be a super shame if that remains true.

I think I would still get the game, but it probably wouldn't hold my interest nearly as long as FF has.

Epimethee

Thanks for sharing, Cat! There's of course not much to see at this stage and the current artwork leaves me lukewarm (the again, the preliminary screenshots during Freedom Force's development weren't exactly exciting), but the gameplay could be solid. I'll have to remember to check this when they launch the Kickstarter.

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on February 09, 2018, 08:29:28 PMHowever, what are the odds that it will have a similar enough graphics engine that we can steal assets from it to import into FF?
I'm pretty sure that they're using Unity 3D. So no *direct* compatibility with the ancient NetImmerse/Gamebryo format used in FF/FFvstTR, but—IF MODDABLE—access to a huge library and possibility to use Blender etc.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

catwhowalksbyhimself

BentonGrey

I'm not all that impressed with what I'm seeing.  It seems more like a mobile game than a full computer game.  It doesn't even look like the environments are destructible.  Shame.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 03, 2018, 04:51:37 PM
I'm not all that impressed with what I'm seeing.  It seems more like a mobile game than a full computer game.  It doesn't even look like the environments are destructible.  Shame.

It's a small budget game by a small group of developers.  You seem to be expecting a big budget game.  They don't have those kinds of resources.

detourne_me

Their Kickstarter just started, and they've almost filled their goal!
http://kck.st/2GvRItR

kkhohoho

The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

bearded

Quote from: Epimethee on February 14, 2018, 07:27:38 PM
Thanks for sharing, Cat! There's of course not much to see at this stage and the current artwork leaves me lukewarm (the again, the preliminary screenshots during Freedom Force's development weren't exactly exciting), but the gameplay could be solid. I'll have to remember to check this when they launch the Kickstarter.

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on February 09, 2018, 08:29:28 PMHowever, what are the odds that it will have a similar enough graphics engine that we can steal assets from it to import into FF?
I'm pretty sure that they're using Unity 3D. So no *direct* compatibility with the ancient NetImmerse/Gamebryo format used in FF/FFvstTR, but—IF MODDABLE—access to a huge library and possibility to use Blender etc.

When I was trying to do this, I did discover how to convert all FF to unity. So...if it is even a little bit moddable, I can get those models and animations in.

Epimethee

Quote from: bearded on April 06, 2018, 02:12:31 AM
When I was trying to do this, I did discover how to convert all FF to unity. So...if it is even a little bit moddable, I can get those models and animations in.
Impressive and definitively interesting, B!

P.S.: Good to see you again. :)

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 04, 2018, 01:28:53 AM
It's a small budget game by a small group of developers.  You seem to be expecting a big budget game.  They don't have those kinds of resources.

I understand that, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not that impressed by what I'm seeing.  I don't know if a game that limited would interest me.  I'll keep an eye on it to see, though.

Cool Bearded, and also good to see you around!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 10, 2018, 01:54:06 AM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 04, 2018, 01:28:53 AM
I don't know if a game that limited would interest me.

You do realize that rules out nearly every low-budget indie game known to man, right? With that sort of mindset, you're keeping yourself from playing a lot of great games right there.

BentonGrey

Sheesh, Kk, I'm talking specifically about this game.  It's a superhero game that is trying to mix X-Com and Freedom Force in a sense.  The concept really appeals to me, but the execution doesn't seem to have the kinds of things I'd want from that type of game.  I'm happy to play indy games when they are what I want, especially when its a matter of simple, entertaining gameplay and a concept that doesn't matter to me.  Nation Red is one of my favorite time wasters, but I generally desire more substantive games.
God Bless

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 10, 2018, 01:32:16 PM
Sheesh, Kk, I'm talking specifically about this game.  It's a superhero game that is trying to mix X-Com and Freedom Force in a sense.  The concept really appeals to me, but the execution doesn't seem to have the kinds of things I"d want from that type of game.  I'm happy to play indy games when they are what I want, especially when its a matter of simple, entertaining gameplay and a concept that doesn't matter to me.  Nation Red is one of my favorite time wasters, but I generally desire more substantive games.

And I understand that. But knocking this just because it doesn't have a bigger budget or more 'substance' despite clearly being a smaller scale indie game still seems wrong somehow. You could at least give it some slack.

BentonGrey

I'm not saying it's bad; I'm just saying that I was excited when I heard about it and disappointed by what I saw.  If y'all see enough here that you like to support it, that's great.
God Bless

spydermann93

catwhowalksbyhimself

spydermann93

Thank goodness they unlocked the Combat Simulator! A "Rumble Room" gamemode is always something that I love in my games. Sometimes I just want to mess around, you know?

Portal

I am super hyped for this game.  Thank you for the information catwhowalksbyhimself.

The only way it could replace  :ff: or  :ffvstr: though is if it has the full moddability of those two games.

Epimethee

From what I've seen, I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll enjoy the game, but not expecting a spiritual successor to Freedom Force. Apart from its then-new theme and exceptional mod-friendliness, a major strength of FF was its audio-visual art direction. SoF seems rather weak in this department. Of course, it's still in alpha, so things can can change (as they did in FF, as can attest those of us who can remember the rather plain screenshots published before its release).

Epimethee

After being put off by how clumsy the game looked when first playing, I've finally gotten around to play it for a few hours this weekend.

This really feels like a tech demo for a turn-based version of the first FF game. The art direction, music, dialogs and interface are, well̵̵... Let's just say FF was exceptional, and, in that regard, Sentinels is anything but. However, where the real-time squad combat of FF was usually clunky, the turn-based combat mechanics of Sentinels are quite interesting and might well make it worth your time. So far, there isn't much of a storyline, but the developer is planning to add new chapters soon.

Sanity tip: Mute the game's music and instead play the FF music in the background.

abenavides

I bought it on launch day but have only put in a couple of hrs. Need to get back to give it more of a go.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.